• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird only attacks my fingers

hankfrank

Moving in
Hi guys,

I having trouble with petting my lovebird. I used to give him scratches on the neck and head, but lately he’s been avoiding my fingers. Whenever I try to touch him, he bites or fly away. But he has no problem landing on my palm or with kisses.
What should I do? I really enjoy petting him and I know sometimes he needs help with scratching after shower too.

Thanks for all the help!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
He could be moulting? Best to not pet if he is not wanting it. Wait until he asks for it again :)

hankfrank

Moving in
He could be moulting? Best to not pet if he is not wanting it. Wait until he asks for it again :)
It’s been like this for over 2 months now I don’t know if I should keep waiting or should I do something to encourage him. My fear is he’s going to get used to this and won’t let me touch him again. I’m feeding him treats and sunflowers seeds with my fingers but I don’t think that’s changing anything. Everything else is super normal and he’s still very affectionate. Do you have other tips or should I just keep waiting?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
How old is he? He could have simply grown out of it?

hankfrank

Moving in
How old is he? He could have simply grown out of it?
He just turned 1yo last weekend. It’s a little sad because after shower my other bird loves to get some petting around the neck and beak but he just rubs it into stuff by himself. But if he doesn’t like it anymore, I guess we have to leave it that way

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Yea, maybe he could have just matured and prefers you not do it.

I find they ask for scritches more after showers, and also when relaxing perched on me.

Keep spending time with him and see if one day he asks again. My eldest male, Sydney, didn like scritches as a young bird, but when he got older he started asking for it and now loves scritches. So it is something that can come and go for some birds.

hankfrank

Moving in
Yea, maybe he could have just matured and prefers you not do it.

I find they ask for scritches more after showers, and also when relaxing perched on me.

Keep spending time with him and see if one day he asks again. My eldest male, Sydney, didn like scritches as a young bird, but when he got older he started asking for it and now loves scritches. So it is something that can come and go for some birds.
Thanks Zara, for the advice!! Hopefully it will come back.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
When he's out of his cage exploring, playing and eating, leave him be, but when he comes and perches on you and relaxes, he might want them if you offer. Don't push him though, if you see him backing a bit, pull back.