• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Molting Worries

Szandor

Moving in
Real Name
Alex
Hello again!

My Tiel, Sam, is six and a half months old now! He's started to lose a lot of feathers, so I'm assuming his first molt is coming around; which I've found out should happen at around this time. What I'm worried about though is his right wing; I've noticed today that there's a tiny amount of dried blood there.

Is this normal for a molt? I didn't notice any fresh blood when I checked it a second time, and he doesn't seem to be in any sort of pain - though he understandably hated when I checked his wing. I've made him scrambled eggs to assist in his molt, but is there anything else I can do?

Thank you for answers!

pawfectly

Walking the driveway
Can you attach a photo so that we can understand it better?

Visit to the vet might be a good idea.

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Maybe he lost a blood feather, check the bottom of the cage for a feather with the base with blood on it. Check the dried blood area for broken feathers. A broken blood feather is a danger because blood flows through it , and if it gets moved the wrong way after bleeding has stopped, it could continue to bleed. If there is blood on the skin of the bird, it may have hurt itself (bruised or fractured) so a vet trip should be arranged as he or she may be in pain or may need bandaging. Good luck, hopefully it was a blood feather he pulled out completely( sometimes they pull out their own broken blood feathers which is great, they prevent themselves from bleeding out )

Szandor

Moving in
Real Name
Alex
Update! Sorry for not posting the photo when I said; life is crazy sometimes! Sam is great, I think his molt is calming down. Perhaps he did pull out a blood feather himself, but regardless I kept a watchful eye on him and made him scrambled eggs every now and again to help with the molt. He's still his usual, talkative self :)