• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macaw throws his water everywhere when I hoover

MarkyGee

Moving in
Real Name
Mark
Hey guys I have a male Greenwing Macaw and whenever I hoover he goes straight back into his cage and throws his water all over the place. Is this a known behaviour or is this unique to my bird?

I also have a video of it but it won’t allow me to attach it like you can a picture

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Does he splash it, or throw his bowl?

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's normal. The vac sound excites them. Set him in the tub I use a handheld shower head), turn on the vac & give him a shower.

MarkyGee

Moving in
Real Name
Mark
It's normal. The vac sound excites them. Set him in the tub I use a handheld shower head), turn on the vac & give him a shower.
I'm still working on getting him away from his cage. I have him stepping up onto my arm now, however the minute I try to move away from his cage with him on my arm he jumps straight back onto his cage.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I'm still working on getting him away from his cage. I have him stepping up onto my arm now, however the minute I try to move away from his cage with him on my arm he jumps straight back onto his cage.
See if you can get him on a spare perch, and maybe offer him a very special treat while you try to move away from the cage. (I’d break the treat in to smaller bits if possible, but keep praising and rewarding him as you go)

That absolutely looks like he’s excited and ready for a good bath.

LiveLolBrd

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lana
Looks ready for a bath! BTW is that his normal cage? If so it is much too small.

MarkyGee

Moving in
Real Name
Mark
Looks ready for a bath! BTW is that his normal cage? If so it is much too small.
Yes it is unfortunately and that is the cage he came with from the previous owner. I am gonna get him a bigger cage asap but also I work from home so he is hardly ever locked away inside of it, but I agree he absolutely needs a bigger cage

LiveLolBrd

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lana
Yes it is unfortunately and that is the cage he came with from the previous owner. I am gonna get him a bigger cage asap but also I work from home so he is hardly ever locked away inside of it, but I agree he absolutely needs a bigger cage
Good, poor guy can't even stretch his wings out in the cage! I am glad you are getting a bigger cage.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Looks like he wants a shower to me lol