• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My bird is agressive.

anabiaiste

Moving in
Real Name
anabia
She was in a small cage, and that was bad; so we got a new bigger cage and put her in. She is not scared of the cage, but she is suddenly agressive she bites my finger all the time. and even when i am feeding her treats, once she is done eating the treat from my hand she suddenly bites my finger. Same with water too. I can't even make her step up, or even if I am beeing helpful to her she is agressive to me. When i put her in her bird bath ( which she enjoys ) she started biting my finger off, and this only started when she got in her new cage so i think it is because of that but it could be anything. Here is a picture of her:
new cage her biting my finger

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
How does she act if you try and interact with her outside of the cage?

LexBirds

Walking the driveway
Real Name
-Lex-
When she bites you, is it a really strong bite, is it just a nip?

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
birds can develop sudden fear of hands or cage aggression.

For suffer fear, going back to basics and re build trust can help. Lots of treat.

For cage aggression, I consider it instincts. And work around by having them come out of cage first. Putting a perch just outside door. Before cleaning and food and such.

Maybe others have had succes training it away?

anabiaiste

Moving in
Real Name
anabia
birds can develop sudden fear of hands or cage aggression.

For suffer fear, going back to basics and re build trust can help. Lots of treat.

For cage aggression, I consider it instincts. And work around by having them come out of cage first. Putting a perch just outside door. Before cleaning and food and such.

Maybe others have had succes training it away?
okay

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Is your bird only biting when you have your hand inside the cage? Or, is your bird biting when it comes out of the cage too?

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
When you got the new cage did you give her time to explore and get used to it or did you just put her in straight away?

sootling

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
I see her cage is covered partially... is she getting enough light? If she isn't, it may make her hormonal and too bitey. Another thing is that you seem to be expecting her to be grateful for getting food, a bath, etc. Birds don't regularly show "gratefulness", and in fact, I am hesitant to say that birds even have those feelings. They don't know that their "stuff" costs money... they don't know what money is.

Another issue is probably that she doesn't seem to have enough toys in her cage, or enough of a selection of perches. If birds get too bored from not having enrichment, or if their feet get sore from standing on the same perch all day, it may make them more likely to be moody and irritable.

Other than that, the other members seem to be giving great adivce. Just make sure not to grab her with your hands or force her to step up, and make sure she has enough enrichment and sunlight.

anabiaiste

Moving in
Real Name
anabia
I see her cage is covered partially... is she getting enough light? If she isn't, it may make her hormonal and too bitey. Another thing is that you seem to be expecting her to be grateful for getting food, a bath, etc. Birds don't regularly show "gratefulness", and in fact, I am hesitant to say that birds even have those feelings. They don't know that their "stuff" costs money... they don't know what money is.

Another issue is probably that she doesn't seem to have enough toys in her cage, or enough of a selection of perches. If birds get too bored from not having enrichment, or if their feet get sore from standing on the same perch all day, it may make them more likely to be moody and irritable.

Other than that, the other members seem to be giving great adivce. Just make sure not to grab her with your hands or force her to step up, and make sure she has enough enrichment and sunlight.
its just cause we cover her cage when its time for bed ( and i know its probably annoying to her while its time for her bewd but yknw) we just got the cage so we dont have much in it yet were still looking for good toys