• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My bird only wants to eat pellets

ghostsnbirds

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Mattis
I feed my conure the RoudyBush California Blend bird food as that what he was already eating when I got him and his previous owners said to keep him on it. However, for the past couple weeks, I've noticed him picking out the pellets and not eating the fruits and vegetables that come in it.

When I give him treats that have some pellets in them he bites off the seeds and fruit parts, throws them away, and then eats only the pellets. I know he likes fruit as I usually share with him some of my apple, grapes, etc when I eat them. So I'm not sure why he doesn't want those bits in his own food.

I'm worried about him not getting all the nutrition he needs.

Zygodactylous

Meeting neighbors
The pellets themselves are complete, just processed. It's ideal for them to have fresh foods like fresh vegetables, cooked and/or sprouted whole grains, and some fruit in addition to a base of pellets. If you do a search here, there are tons of tips on introducing reluctant birds to new foods.

My understanding is the Roudybush pellets in their California Blend are 100% complete--your bird won't necessarily become deficient in any nutrients if he doesn't eat all the other items. The other items are mostly just there for enrichment and variety.