• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lucy my Cockatiel is finally much better

Birdyldy79

Meeting neighbors
117392483_1199703650395375_2177819519874292534_o.jpg
So, here she is! finally acting normal and over whatever the horror was that started about a month ago! Time to celebrate her recovery. For those who don't know, I'll sum up what happened and why it's time to celebrate!

About Lucy:
Age 15
Gender female
Species Cockatiel

Around a month ago this little girl started to show a bizarre problem. Her head was moving like it was out of control, or like she was afraid someone was sneaking up on her and she had to continuously be looking for whatever it was. She would turn her head back and look around, up down and around with no real reason. Her eyes wouldn't focus either. It was birdy vertigo. Problem was I don't have a vet in the area that specializes in birds, the nearest one is 2.5 hours away. I took her to the vet the day after this, whatever it was, started. The problem is they don't have the equipment to properly look into her ears and or scan her brain to see exactly what was going on. It was presumed an inner ear infection though it could have also been a brain tumor. With little options we, the vet and I, decided to give her some medicine to fight infection and pain killers for the obvious headache she was suffering. I was worried sick, she could hardly stay perched. For the next two weeks I was giving her oral doses of both medications. She wasn't happy about it and would try to fly away but because she couldn't focus on anything and keep herself straight she would flop onto the floor.

A week after her medications were done she started showing signs of improvement. For the last week or so she's gotten much better and today is the first time she's wanted out and demanded it in her usual pacing fashion. I was heartbroken that she didn't want out before today and she's FINALLY acting mostly normal. Her head movements are mostly normal now and she's happy again. For the last week her appetite has returned to normal and she's eating like she should. She has a vitamin deficiency but that's another topic and not why I'm on this thread.

I'm celebrating today, that she's finally back to being my girl, back to her normal self. I'm celebrating her recovery! I'd like to thank those in my previous thread for the support and love I received in what was my darkened time. I don't know what I would have done if I lost my girl but here she is, all better! I love my Lucy.

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
View attachment 348984
So, here she is! finally acting normal and over whatever the horror was that started about a month ago! Time to celebrate her recovery. For those who don't know, I'll sum up what happened and why it's time to celebrate!

About Lucy:
Age 15
Gender female
Species Cockatiel

Around a month ago this little girl started to show a bizarre problem. Her head was moving like it was out of control, or like she was afraid someone was sneaking up on her and she had to continuously be looking for whatever it was. She would turn her head back and look around, up down and around with no real reason. Her eyes wouldn't focus either. It was birdy vertigo. Problem was I don't have a vet in the area that specializes in birds, the nearest one is 2.5 hours away. I took her to the vet the day after this, whatever it was, started. The problem is they don't have the equipment to properly look into her ears and or scan her brain to see exactly what was going on. It was presumed an inner ear infection though it could have also been a brain tumor. With little options we, the vet and I, decided to give her some medicine to fight infection and pain killers for the obvious headache she was suffering. I was worried sick, she could hardly stay perched. For the next two weeks I was giving her oral doses of both medications. She wasn't happy about it and would try to fly away but because she couldn't focus on anything and keep herself straight she would flop onto the floor.

A week after her medications were done she started showing signs of improvement. For the last week or so she's gotten much better and today is the first time she's wanted out and demanded it in her usual pacing fashion. I was heartbroken that she didn't want out before today and she's FINALLY acting mostly normal. Her head movements are mostly normal now and she's happy again. For the last week her appetite has returned to normal and she's eating like she should. She has a vitamin deficiency but that's another topic and not why I'm on this thread.

I'm celebrating today, that she's finally back to being my girl, back to her normal self. I'm celebrating her recovery! I'd like to thank those in my previous thread for the support and love I received in what was my darkened time. I don't know what I would have done if I lost my girl but here she is, all better! I love my Lucy.
Awwww such wonderful, happy news...just what we need these days! Thanks for updating us! :bliss:

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
This is incredible news! What wonderful loving care you've given your precious baby. Thank you for sharing your journey together with us. May she continue to stay strong and well.

mak

YAY!!! such great news!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's excellent news!