• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My cockatiel is seriously sick

soha

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sohayla
Hello everyone,
I really need your advice on what to do ..

My cockatiel (Richard) started sneezing about ten days ago. When the sneezing didn't stop I took him to the vet on the fifth day. The vet gave me two immunity enhancement medications to be put in his drinking water, one in the morning and one in the evening.
I followed the vet's instructions religiously, but instead of improving he became lethargic. The sneezing stopped but he seemed to be having trouble breathing.
What freaked me out this morning is that I found one eye protruding to the outside and it seems he completely lost sight in it. But it is still moving.
Nothing seems wrong in the eye itself but it looks as if something is pushing it from the inside.

Just for context, I live in Egypt, there are no avian vets here. All vets know how to deal with dogs and cats but seem clueless when it comes to company birds. And they always give the same medication for everything.

I have completely lost all hope in vets helping Richard. So I started him on a course (just gave him one dose) of amoxicillin/clavulanic acid 125 mg /kg (so I give him ~ 11.4 mg for his weight of 90 grams) three times a day.
As I said I just gave him one dose 4 hours ago. So I still don't know if it'll make any difference. And I am starting to worry if I am not supposed to give him antibiotics, what if I overdose him ? Kidney failure?

Today he is not eating or drinking and is staying put without moving unless provoked.

Also , my best guess about the eye is that some fluid retention due to the respiratory infection is causing pressure on it. Will the problem go away once the infection is treated ?

Should I give him the antibiotic or let his body deal with the infection on its own?

I am really scared to take him to a vet who messes things up even more.. at the same time I need the opinion of someone who knows what they're doing.

Please give me your advice.
Thanks.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I'm really sorry for your bird . Most countries that hunt with falcons or eagles have avian vets for them .

So many conditions can seem the same, there really is no way to know..if it is viral or fungal antibiotics won't help.

But one of the likely things to think about is avian clymadia.
You can read my story here, and I did have one bird get red tinge eye with swelling, with pic example. But nothing like you are talking.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Can you share a pic?