• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mate flew away

KaiLey

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Maree
Hi all,

We are pretty novice bird owners. We had 2 older untamed budgies (male and female) until yesterday when the male flew away.

The female is more skittish than normal now (we have been working on taming them but it's been a slow process) and we are worried about her.

What's the best thing we can do to keep her happy and healthy?

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I so sorry :( My heart sinks whenever I hear about a bird escaping. It is possible get a bird back, I believe it's pretty rare but it can happen. So don't give up yet! Posted flyers, get in touch with your local spca and pet stores just in case they get a bird brought into them. Try to get the word out. Do you have a spare cage or carrier? Put that outside with food and water just in case your budgie is still in the area. If they see something familiar sometimes that helps too.

As far as what to do to help your female budgie I'm not sure. But there are people with more budgie experience than me. @Lady Jane I'm so sorry you are going through this:(

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Oh no that is very sad. If I were in your shoes and could not find the escapee I would get another male. You will have to quarantine the new one for 30 days. In the meantime give the female extra everything, food, toys and attention. If there is a warm day you could put her in a small cage and carry her outside to call for her pal. Keep the cage with you and walk around. Don't let the cage with the female out of your sight. You are her watchdog when outside.

Before you get another male please take measures to bird proof your home so there are no injuries or more escapes.

You can play budgie sounds for the female that are on you tube. It will help.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry. Have you gone out looking for him? Hope your other budgie is doing OK. Probably grieving for her mate and might take a while for her to get over that.