• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Questions to ask a breeder BEFORE buying a bird.

Big.Green.Chicken

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
What questions should you ask a breeder before you purchase a bird?

I couldn't find a list of these questions in a sticky anywhere. I think it would help people surfing this website to have this information.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Are they a truly closed aviary...no birds in, no birds out.
Do they polyoma vaccinate.
Do they vet check their birds.
How are the babies reared...parent raised at all, incubator hatched, etc
What foods are fed.
Are the babies fledged, can I get the baby unclipped.
Are the birds reared with other species other than themselves.
Are the birds abundance weaned.

True Love Aviary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Rodney Money
Are they a truly closed aviary...no birds in, no birds out.
Do they polyoma vaccinate.
Do they vet check their birds.
How are the babies reared...parent raised at all, incubator hatched, etc
What foods are fed.
Are the babies fledged, can I get the baby unclipped.
Are the birds reared with other species other than themselves.
Are the birds abundance weaned.
Great questions, but I always like to add, "A great breeder who cares ask YOU the questions."
~Rodney

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Can you DNA please. I know many folks don't think it's important and some go off the deep end because they think you want to know because your going to breed. But I feel it's essential to raising, understanding and promoting good health to know if you little one is a girl or a boy. (If you think you have a boy and you have a girl and she get's egg bound, you won't even consider that option until it may be too late.)
Ginger

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
What foods do you wean the babies onto? Are the birds introduced to veggies/fruits?
What's the weaning process?
How do you enrich/entertain the babies?
How are the babies socialized?

Big.Green.Chicken

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
Do you mind if I move and sticky this thread in the Nursery?

Not at all. I want it to be easily found by those who need it.

I have heard there is a big debate over the vacines, a lot of breeders no longer use them.

How much time to you spend with each baby per day?
Are the babies around men and women both?
What kinds of toys do you give your babies?
Do you allow them to fly before clipping their wings?

Shockie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Heather
Ok, so here's my question to all these questions... what answers are we looking for?

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen

Not at all. I want it to be easily found by those who need it.

I have heard there is a big debate over the vacines, a lot of breeders no longer use them.

How much time to you spend with each baby per day?
Are the babies around men and women both?
What kinds of toys do you give your babies?
Do you allow them to fly before clipping their wings?
Vaccines are controversial but I still wouldn't buy a baby that wasn't Polyoma vaccinated, especially if I had older birds at home that weren't vaccinated. Polyoma kills in baby birds but can live in healthy adults without showing a single sign of illness. I would hate to get a baby, bring it home and have it die of Polyoma because I didn't bother with the vaccination. If you know for a fact that your adult birds do not have Polyoma and the bird is past a certain age, then Polyoma isn't so worrisome.

Having said that, every bird I have has been Polyoma vaccinated with absolutely no issues at all.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ok, so here's my question to all these questions... what answers are we looking for?
The answers might be somewhat different for different people, but generally speaking I think it is the accepted belief that you want an abundance weaned, socialized baby that has been allowed to fledge (which personally I believe a bird takes much longer to master flight than just a few flights and takes longer than the weaning process).

For me when I was looking for a hawkhead breeder my biggest concern was that my baby would never have his wings clipped. I believe they should know and be allowed to fly so that was a big deal for me personally :) Of course the weaning process was important to me also but most of this information was readily available on the breeder's site.

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
Great questions, but I always like to add, "A great breeder who cares ask YOU the questions."
~Rodney
I too agree with Rodney. I will also add some more areas I would advise looking into before buying.

Kerbear,

I know you specifically asked for questions to ask a breeder before buying but instead I am offering some comments from which you or whomever can form your own questions, if you agree (hope they will help in some way):

I feel that we should not buy from breeders or hobbyists who care more about the dollar bill than they do about what is best for their birds. I personally would not buy from or support or refer a person to a breeder who clips or promotes clipping or advises the buyer to clip the bird themselves - period. I feel a great breeder should instead be trying to get the buyer to fully understand all the benefits of full flight and insist that the buyer first be able to prove to the seller that he/she has already built or purchased a full flight aviary or has prepared a room or section of their home for safe full flight.

I would not buy from a breeder/hobbyist who is in a rush to sell their birds but instead I would want to make sure the birds are fully weaned and have mastered flight, meaning they can bank, fly up, down, hover, fly up off the floor and not into things etc. … Sure there will be some additional learning of the new floor plan in their new home but with the skills mentioned already learned, that should go quickly & safely.

I would want my birds to be eating fresh veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds, other healthy & natural foods, (etc.) and maybe some good quality pellets before I took possession of them.

I would want my baby/bird to be unafraid of every little thing placed inside his/her cage, therefore I would want them introduced to various kinds of toys and natural foraging items while they are being weaned.

I would prefer they be socialized around other birds, either of their own species, other species or both.

I would not want a bird from a breeder who smoked or allowed smoking in their home - anywhere.

I would not want a bird from a breeder who thought it was fine to let birds play or come in contact with the breeder's or new owner's dogs or cats or reptiles, etc.

I would want my baby to come from healthy parents, both mentally & physically. I would want to know that the breeder/hobbyist allows all his/her birds (breeders and other birds) direct natural sunshine (not thru window glass). If this cannot be done yr. round then I would want the breeder to show me their F.S. Lighting system and give me the specs of the tubes they are using etc. … Proper lighting (indoor & outdoor) for the parents (& the baby) is essential IMO & IME in getting a healthy and good quality youngster.

I would also talk to the breeder/hobbyist as much as they will allow (in writing or phone calls or both) on bird related topics especially, in order to try and feel out their knowledge, character & personality as much as possible. I think this helps in getting a good feeling for whether or not the breeder/hobbyist really takes care of their birds & whether or not their birds are probably of good quality or not.

I would also want to see the breeder/hobbyist ask the potential new keeper tons of questions to determine whether or not his/her babies are going to a great home, where they will be all they were meant to be and enjoy all they were meant to have - best possible in captivity anyway.

I would ask the breeder/hobbyist if they are willing to take back the baby should the new keeper not be able to continue giving the bird a wonderful home (providing of course that the baby was kept properly and healthy at the buyer's home). Of course the buyer should not expect a full refund if the seller agrees to this. If not willing to take back, then would the seller/breeder/hobbyist be willing to help the buyer (with all his/her contacts) place the bird in a good home.

Is the breeder/hobbyist willing to respond to general or emergency questions when & if needed, even if that meant waking the breeder/hobbyist up in the middle of the night? IMO, a yes answer to this question will in itself somewhat prove whether a breeder/hobbyist really cares about his/her babies, even after they leave their place of birth.

All the other respondents in this thread came up with good questions also and good advice. However, I personally don't think every single question mentioned in this thread needs to be asked nor do I think all birds need to be vaccinated against whatever nor even vet checked before a sale, in order for a buyer to feel that he/she is getting a healthy bird free from disease. No reputable breeder who loves their birds and all birds in general would ever sell a bird to someone if it had any chance of being sick. Good breeders and hobbyists know their birds and have a reputation to uphold. If they had to vet check every bird for whatever and do all the vaccines that anyone may want, their sale prices would have to be very high and they could not then afford to stay in the hobby/field. However, if a customer is willing to pay additionally for a vet check for whatever and any desired vaccines (etc.), then of course the seller/breeder/hobbyist should comply.

IMO, one of our jobs or responsibilities as potential customers & bird lovers is to search out and find the good breeders and pass the word along, either openly or privately. Also our duty should be to shun the bad breeders and pass that info. along too (why they are not good) - openly, if allowed or privately.

All the above is JMO.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I would ask the breeder/hobbyist if they are willing to take back the baby should the new keeper not be able to continue giving the bird a wonderful home (providing of course that the baby was kept properly and healthy at the buyer's home). Of course the buyer should not expect a full refund if the seller agrees to this. If not willing to take back, then would the seller/breeder/hobbyist be willing to help the buyer (with all his/her contacts) place the bird in a good home.
Breeders who do this generally do not tend to have a closed aviary and it would worry me greatly if the breeder was willing to do this, but that's just my opinion on it. I'm a little fanatical about closed aviaries but just because disease can be so devastating.

All the other respondents in this thread came up with good questions also and good advice. However, I personally don't think every single question mentioned in this thread needs to be asked nor do I think all birds need to be vaccinated against whatever nor even vet checked before a sale, in order for a buyer to feel that he/she is getting a healthy bird free from disease. No reputable breeder who loves their birds and all birds in general would ever sell a bird to someone if it had any chance of being sick. Good breeders and hobbyists know their birds and have a reputation to uphold. If they had to vet check every bird for whatever and do all the vaccines that anyone may want, their sale prices would have to be very high and they could not then afford to stay in the hobby/field. However, if a customer is willing to pay additionally for a vet check for whatever and any desired vaccines (etc.), then of course the seller/breeder/hobbyist should comply.
I think too often we don't care enough about vet checks and I think its absolutely essential for a baby bird to be vet checked. Too often, there can be any number of things that could be wrong and when you are paying a lot of money for a bird, you don't want to have to be responsible for anything that might not have been caught because the breeder didn't want to waste money on vet checks. I also think that even though the breeder does a vet check, the very first thing you should do with your new bird is get it vet checked as well. Not only to make sure that you have a healthy bird but to get the bird established with your vet.

Part of owning these birds that is horribly important is vetting and if you can't afford to do this, then it's my opinion that you shouldn't own one.

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
Yes, in general I agree with you but not always. Maybe you missed where I said "if the baby was kept properly and healthy at the buyer's home". If that can't be proven satisfactorily to the seller or if the seller feels he/she cannot just take the buyers word about how the bird was kept (etc.) and about what it may have been exposed to, then of course it would be best for the seller not to take the bird back due to the risks to his/her own flock.

Again (IMO & IME anyway) it depends on who the breeder/seller is that we are talking about. One who has a very good reputation & takes care of his/her birds properly and one who practices prevention in all the usual ways (to include PROPER quarantine procedures when necessary), does not need to be running to vets periodically, simply for check-ups. The very act of going into a vet's practice/office can be the cause of a bird contracting a deadly disease (etc.), regardless of what many bird keepers want to believe about that. I personally don't want to risk that with any of my birds, unless absolutely necessary.

I disagree that it is always necessary or best for every bird, that the new keeper take it in to a vet as soon as he/she gets it to make sure it is healthy and to get it "established" with one's vet. It may give the new owner peace of mind and satisfy the guarantee provisions of the breeder/seller but if the bird is healthy & well in the first place, what else is really gained by the effort. Vets are not infallible anyway, they don't always catch everything, etc.

I guess it all boils down (IMO anyway) to what each of us believes. For example, I personally feel that the human body and it's immune system (run by a healthy and properly working brain) is capable of taking care of itself & even healing itself (in most cases), providing it is exercised properly and treated properly which includes proper rest, a good healthy diet and the elimination of stress (as much as possible) & doing one's best to keep away from exposure to life threatening diseases & conditions, (etc.) ... I feel that also applies to our bird's immune systems and most all other creatures on the planet.

Specialized vetting is probably the best or safest way to go for most bird keepers and their birds, despite the risks and considering the alternatives but vetting is not necessary all the time for every bird keeper, especially those who are well experienced in keeping birds healthy and in medicating them when & if necessary.

I agree with you that when a bird does need vetting and it's owner cannot afford to pay those expenses (sometimes very high dollar amts.), then he/she should not own one.

Breeders who do this generally do not tend to have a closed aviary and it would worry me greatly if the breeder was willing to do this, but that's just my opinion on it. I'm a little fanatical about closed aviaries but just because disease can be so devastating.

I think too often we don't care enough about vet checks and I think its absolutely essential for a baby bird to be vet checked. Too often, there can be any number of things that could be wrong and when you are paying a lot of money for a bird, you don't want to have to be responsible for anything that might not have been caught because the breeder didn't want to waste money on vet checks. I also think that even though the breeder does a vet check, the very first thing you should do with your new bird is get it vet checked as well. Not only to make sure that you have a healthy bird but to get the bird established with your vet.

Part of owning these birds that is horribly important is vetting and if you can't afford to do this, then it's my opinion that you shouldn't own one.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I totally agree with you "Toasty" about the mind playing a major role in all animals health, including ours.

Everyones heard "Stress kills" because it does. A mind that is "happy/content" and no stress will be a major factor in living a long and healthy life.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Questions to ask a breeder:

How do they keep the PARENT BIRDS (their money makers)? In a cage? Aviary? Indoors or outdoors? IMO for larger parrots like macaws, cockatoos, zons and greys, etc, they need to be kept in an aviary where they can FLYYYYYYY. No no measly little cage.... And outside or inside? Well thats depends on how they would be kept in either.

What kind of foods and enrichment (toys) do they provide their money makers? I hope its a well balanced diet and toys and wood things are provided! I HATE seeing a pair of macaws or cockatoos in an aviary with 1-2 perches and just the nest box. HOW BORING. We bird owners preach how smart birds are and yet breeders keep them like as though they are stupid animals who dont need to think of anything but breeding! I never buy from a breeder if they kept their breeders in a boring cage or a boring nothing to do aviary. How hard is it to really string up some wood and toys, or provide a TON of soft branches to snap, etc?

How old are their money makers and how long have they been breeding these birds? How many clutches do they get OR allow per year? Do they ever have a rest season?

Are the parent birds ever vet checked?

When do they pull the baby birds from the parents or do they pull eggs? Or do they co-raise the birds? I believe species like cockatoos and macaw benefit from staying with their parents longer than other parrots. Especially cockatoos. It helps the 'toos to understand they are a bird and creates a more outgoing easier balanced cockatoo. And its EXTREMELY beneficial to co-parent cockatoos as this will 100% make sure that the baby has best of both worlds.

Are the baby birds allowed to fledge? Some people think fledge means flying the first time, or flying for 1-2 weeks. Some people believe (and this is the real meaning) that fledging is a process that can take a month to Months (like in larger birds).

What do they feed the babies? Do they wean them, or allow the babies to choose to wean on their own? If the baby decided it wasnt ready to go onto solid foods, would they increase the comfort feedings?

Is the baby weaned and how long has it been weaned? Has it shown ANY signs at all that it wants comfort feedings?

Are the babies raised around other birds? How are they socialized?

Are the babies vet checked?

Would you be able to send with the baby what they are eating and some formula you use?

Is the breeder willing to feed the baby the diet you would be feeding it?

Will the breeder always be there for you when you need him(questions, emergencies, etc)?

How does the breeder determine someone is a great fit for their baby bird? Is the breeder asking any questions?

Some personal questions I like to ask:

How long have you been breeding? What got you into birds? What was your first bird? How many companion birds do they have? How many breeders? How many babies do they raise at a time(food for thought(honestly, some breeders raise 100 babies at a time, how can you possibly think YOUR baby will be a well raised, socialize, well fed, well fledged, happy content baby bird when its competing for 99 other baby birds))? And ask questions on their pet birds. Just getting to know them.

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
However, I personally don't think every single question mentioned in this thread needs to be asked nor do I think all birds need to be vaccinated against whatever nor even vet checked before a sale, in order for a buyer to feel that he/she is getting a healthy bird free from disease.
I just wanted to say you made an excellent post!:cool1::highfive:

And I agree, not every question needs to be asked. Sometimes one will do and the breeder will open up and spill it all out. "Can you tell me about yourself and your breeding and raising pracitices?". Thats what I did with Mera, and I got a HUGE EMAIL in reply. And anything I felt that my breeder left out, I just emailed her back and asked a couple more questions.:cool1:

Again (IMO & IME anyway) it depends on who the breeder/seller is that we are talking about. One who has a very good reputation & takes care of his/her birds properly and one who practices prevention in all the usual ways (to include PROPER quarantine procedures when necessary), does not need to be running to vets periodically, simply for check-ups. The very act of going into a vet's practice/office can be the cause of a bird contracting a deadly disease (etc.), regardless of what many bird keepers want to believe about that. I personally don't want to risk that with any of my birds, unless absolutely necessary.
I understand where you coming from. But I have to agree with Jen about vet checks.

You could be buying from an EXCELLENT breeder, but congenital birth defects do happen, and you wont know until the baby has gone to the vet, to know what its organs look like. I think an xray is very much needed on every (baby) bird.

Opa has a split proventriculis, and I never knew that until we did Xrays on him back in August. I never thought to have an xray done with every annual vet exam....

Last edited:

Big.Green.Chicken

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
I noticed a trend lately.

Perhaps it is the holidays and people are thinking about gifts, perhaps they are going to get their tax returns.

There are a lot of people coming in here saying they are interested in getting this kind or that kind of bird.

Seeing the trouble my cousin has recently gotten himself into with not knowing the questions to ask a breeder and the answers he should have gotten, I wanted to compose a simple list of questions and answers for people.

Can we all work together to compose one, and then post it in a special thread for people coming to this site for information? Not everyone asks questions. Like my cousin they come as a guest, look around, read this and that, and leave.

I am not getting another bird myself.

So, what questions, with simple for a newbie to understand answers, should new bird owners ask a breeder?

Thank you for your help everyone.:)

Shockie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Heather
Yes, please. Newbie future parrot owner here, and I want to know. :)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
There isn't a right or wrong answer to this question and each person is going to answer it differently. I think there were a number of great questions to ask and you'll have to sort out which ones you think are most important to you.