• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird plucking own feathers

lovelove

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi guys/gals,

I have a lovebird that is about a year old and he's just started plucking his right wing feathers to a point that the bald patch is half of his right wing & part of his lower neck. We've brought him to the vet and they've said that it's definitely not mites & probably a psychological thing a.k.a., behavioural problems.

We've swapped out his food to cut down on sunflower seeds, and giving him more of well-balanced pellets. He doesn't eat any fruits that we do give him as well.

He's very hyperactive and doesn't sleep much too. He's fine when we carry him in our palms, and he does fall asleep when we do that but he'll perk up when there's just a slight movement or a slight bit of sound. Is that normal? My other lovebirds (a pair in a separate cage) seem to be fine with sleeping through the night despite any sounds around them.

We've tried placing a soft transparent cone around him to stop him from plucking but that made him even more anxious, so we removed it. He's only calm when he's in our hands or in our jacket pockets/little bag pouch that we have for him.

It's quite heartbreaking to see such a beautiful bird treating itself this way. :sad4: If you guys have any suggestions on how we can get him to calm his anxiety down and stop his feather plucking, that'll be great!

Cheers!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Do you offer foraging activities? Worth a try including more/larger variety.

Plucking really is quite a complex issue. Something you will need to work with your vet to keep on top of and try to figure out what is causing it and what can be done to help.

th1e_f

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ahmed Elghawi
I'm having the same issue with my lovebird and im not sure what to do