• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Lovebird egg bound or mass?

Angeline

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello i had gotten a female lovebird from a lady about 3 weeks ago the lady said she was pregnant and would be laying soon but i seen that she has a yellow bump as if she going to lay an egg but its been a long time not sure if thats normal or the lady gave me a sick bird but she does eat and drink water i also been giving her calcium supplements and veggies including fruit

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hello Angeline,

Birds are not "pregnant". The egg is developed and laid within a space of days so if there has been a big egg shaped bulge for more than 2 or three days, you should be heading to the emergency vet.
Around laying my hens get a bit swollen but it is not an egg shape so the difference can be visible between swollen (in general large) and with egg (an egg shape).

It is always a good ide to take new birds to the vet when you bring them home for a wellness check so she was due a vet appointment anyway.

You want to be using the calcium under vets orders, too much calcium can create hard shell and make it harder for the egg to pass.

I would ask for pictures but it can be hard to photograph egg bumps or swelling so you are best just heading to the vet to have it looked at in person. Hopefully all goes well :fingerscrossed:

Angeline

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello i had gotten a female lovebird from a lady about 3 weeks ago the lady said she was pregnant and would be laying soon but i seen that she has a yellow bump as if she going to lay an egg but its been a long time not sure if thats normal or the lady gave me a sick bird but she does eat and drink water i also been giving her calcium supplements and veggies including fruit
IMG_7954.jpeg