• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Miracle cure for severely hormonal Lovebird!!

Csolis22

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Constanza
Hi everyone,

I have struggled for years with my lovie and her hormonal behavior. She has been a chronic regurgitate, regurgitating all day hourly.
She stopped being active and would just fluff up and regurgitate this milky fluid all day. She was losing weight. She would be going to the vet monthly for blood exams and x-rays with no findings. She would take many different antibiotics and treatments. I tried buying her a new flight cage, buying countless new toys and perches, buying a special bird light, extending playtime, more hours of sleep, nothing would stop her.

So I was recommended by a vet to try giving her 3 mg of melatonin in a cup full of water as a supplement to see if it would help, before we try out the injection treatment.
And we’ve gone an entire week without a single regurgitation!
She’s finally sleeping through the night, she’s playing and active all day, she’s gained all her weight back and she barely naps in the day.

I am sharing this in case anyone else is suffering something similar with a hormonal lovie, this has been a miracle for us because I haven’t seen her this healthy in years.
I’m so happy, I was worried I was going to lose her to this behavior that was harming her.

:heart::)

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m very glad you found something that helped your bird! :)

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I adopt at a parrot rescue in a nearby state. The vet for that rescue is one of the authors of the study of melatonin on which that treatment is based. All of my hormonal boys are on melatonin at the moment. The study used Puritan’s Pride Natural Black Cherry Flavor liquid, so that’s what I ordered.

Many of the birds did not respond to the treatment. Some did. It had the greatest effect on birds who displayed aggressive behavior while hormonal.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I should follow up by saying that I only give them the melatonin/water mix in the evenings. They get plain water the rest of the time.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
I adopt at a parrot rescue in a nearby state. The vet for that rescue is one of the authors of the study of melatonin on which that treatment is based. All of my hormonal boys are on melatonin at the moment. The study used Puritan’s Pride Natural Black Cherry Flavor liquid, so that’s what I ordered.

Many of the birds did not respond to the treatment. Some did. It had the greatest effect on birds who displayed aggressive behavior while hormonal.
Do you know the name of the study or would you mind sharing the vet author’s name. I would love to read this study.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you know the name of the study or would you mind sharing the vet author’s name. I would love to read this study.
I have a pdf copy of the paper. I’ll see if I can find it this evening.

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Hmm. I suppose inducing an earlier bedtime and longer sleep schedule must be doing it.

that’s amazing!