• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Budgies confounding poop.

Drakitty

Meeting neighbors
So over the last two day my budgie has woken up with poop on his butt. he gets the occasional sticky poop during the day but it always comes off on it's own. Day before yesterday I noticed a significant amount of poop stuck to his vent. I cleaned it off and watched him. No more stuck poops and he acted normally all day, he had been sleeping crammed into a corner with his butt on a pvc pipe. I figured the pipe was blocking the poop from falling.

Yesterday morning when I got him up he had poop again, this time he was sleeping on a rope and it was clear to fall. Although his tail is always angled down and not out from his body so he seems to get more stuck poop more often than other budgies. I cleaned the poop off and soaked their evening feed in water. In the AM they get a veggie chop and in the evening they get a seed pellet mix.

Last night after the soaked feed he went and slept on the pipe again. This morning instead of caked poop there was one stuck poop. I suspect he isnt hydrating properly before bed, even though the aviary has 3 sources of water. 2 of which have daily probiotics added to them.

He has weighed fine, 33 grams pretty consistently including over the last 3 days. His over all feather condition is good, although he is just finishing up a molt. And when I grab him to check his breast bone, the breast meat is nice and flush with the bone. But I can still feel the bone, so he's right where he should be mass wise. And he is eating heartily, singing songs and playing with the other birds.

I'm going to call my veterinarian this morning and see what he says but some advice would be appreciated. And I have included a photo of Boo two the budgie so you can see the way he holds his tail. This photo is a pretty good representation of how he holds his tail even though hes on my shoulder.

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

Drakitty

Meeting neighbors
I left a voice mail with my vet yesterday. And am waiting to hear back. But I belive that it is a hydration issue. I have been soaking the evening feed in the refrigerator while I'm at work. This morning his butt looked good! No blockages and it's not red or irritated looking. The poops were moist instead of slightly tacky like yesterdays poop.

Unless my vet tells me otherwise I'm going to call this case solved. I'll update when I hear back from my vet.

Drakitty

Meeting neighbors
So spoke with my vet last night. With the fact that I live in the tropics and recent happenings, I lost a chicken to bacterial infection in December. We agreed that it was beat to do a fecal float and gram stain. All the birds had a float and gram stain at the end of December and everyone came out clean. So I'll be taking that today. The parrots go in for thier second annual check up in Febuary.

Drakitty

Meeting neighbors
Fecal float and smear are clean. Gram stain flora was adequate, vet recomended increasing his bacterial flora with probiotics. Which I have on hand, guess I'll put it in the food as well as the water.

Drakitty

Meeting neighbors
Still getting the occasional sticky poop at night. Going to text my vet. Gotta love technology.