• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My budgie still doesnt trust me

peluche

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi guys! I have a budgie of almost two years, her name is Lemon. I need help because to this day she still doesn't trust me. From the first day we got her, my brother dropped her cage and I had to place her back with my own hands, so I'm afraid she never got over her fear of me. She won't leave her cage and she won't eat fruit; she runs aways whenever I have some in my hand, and she won't eat her regular food if there is fruit or vegetables in it. I am at a loss at what to do and I no longer wish for her to be a decoration in her cage. She has only ever left her cage a couple of times, and it seems like she prefers to stay inside. Do you have any tips on how to win her trust even if it is a little too late in the game? Any advice will be very much appreciated. Thank you!

Nimbus

Meeting neighbors
Welcome!
I’m still pretty new here myself, so don’t take my advice on it’s own, but I think I have some ideas that could help you out. :)

The main thing is to go at her pace - if she freaks out when you go near the cage, then come as close as she’s comfortable with and talk to her. When she gets used to that, start getting closer, and so on. Eventually you can start resting your hands outside the cage, feeding her millet through the bars, and putting a hand inside.

My budgies aren’t totally comfortable around hands yet, so I wear long sleeved shirts and cover most of my hands with them - they hop up without hesitation.
You could try something like this, or see if she’ll step onto a dowel/perch to be moved in/out of the cage.

She should be allowed to come out of the cage if she wants to. Even if she refuses to be taken out, you can hang out in the room to supervise with the cage door open.

As for her diet, I’m afraid I’m in a similar situation: both of mine refuse any and all fresh food/pellets. The only advice I can give is to keep trying. Something will spark her interest eventually, and you can build from there.

Again, I’m not nearly as experienced as some of the people on here, and I will of course defer to the experts, but I hope some of my input helps you out. Good luck with Lemon!
:)

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
If she's a cage bound bird then please get her a partner. That will make her happier and possibly trust you if you gain the trust of the new bird. Make sure her cage is big enough too. Please consider a partner

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
:welave:
Use the search feature here at AA in the top right hand corner, and search for taming your budgie, or similar!
And a big welcome to you! A 2 year old birdie CAN learn new "tricks"!