• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird Just Passed Away

sjalfsmord

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Zeynep
Guys I'm so sorry that I'm writing this and making this a thread but I really need some help.

Today's been so hard on me. I didn't actually want to write the whole story but I guess I should let everyone who read this post knows.

Kavun was..very sick. And she didn't show any single symptom about it. She was fine, flying,chirping, having some chit-chat with her lover and all. She looked healthy. She ate,she drank,she was happy. But the end of the day we,my mom and I,didn't notice that she was losing weight. Could we? Possibly. Do I feel guilty about it? I feel terrible. I feel so horrible that everytime I breathe I think of her. I loved that poor little girl.

We took her to a vet immediately,right after she collapsed in her cage. Vet gave us a formula to feed her with but when I tried to feed her, she just didn't swallow it. I was so panicked that I rushed to an another vet,seeking help that she's not even eating the formula,not drinking anything either. She stayed on the clinic under the infrared light and then I had to leave. I had a phone call an hour later,saying that..well...she just passed away. We buried her under the most beautiful white rose bush ever.

I have two birds, Kavun and Karpuz. They were a couple. Kavun was a year younger than Karpuz, Karpuz just turned 2. Now Karpuz looks anxious,like,he knows something is wrong but he doesn't know what is. I bet he missed Kavun as well. Even I did.

So the question is: I've heard that birds may get depressed when their friends/lovers die. And I'm so scared about this. What should I do? And should I get him an another friend (not now but maybe in two months) ? And will he ever realize that his lover actually passed away? I'm so puzzled about this. He looks so sad,like,I can't explain this to anyone else. I just know that he feels bad. I feel him.

So sorry that I'm creating this thread. I didn't want to open one about a sad topic and make people sad but,here I am. I really need some help with this,I hope some of you can help me. Thank you. (Sorry for the grammar mistakes if I've ever made one. I can't even think straight right now.)

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
I'm going through the same thing right now, haven't been able to even write the notification. The first time it happened, we did get a new bird thinking it would help with the loneliness. And it did, but looking back I think he would've actually preferred to have all our attention and be a very spoiled boy. I'm going through it now again and my boy has the hardest time at night. It's been a bit over a month and he still screams at night, every 10 minutes or so for an hour. I have to just reassure him he's not alone. It would've been good if you could've shown him the body...that way they kinda know. The depression is something they have to go through just like you. I've been told to try to stay upbeat and not so sad around him so I go outside to cry. Give him time to grieve, you'll know when it's time to try a new friend...remember there is no guarantee that they'll get along when you do. I suggest finding one around the same age when you do. Sorry for your loss, I understand the hole they leave and the guilt you feel. Give yourself a break, remember the good times and be grateful you got to love him for the time you had.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry for your loss. Karpuz may go through a grieving stage. Just give him as much attention as you can. Let him know you are there for him.

sjalfsmord

Real Name
Zeynep
I'm going through the same thing right now, haven't been able to even write the notification. The first time it happened, we did get a new bird thinking it would help with the loneliness. And it did, but looking back I think he would've actually preferred to have all our attention and be a very spoiled boy. I'm going through it now again and my boy has the hardest time at night. It's been a bit over a month and he still screams at night, every 10 minutes or so for an hour. I have to just reassure him he's not alone. It would've been good if you could've shown him the body...that way they kinda know. The depression is something they have to go through just like you. I've been told to try to stay upbeat and not so sad around him so I go outside to cry. Give him time to grieve, you'll know when it's time to try a new friend...remember there is no guarantee that they'll get along when you do. I suggest finding one around the same age when you do. Sorry for your loss, I understand the hole they leave and the guilt you feel. Give yourself a break, remember the good times and be grateful you got to love him for the time you had.
Thank you for your reply. We thought about showing him the body but I just couldn't handle it. I thought maybe it would make him a lot worse. I'm thinking of being with him all the time.

By the way,so sorry for your loss.

sjalfsmord

Real Name
Zeynep
So sorry for your loss. Karpuz may go through a grieving stage. Just give him as much attention as you can. Let him know you are there for him.
Thank you for your reply, do they go through the same stages like humans do? And I will be there for him.

sjalfsmord

Real Name
Zeynep
I had a bird with a concussion and he wound up with neurological involvement. The first vet I took him to diagnosed him as being malnourished but he wasn't eating enough because of the injury and he was exhibiting other symptoms besides lack of appetite so I took him to another vet who confirmed that he had a concussion. He wound up being hospitalized for 3 weeks and was finally recovered enough to go home but he was never the same. Exhibited balance issues and head tilt. Not as interactive as he used to be. It's good to get your bird checked very soon.
We have an appointment with the clinic tomorrow,for him. Thank you for letting me know about this.. I'm so sorry that you and your birdie had to go through that.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We have an appointment with the clinic tomorrow,for him. Thank you for letting me know about this.. I'm so sorry that you and your birdie had to go through that.
Thanks but I actually posted this in the wrong place. Was supposed to be a reply in another thread. Ooopppss. My mistake.

It's good that you are taking him to the vet because he could have picked up something from her. If you hadn't buried her I would have recommended a necropsy.

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I'm so very sorry. She knows how much you loved her.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I´m so very sorry for your loss. I´m sure it is a very difficult time for you all, please don´t make it worse for yourself by keep thinking of the ¨what ifs¨ and blaming yourself.
I beat myself up for almost year with ¨what ifs¨ and ultimately, nothing changed, I just felt like crap. Once I stopped blaming myself, I was able to start moving forward.
I really wish I had some advice for you in regards to Karpuz, but I don´t. Taking him to the vet is very wise.
Maybe in the future, when you feel the time is right, you could foster a bird and test the water without commitment.
No need to apologize for creating a thread to address your loss, I´m sure you will find all members to be caring and compassionate.

May white roses grow yearly ❤

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm so sorry for your loss.

sjalfsmord

Real Name
Zeynep
Thank you everyone for all of your replies! I just got back from the vet. Karpuz is 52 grams,I guess he needs to be between 60-65 but the vet said it's not a big deal. Otherwise,nothing is wrong about him. He needs to gain a few grams,that's all.

Btw, I know it's gonna seem so off-topic but,yesterday when we took Kavun to the vet when she was in a bad condition,the first vet we took her told us that maybe the reason why she's sick is because of a parasyte that was inside of her. And he added he doesn't know for sure. And then we took her to an another vet because her condition was worsening,and she passed away there. And now I took Karpuz to the same vet where Kavun passed away and we didn't actually check for parasytes or anything else. He just got checked generally that's all. Is there a way to know that he has parasyte or not? Or do I have to take him to the vet again? What do you guys think? I know I'm being a bit paranoid about this but..I just don't want to lose a soul that I love.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
I’m so sorry for your loss :(

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Karpuz is 52 grams,I guess he needs to be between 60-65 but the vet said it's not a big deal. Otherwise,nothing is wrong about him. He needs to gain a few grams,that's all.
I was under the impression that Karpuz is a lovebird too?
52 is a good weight. 60-65 is overweight.

JaclynBin

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
Agreed - that’d be a fairly big lovebird. My hen who’s a bit of a larger lovebird has been in the mid 60s before, but only when she’s laying.

Is Karpuz a generally bigger built lovebird compared to others you’ve seen?

sjalfsmord

Real Name
Zeynep
Agreed - that’d be a fairly big lovebird. My hen who’s a bit of a larger lovebird has been in the mid 60s before, but only when she’s laying.

Is Karpuz a generally bigger built lovebird compared to others you’ve seen?
Yeah. He always was. His built is like that, he is a big boy, comparing to the other lovebirds. He's a bit "taller" to if I have to add.

Yeah, he is a lovebird, a peach-faced one. And I'm glad to hear this, I was clearly misinformed. Now I feel much better about him.

Well,now I guess it's safe for me to say that I have a fluffy and chubby peach-faced lovebird. Haha

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Yeah, he is a lovebird, a peach-faced one
52g is a good weight for a peach faced, unless that same bird was usually always (for eg.) 57g then suddenly drops.
I like to weigh my birds so I havea good idea what they usually weigh, and so that I can tell if they lose or gain weight. I like to put a cluster of millet on the scales and then zero it. My largest peach faced is usually 56, more when laying. My smallest is just 44.

I guess it's safe for me to say that I have a fluffy and chubby peach-faced lovebird. Haha
Please share some pics, I just love peach faced lovebirds! :)