• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Maui sunset macaw

BSA

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brenda
Awwww what a cutie :). You're in for a long fun filled ride.

I got JaKhu (B&G Macaw) last August at age 4 months & 11 days old. She was just weaned. Talk about a super silly bird. She does the macaw figure 8 head swing, but also does these weird twisting snake type movements with her head. As soon as I saw her I sat down & laid her on her back in my lap. Since then she plays on her back in her cage, on the floor, on the play gym, etc. I wanted to teach her laying on her back was OK, so vet visits/x-rays wouldn't be too stressful. I've been teaching her tricks...roll over, wings up, etc. She's talking a lot, but many words we can't make out yet. She loves veggies. My husband didn't want to handle her, so when he gets close she moves away or leans away. She has allowed one of my step-daughters (adult) hold her a minute on her arm, but no one else yet. She's now a year & 10 days old. She's molted & baby tail is gone & grown in beautiful & long. Her beak is getting bigger. She growls in her sleep, no kidding. She found her scream voice, but doesn't scream a lot. She's mostly quiet all day long & jabbers a lot late day & in the evening hours. She was heavily clipped when I got her, but she's now fully flighted, so I need to teach her how to fly & land.

So far she's only had one encounter with my U2 Jasmine. Jasmine climbed onto the parrot tower when JaKhu was on it. Jasmine was above her & kept trying to intimidate JaKhu. They ended up beak to beak, but before anything happened I seperated them & put Jasmine back in her cage. We have an aviary, so I hope Jasmine can get along with her like she did with JaJaBinks, my last B&G Macaw.
I just got Jewels on Tuesday and they heavy clipped her wings...was so angry, her yellow wings are not visible at all!!

BSA

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brenda
Did they allow her to fledge?
They said yes, she flapps what wings she does have still offset with her wings.. I didn't want them cut at all because she will be harness trained. I could have clipped just a little if needed. She eats on her own but still wants to be hand fed too. So I have been hand feeding her in the afternoon just so I know she is getting what she needs. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They said yes, she flapps what wings she does have still offset with her wings.. I didn't want them cut at all because she will be harness trained. I could have clipped just a little if needed. She eats on her own but still wants to be hand fed too. So I have been hand feeding her in the afternoon just so I know she is getting what she needs. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I hate the way they clip too. Cut off feathers with scissors & let them long enough to poke them in the side. When I do I clip, I take 4 flights all the way back behind the secondary feathers, so they don't poke. Helps to prevent chewing. I use "Millers Forge" dog nail clippers for large dogs. They cut thru those thick shafts like butter, with no twisting. JaKhu had terrible balance until she molted those clipped flights & got new ones. I kept most toys low, attached to the sides of her cage, lots of foot toys & no swing until her flights came in, to prevent as many falls as possible. Her main perch is halfway up the cage, so she slept on it. Now she sleeps on her swing.

I gave JaKhu soft foods like cooked veggies, oatmeal, scrambled eggs, etc., for breakfast. She got dry foods (a little seed mix, pellets, nuts) at night. She was just starting to crack almonds open when I got her, but it took her a few more months to get walnuts, filberts & pecans open. I feed all wet foods to my birds in the morning & dry foods at night.

You can start the harness training now anyway. Get her used to wearing it.

Roll her on her back & get her used to doing it. It will help with vet checks & if/when they ever need to do x-rays. JaKhu plays on her back, lays on her back in my lap, etc. She's very calm about me rolling her over.

BSA

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brenda
I hate the way they clip too. Cut off feathers with scissors & let them long enough to poke them in the side. When I do I clip, I take 4 flights all the way back behind the secondary feathers, so they don't poke. Helps to prevent chewing. I use "Millers Forge" dog nail clippers for large dogs. They cut thru those thick shafts like butter, with no twisting. JaKhu had terrible balance until she molted those clipped flights & got new ones. I kept most toys low, attached to the sides of her cage, lots of foot toys & no swing until her flights came in, to prevent as many falls as possible. Her main perch is halfway up the cage, so she slept on it. Now she sleeps on her swing.

I gave JaKhu soft foods like cooked veggies, oatmeal, scrambled eggs, etc., for breakfast. She got dry foods (a little seed mix, pellets, nuts) at night. She was just starting to crack almonds open when I got her, but it took her a few more months to get walnuts, filberts & pecans open. I feed all wet foods to my birds in the morning & dry foods at night.

You can start the harness training now anyway. Get her used to wearing it.

Roll her on her back & get her used to doing it. It will help with vet checks & if/when they ever need to do x-rays. JaKhu plays on her back, lays on her back in my lap, etc. She's very calm about me rolling her over.
Good ideas, I do give my other birds oatmeal and veggies a little fruit and nuts no seeds though. Im gonna try oatmeal with her. She can't even hold a darn pellet, I place one at a time in her beak. She has no clue what to do with nuts but we'll get there.

LeoNYC

Moving in
Real Name
Leo
Ive actually been looking to add a Maui sunset to my family but I cannot seem to find any in my area. I’m not sure if your lady has any available or can anyone please point me in the right direction. Ive already been scammed. I would only purchase in person

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Ive actually been looking to add a Maui sunset to my family but I cannot seem to find any in my area. I’m not sure if your lady has any available or can anyone please point me in the right direction. Ive already been scammed. I would only purchase in person
The member who started this thread has not logged into the forum in almost two years, so there is almost no chance of that member seeing your post. Beyond that, maui sunsets are very difficult to come by as the red-fronted macaws are not exactly easy to find in and of themselves, and most breeders with them are choosing to keep their bloodlines "pure" and not hybridizing them so that such an amazing species will not be lost from aviculture.

LeoNYC

Moving in
Real Name
Leo
thanks for the reply. I actually found one for 4500. Not too sure if that is a good price or not. Also how can I be sure it’s a Maui sunset. My last baby was given to me. This is my first time purchasing a bird. Do they come with papers? Are there certain things I should be looking for when purchasing? Maybe a guarantee? How would I identify the Maui sunset?

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
thanks for the reply. I actually found one for 4500. Not too sure if that is a good price or not. Also how can I be sure it’s a Maui sunset. My last baby was given to me. This is my first time purchasing a bird. Do they come with papers? Are there certain things I should be looking for when purchasing? Maybe a guarantee? How would I identify the Maui sunset?
More people will be able to see your questions if you create your own thread :)
1. Reputable breeders usually do give papers.
2. 4500 sounds a bit low but I don't know where you are or the situation.
3. Here's a thread on questions for the breeder. Thread

Have you considered adopting There are plenty of macaws in shelters needing a home :)

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
Hey I know this bird store!! Great people there. Your baby looks adorable!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
There are quite a few questions here, so I will try to take them one by one. First, price is in the eye of the beholder. Very few people will breed this specific hybrid, so whether or not it is a "good price" depends on what you can afford as well as how badly you want these exact hybrid. As for determining the exact hybrid's parents, it can be very difficult. The offspring will not get its adult plumage until it is more than a year old (older depending on the specific hybrid), so with a baby, you have to trust the breeder or whom ever who are buying the bird from. Next, I am unsure of what you mean by "papers"? If you mean a receipt of some sort, then yes. I was adamant about finding a breeder who had their birds checked by an avian veterinarian before I purchased the bird (I did pay for the checkup and bloodwork regardless of if I purchased the bird, but it was well worth it). Also, not that I did not trust the breeder, if I had strong doubts I would have looked elsewhere, but I had the veterinarian send me a copy of the visit notes and bloodwork directly. Guarantees are difficult to come by. You may find a health guarantee in which you have so many days in which to have a licensed avian veterinarian check the bird, run tests and submit the findings to the breeder, and depending on the results something may be done, but I am honestly not sure how many breeders even do that anymore.

LeoNYC

Moving in
Real Name
Leo
There are quite a few questions here, so I will try to take them one by one. First, price is in the eye of the beholder. Very few people will breed this specific hybrid, so whether or not it is a "good price" depends on what you can afford as well as how badly you want these exact hybrid. As for determining the exact hybrid's parents, it can be very difficult. The offspring will not get its adult plumage until it is more than a year old (older depending on the specific hybrid), so with a baby, you have to trust the breeder or whom ever who are buying the bird from. Next, I am unsure of what you mean by "papers"? If you mean a receipt of some sort, then yes. I was adamant about finding a breeder who had their birds checked by an avian veterinarian before I purchased the bird (I did pay for the checkup and bloodwork regardless of if I purchased the bird, but it was well worth it). Also, not that I did not trust the breeder, if I had strong doubts I would have looked elsewhere, but I had the veterinarian send me a copy of the visit notes and bloodwork directly. Guarantees are difficult to come by. You may find a health guarantee in which you have so many days in which to have a licensed avian veterinarian check the bird, run tests and submit the findings to the breeder, and depending on the results something may be done, but I am honestly not sure how many breeders even do that anymore.
The bird is from a pet store. It’s already about 1 1/2 years old. I’m not sure how it affects price. I’m also not sure if it’s better to buy a bird around this age. I guess it’s past the weening stage which can be tedious. I’m not too sure how to send pictures. If you can send me an email I can email them. I’d appreciate the help. I’m also not sure how to bring it back. I have to take a flight to another state. I would prefer to fly back but if I have to I can drive cross the country.

LeoNYC

Moving in
Real Name
Leo
More people will be able to see your questions if you create your own thread :)
1. Reputable breeders usually do give papers.
2. 4500 sounds a bit low but I don't know where you are or the situation.
3. Here's a thread on questions for the breeder. Thread

Have you considered adopting There are plenty of macaws in shelters needing a home :)
I actually would like to adopt. It’s just a longer process and some birds become attached to their current care taker and act out. They also have certain habits that you have to work to break.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
The bird is from a pet store. It’s already about 1 1/2 years old. I’m not sure how it affects price. I’m also not sure if it’s better to buy a bird around this age. I guess it’s past the weening stage which can be tedious. I’m not too sure how to send pictures. If you can send me an email I can email them. I’d appreciate the help. I’m also not sure how to bring it back. I have to take a flight to another state. I would prefer to fly back but if I have to I can drive cross the country.
In my opinion, that is a great age as you can see some of its personality that has already developed to get a better sense of what is ahead, although nothing other than experience can prepare you for the hormonal changes of a macaw, cockatoo or amazon. As for identifying the hybrid, I have no first hand experience with it. Only what I have seen in pictures placed on the internet by others. As this is a hybrid that you so badly want, I am assuming that you have seen more of them than I have. Brining the bird back can be difficult. If you fly, you will first need a health certificate from a licensed veterinarian and, in some states, a permit from the state as well.

Can you pm me. I’m not too sure how to
You can only use the forum's PM feature once you have made at least 25 posts.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I actually would like to adopt. It’s just a longer process and some birds become attached to their current care taker and act out. They also have certain habits that you have to work to break.
Lol believe it or not you many times also get them unwanted habits and behaviours to work through when you get a baby- babies grow up and can change... I know, it is happening in my home pretty horribly right now- I went from having loving well mannered very compliant young bird to having a total horror movie star which has turned my whole world upside down and inside out more so than the tiny behaviour changes I saw in my adopted mature cocky once he settled in here and we were over the honeymoon phase. Baby bird does not equal or guarantee perfect smooth relationship between you.

LeoNYC

Moving in
Real Name
Leo
Lol believe it or not you many times also get them unwanted habits and behaviours to work through when you get a baby- babies grow up and can change... I know, it is happening in my home pretty horribly right now- I went from having loving well mannered very compliant young bird to having a total horror movie star which has turned my whole world upside down and inside out more so than the tiny behaviour changes I saw in my adopted mature cocky once he settled in here and we were over the honeymoon phase. Baby bird does not equal or guarantee perfect smooth relationship between you.
Yea that can be true. It can be a hit or miss I guess. I’be always been worried to get an aggressive bird or a screamer. But I guess it’s something you deal with one day