• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macaw Check-In

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Oh Sarah i am so sorry...D*** :mad: people who neglect these precious creatures...sp glad she got to know love before passing. :heart:

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Samuel (Sam) is my Scarlet. He comes with a little bit of a story. Some of it, I was only told so I have no idea what the truth is. He was bought from the woman that I got him from off of craigslist.
I was told that he's around fifteen years old, and given his paler eye color I'm inclined to believe her. He and my eclectus came from the same place - and he picked me, danced every time I showed up, and called after me when I left. I visited for about a year (to make sure I was committed and to prepare for everything - got used to buying food, making/buying toys etc) before they came home. They came from a friend/former rescue so she wasn't re-homing them to anyone she didn't know.

He and the woman who had him never got along (she lost her Scarlet, and her husband got her Sam to try and help her, they re-named him Archie but he doesn't respond to it like he does to Sam) but she was excited when he reacted the way he did for me. When I first met him, he lived on top of a large cage filled with cockatiels, he didn't move much - just shuffled from side to side, only climbed to the top when she tried to towel him or when a stick appeared. But, he took the fresh food I brought (she insisted that I was spoiling my two by giving them fresh food; all they really needed were seeds, most birds would starve before eating pellets etc) and was very gentle, he'd preen my hand. After reading EVERYTHING I could (I'd never thought that I'd have a macaw, or even the possibility of having one, they aren't birds for people who've never had birds before can usually handle) I decided to try. He'd never had a toy, or so she told me, so I bought him a small wooden toy. Needless to say, once he figured out, he destroyed it happily.

Right away, I bought him his own cage, perches, toys; everything and anything to make him comfortable. Sam is a special needs macaw - his left wing is broken, he can only extend it about 25% and no one really knows what happened to him to make it that way, maybe abuse, maybe an accident, who knows. He was a meek guy when I first met him - nothing like the other macaws I'd read about (and he was nothing like the female Blue and Gold that she had) but, little by little he became more confident. When he finally got on/into his own cage, he really became a macaw; started climbing, showing a little bit of that attitude, still a sweetie but he obviously felt a lot better about himself. After that, his diet didn't seem great to me, lots of sun flower seeds, so I got pellets and a pellet/nut/dried veggies and started him on that while he was there. She wasn't thrilled but I was paying for it, and he loved it.

Sam came home a little while ago, so he's finally off the seeds (he had them offered to him but other than to scoop them onto the floor, ignored them) and eating fresh food like a champ. He doesn't like to be touched (except a little on his beak and head) and I'm not sure he even knows how to step up but, I don't care. He's my boy (could be a girl - have no DNA test to verify either way, still doesn't matter) and I love him. :heart: Never thought I could handle a macaw but, he insisted that I try (having grown up with horses, the beak was less concerning than my inexperience). He doesn't speak much, he'll say "Hello" and the first time I called him Sam he replied with "I love you" and he's said "Bless you" once, mostly he makes quiet and loud macaw sounds, and he can dance with them best of 'em!

100_1729.JPG Sam at home after a bath.

Deb&Max

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Deb
tucker.jpeg Tucker came to join our family a couple of days ago after being given up by his first family. Not sure what the whole story is, and it really doesn't matter, he needed a home and we have one! He joins our eckie, cockatiel, and 2 cats. He's a bit of a rascal, and will bite everything and anything that gets close enough for him to reach. He will not leave his cage at this point, and definitely doesn't want us intruding in his space. We are hoping that with a healthy diet, and lots and lots of patience, he will learn that ours is his forever home and we are so very happy to have him. He's a cute little guy, isn't he?

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Meet my Reiko <3

Here is my big boy Reiko. He will be seven in September and I just adopted him in may. We are his third family and his last <3 his first parront passed away suddenly and he was rehomed to a member of our local bird club. His next family was unable to keep him because he was too noisy and so he ended up with us. I have always loved birds and always had a connection with them. I have always wanted a macaw and I've always said that I would get one one day but as life progressed "one day" seemed to drift further and further away from me as I got married and started building our family. This last may I decided that I was not going to let this dream slip away and I would do something about it now. I looked at breeders and had one all picked out but then I discover that there was a local bird club right in my city! I much prefer to rescue an animal when it is possible so I inquired if they had any gw macaws because this was my absolute dream bird. I was in luck! They did in fact have one looking for a home and where I live the odds of that are so slim so I seriously think it was fate :) I got in contact with the owners and went to meet our guy and it was love at first sight. I knew that I would not be walking away without him <3 I am truly surprised how quickly we bonded. He has only been with us for a little over a month now and it feels like he has always been a part of our family. How did we get through life without our Reiko? Lol. he does not like men though and will not let my husband pet him. He will take treats from him but that is all. He really does seem to be bonded to me and is a one person bird. I am a little sad at that because I wanted him to be a family pet but I feel so privelaged to be his chosen person and for him to take to me so quickly. He is a bit of a perch potato and we are working on that, in fact I just got his harness in the mail and took him out for his first walk yesterday! Once again he amazed me by letting me put the harness on right away. He is such a great guy and I amm so happy to have him in my life! Without further ado here is Reiko!

View attachment 107232 View attachment 107233 View attachment 107234 View attachment 107235 View attachment 107236 View attachment 107237 View attachment 107238 View attachment 107239 View attachment 107240 View attachment 107241
He looks very happy. Nice setup!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
View attachment 187642 Tucker came to join our family a couple of days ago after being given up by his first family. Not sure what the whole story is, and it really doesn't matter, he needed a home and we have one! He joins our eckie, cockatiel, and 2 cats. He's a bit of a rascal, and will bite everything and anything that gets close enough for him to reach. He will not leave his cage at this point, and definitely doesn't want us intruding in his space. We are hoping that with a healthy diet, and lots and lots of patience, he will learn that ours is his forever home and we are so very happy to have him. He's a cute little guy, isn't he?

Yes! :) I love Illiger's macaws. :heart:

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Darn I have new pics of Cannoli & I reading the paper together yesterday but i have forgotten how to add pics :(

kailani's mum

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
cheryl
hi KAILANI our baby 2 yrs old she is so affectionate and so quiet most people don't even know we have a macaw she never screams out but she has attention foe at least 4hrs a day.Daddy is her favourite person and she even licks tears from his eyeball she doesn't bite and is also friendly with other family members.

Attachments

Last edited:

EvaBird

Strolling the yard
What a rollercoaster...we were to adopt a Macaw but then she was placed elsewhere, then we made steps to get a baby GCC and last night we were called to take in a B&G in desperate need of rehoming. So, my hubby cancelled the conure...

We are adding ourselves to the Macaw Motorway! We pick Eva up this Saturday. She is need of a lot of patience and love so we will be posting a lot in the future!

Attachments

firdy num num

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden

noblemacaw

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Rebecca
I can't sleep because of the thunderstorm. I'm on battery power.
Mihijo the Noble macaw was my first macaw. Everybody loved Mihijo he loved people. In Oct 2012 he passed away from a heart attack. He was in love with my Ex so we both took his death pretty hard. Mihijo was almost 18 years old.

Diego was my Illiger's macaw came from Sunny San Diego California. I flew out to California to get him and took him away from his flock. It took him three weeks to forgive me but when he cuddle wrestled I knew then he had my heart. Diego was bonded to me and tolerated everyone else. I took great pains to socialize him and I believe if I didn't do that he would not of been nice to other people. June 2011 my world crashed when Diego had a stroke and passed. While rushing to the clinic to save him he was in distress breathing so I breathed for him begging him not to die. He did make it to the clinic and the doctor tried heroic measures to save him but he passed from the stroke. I took his death the hardest because I feel even to this day Diego was my true love, my heart parrot. His loss affected me so badly I had to go into counseling to deal with my grief. Every Illiger's macaw I see reminds me of the special little macaw that had my heart.

Valentino my Red Fronted Macaw came home two months after Mihijo had his heart attack. For two months my home was so quiet it was a very dark time. I doubted my ability to keep parrots healthy and happy and I really didn't want to bring Valentino into my life anymore after Mihijo passed. Wendy Craig and I had a long conversation. She helped me realize that not only did Valentino need me but I really needed him. My RFM helps heal my heart and he saved my live in Nov 2013. Valentino and I have been though a lot the past year and half and I will do anything and everything I know to keep him healthy and happy. I will never stop learning how to take care of parrots in the best way possible.

I am a macaw person. Through and through.