• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Maui sunset macaw

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
Oh for the love of baby macaws! I’m in love with her!!

Congrats on your baby! May you have many many wonderful experiences with her!

:heart2: :cantwait: :congratualtions: :loveshower:

BSA

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brenda
Oh for the love of baby macaws! I’m in love with her!!

Congrats on your baby! May you have many many wonderful experiences with her!

:heart2: :cantwait: :congratualtions: :loveshower:
Thank you:heart: I'll see her again this weekend too. My granddaughter has a gymnastics competition on Saturday.

Gigibirds

Oh congratulations!!! She is so beautiful!!!! I absolutely love the pics, and it's so cute that she is already snuggling you!!!:loveshower:

BSA

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brenda
:angel5:my husband was a little upset because she only wanted me. I just pray Nola, my moluccan cockatoo likes her. Little nervous about that.

BSA

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brenda
Awesome.. Kinda looks similar to a Harlequin..
The green on her head will start to fade out to an orange and yellow or possibly teal green. Thats what I was told but I have looked at other maui sunset macaws and some have a green head. I don't care either way, she's beautiful and sweet. If I didn't know she was a mix of the b&g and red front i would have said she looks like a harlequin too.

Legend88

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dwayne
The green on her head will start to fade out to an orange and yellow or possibly teal green. Thats what I was told but I have looked at other maui sunset macaws and some have a green head. I don't care either way, she's beautiful and sweet. If I didn't know she was a mix of the b&g and red front i would have said she looks like a harlequin too.

Lol, you know what? If a name isnt already picked out for her maybe you should name her harlequin? But spell it in the traditional way of the harley quinn from the batman dc comics, since she does look like a harlequin macaw but apparently isnt..

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awwww what a cutie :). You're in for a long fun filled ride.

I got JaKhu (B&G Macaw) last August at age 4 months & 11 days old. She was just weaned. Talk about a super silly bird. She does the macaw figure 8 head swing, but also does these weird twisting snake type movements with her head. As soon as I saw her I sat down & laid her on her back in my lap. Since then she plays on her back in her cage, on the floor, on the play gym, etc. I wanted to teach her laying on her back was OK, so vet visits/x-rays wouldn't be too stressful. I've been teaching her tricks...roll over, wings up, etc. She's talking a lot, but many words we can't make out yet. She loves veggies. My husband didn't want to handle her, so when he gets close she moves away or leans away. She has allowed one of my step-daughters (adult) hold her a minute on her arm, but no one else yet. She's now a year & 10 days old. She's molted & baby tail is gone & grown in beautiful & long. Her beak is getting bigger. She growls in her sleep, no kidding. She found her scream voice, but doesn't scream a lot. She's mostly quiet all day long & jabbers a lot late day & in the evening hours. She was heavily clipped when I got her, but she's now fully flighted, so I need to teach her how to fly & land.

So far she's only had one encounter with my U2 Jasmine. Jasmine climbed onto the parrot tower when JaKhu was on it. Jasmine was above her & kept trying to intimidate JaKhu. They ended up beak to beak, but before anything happened I seperated them & put Jasmine back in her cage. We have an aviary, so I hope Jasmine can get along with her like she did with JaJaBinks, my last B&G Macaw.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Very cool, I've never seen that particular hybrid, thanks for sharing the photos!

I'm curious about her weight; is she closer to a Red-Fronted at 500g, or a Blue & Gold at 1000g?

Such a big difference between her parents.

(a list of hybrid combinations can be found here for anyone who's interested)

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I hope you are aware of the risk of Pulmonary Hypersensitivity Syndrome when macaws, in particular are exposed to powder down birds such as cockatoos, African Greys and cockatiels. The dust from those birds can, any many times does, gather in the air sacs and lungs of other birds and it will eventually kill them. There is no cure. I have a bird with Pulmonary Hypersensitivity Syndrome, so I know what I'm talking about.

RESPIRATORY DISEASE IN SOUTH AMERICAN SPECIES ESPECIALLY MACAWS AND CONURES “Pulmonary Hypersensitivity Syndrome”

Although good ventilation is necessary for any type of bird, it is especially critical for South American species. Blue and Gold macaws, as well as Sun Conures, seem especially sensitive to airborne irritants. They may develop a progressive respiratory disease known as "pulmonary hypersensitivity syndrome” if housed in a poorly ventilated room, especially if kept with “old world” species that produce a great deal of powder: Cockatoos, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, or African Grey Parrots. This powder is produced by specialized "powder down feathers" and is a white waxy substance composed of keratin. Powder down forms a water proof barrier for contour feathers. It is spread through the feathers when the bird grooms. The down is composed of very fine particulate matter which becomes airborne very easily and spreads via air currents and air ducts throughout the area. The powder down can also cause irritation to people with respiratory problems and allergies. People with allergies may be able to tolerate these birds, but they should be aware of this before acquiring one of these dusty species. In the early stages of pulmonary hypersensitivity syndrome, the bird may appear normal, but only wheeze when excited. In a later stage, dyspnea (difficulty in breathing), a cough, and a bluish tinge to the facial skin (cyanosis) can develop. Hypoxia or under oxygenation of tissues leads to an increase in the number of circulating red blood cells (RBC) termed Polycythemia as well as an increased viscosity in the blood so that it does not flow normally. Subsequent immuno-suppression may lead to Aspergillosis, a deadly respiratory fungal disease. Clinical symptoms, blood work, and high resolution digital radiographs may support the diagnosis, but a lung biopsy is necessary for confirmation. In order to prevent this, South American Species should be housed in well ventilated rooms without Cockatoos, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, or African Grey Parrots. An air cleaner with a HEPA filter is highly recommended. Unfortunately, this pulmonary disease is often advanced when owners first notice the problem and finally get diagnosed by a trained avian veterinarian familiar with this syndrome. Certain drugs may provide temporary relief. There is no cure for this syndrome, but with removal of the allergen and clean air there can be marked improvement."

BSA

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brenda
I'm also curious what your plan is with respect to keeping these two together, given the respiratory dangers of cockatoo dust to macaws.
Well, I do have a military macaw and he is fine plus their cages and toys get cleaned everyday and they get baths everyday. She is 22 and my military is 10 . If Jewels does have issues I would put her in a separate room. I also talked to my vet and he doesn't think there will be a problem.

Mitzi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle "Mitzi"
she is so pretty. keep us up to date with pictures and her personality. Thanks and congrads.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Well, I do have a military macaw and he is fine plus their cages and toys get cleaned everyday and they get baths everyday. She is 22 and my military is 10 . If Jewels does have issues I would put her in a separate room. I also talked to my vet and he doesn't think there will be a problem.
It sounds like you're aware of the risks and are actively taking steps to mitigate.
How long have your Military and Moluccan lived together?

BSA

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brenda
It sounds like you're aware of the risks and are actively taking steps to mitigate.
How long have your Military and Moluccan lived together?
10 yrs we got him as a baby

BSA

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brenda
she is so pretty. keep us up to date with pictures and her personality. Thanks and congrads.
I will, and praying the weather doesn't keep us from going to Houston but it does look like we may not get to go.:crycry:

Mitzi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle "Mitzi"
live in beaumont and no problems here so hopefully houston okay