• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My boy Sun Conure passed away... need advice !!!

Conurelvr

Moving in
Real Name
J
we had two beautiful Sun conures born together lived together loved together for 10+ years almost 11 years. We just lost our beloved boy just over a week ago.
Coconut was such a loveable clown acted like he thought any day he would finally grow up to be a real human boy...big hole in our hearts our home is too quiet...
Mango our girl was having a rough time with things she is more reserved but loves to chat with what we call "yard birds" those outside.
We have been giving her so much extra live and time but we can tell she wants to at least be able to talk to another bird.
We took her to a boader (ewe should be closed down, but that's another story or likely we'dhave a new conure )and she was so excited to see 2 sun conures so we are very hopeful she will befriend another.
She's always the type to "mama " her Coconut and he was her protector, itch scratcher, playmate, helper of finding fun things, and mate they never been apart since babies.
***Questions on how to proceed with introductions ... I've read allot but want any advice!! Heard about letting them hear each other kerp separate etc... how when would we know its ok for them to play if it is?
Mango flies freely but how our home is she stays in certain areas...plus our training.
We are having a hard time even finding possibilities too. Here in South West Florida found 2 baby babies... just wasn't quite right.. plus not sure if she needs a slight older youth?
She came from a bad breeder as well we weren't aware at the time about socialization and proper nutrition from the beginning...both were lacking
***Anyone also know of a good place near ft. Myers Florida to find another ? Seems most are in Miami and we'd rather not leave her home alone over 4 hours. I'm home 24/7 except doctors n a few short outings.
We want it tame and pellet fed. Ours were not and was loads of extra work...with our dear Coconut never fully taking to it...
Several with high ratings have none..looking online often breaks my heart when I see poor conditions.

ANY ideas, feedback suggestions anything to help is greatly appreciated and welcomed.
We are enjoying her and giving her extra but she's grown up with another always by her side and we know even if our new bird wasn't a best friend that she'd appreciated some bird company. .. someone who can at least chatter with our little love.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue, I´m very sorry for your loss.

I wonder if maybe there are any Suns in rescues (or listed to be rehomed online) that are a little more her age?

Conurelvr

Moving in
Real Name
J
Welcome to the Avenue, I´m very sorry for your loss.

I wonder if maybe there are any Suns in rescues (or listed to be rehomed online) that are a little more her age?
Hi I am so new been reading allot but I never posted anything ...wish I had long ago.)
thank you...
we have looked n looked...
Was curious if she'd prefer a male or female as well?? Thoughts anyone??
So far most are only selling babies.
.some seem "iffy" in the care department too.

We have contacted a rescue group and am on list of possible new homes.
Just saw a girl and boy closer in age online at another city... one parent has to relocate...which I couldn't imagine doing without my baby... another said doesn't have time anymore which could happen but is that a sign they were not loved enough?
I couldn't imagine anything making me give up mine.
Thanks for reaching out to me and the condolences as well. I do wish everyone here could have met them when I had both...

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sorry for your loss. I hope you find another bird soon. :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry for your loss. Hope you are able to find another sun but do realize that Mango and the new bird may or may not get along. Hopefully they will like each other. Make sure that when you get the new bird you quarantine him/her from Mango for at least 30-45 days and take him/her to the vet for a check up.

Conurelvr

Moving in
Real Name
J
So sorry for your loss. Hope you are able to find another sun but do realize that Mango and the new bird may or may not get along. Hopefully they will like each other. Make sure that when you get the new bird you quarantine him/her from Mango for at least 30-45 days and take him/her to the vet for a check up.
Thank you for the quarantine and vet advice!!! I had forgotten

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

tattoosiva

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry for your loss, I would just continue to give Mango the extra time until you find the bird that's right for your situation. Wait for the time (I know it sounds silly) a bird chooses you when you look for a new companion.

Best of luck!