• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My budgie doesn’t seem interested in me

ChloeBalle

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Chloe
I have been working with my budgie for a few months now. He used to jump up onto my hand and seemed interested in being with me. He started biting when I put my hand in the cage roughly 2 weeks ago. I have worked on the biting and he does it less now. But he doesn’t seem interested in me anymore and won’t come onto my hand. He is less than a year old. I am being patient with him and working on it but am wondering if there is something I should be doing to help him? CD6F940F-7DAB-4DBF-AE00-C01CAD58A718.jpeg

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gary
Some birds dislike having a hand stuck inside their cages. You might try putting a hanging perch on the outside of your budgie's cage, just below the door. Whenever you want to invite him out, open the door and if he's in the mood, he can just step out onto the hanging perch. He may be more willing to step up from the outside perch too. Otherwise, you might spend time sitting near your budgie's cage, just hanging out with him and talking to him. He might prefer that to being outside his cage for the time being, and before long will want more physical interaction with you again.