• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Lovebird Help

Patrick15

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Patrick
If anyone has any advice it would be great. Our 6/7 month old baby lovebird, Miko suddenly started losing feathers around his face and weird yellow growing on/in his beak. Nothing crusty like I've seen photos of scaley face mites. He's eating well, acting normal but it's getting worse.
No avian vets in our area and we aren't sure what to do.
Please see photo

Attachments

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
It may help to let us know what your are feeding this bird and what is eaten. Reason being things like this can be a vitamin deficiency.

@fluffypoptarts

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
It can also be a fungal infection. You do really need to find a way to get to an avian vet. Where are you located?

Patrick15

Real Name
Patrick
Miko eats Kaytee Forti-Diet, Pro Health Conure and Lovebird food. It says healthy support diet with DHA, Omega 3, and Probiotics. The only other things he eats are millet and his cuttlebone. =( closest Avian Vet is in San Diego (about 2 hours away), Im going to call first thing in the morning.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
where are you? maybe we can help you find a avian vet in your area ?

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
I would maybe suggest switching to another food like zupreem, roudybush or Harrison's, I've heard negative reviews on kaytee products :/

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Kaytee is poor quality food. As suggested better to switch from this brand. Kaytee is a company that sponsors bird mills to fill the pet store trade under assumed names. That way people will buy their seed. You will find bulk quality bird food on mysafebirdstore. Many of us buy there. Roudybush and Harrisons are excellent foods that supply birds with good nutrients. You can call the company and get samples.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Lovebirds are also prone to beak and feather disease. Since he is a young bird that should be on the table as well. Please find a vet that is well versed in seeing birds to look at your kiddo :(

If he's not feeling well right now I wouldn't attempt any sort of diet conversion, but definitely convert him to a pelleted diet with some fresh fruits and veggies once he's feeling better. One step at a time right now.

Patrick15

Real Name
Patrick
Thank you, I will. I didn't know Kaytee wasn't good anymore. My grandparents owned so many aviaries, bred cockatoos, greys and amazons. They also rehabilitated birds as well, loved Kaytee products, maybe they were better back then. Wish they were alive today... Have a vet appointment scheduled for Monday..

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope your lovebird will be OK.