• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Lovebird beak scratch

Ajkehl

Checking out the neighborhood
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Hello, I would appreciate some advice for my sweet lovebird. He got into a keychain today and managed to get his beak stuck in the rings of the key ring. He wasn't stuck very long and didn't struggle too hard, so no blood or cracks. However there is a pretty serious scratch there now...any advice on what to do? I'm not sure if this is a vet issue or not as it is a scratch and a bloodless injury, and the bird is acting quite normal aside from a little extra beak rubbing on soft surfaces. I've included the best pictures I could get, he is napping in his cage now. (The Orange is from a carrot he ate, not blood) image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
Please take him to the vet as soon as possible. I would give him soft foods, sprouts, mash, for now. Thank goodness no bleeding but better safe than sorry. :sadhug2: I'm sorry this happened but we all have accidents and we all forgive.

Fritzgerald16

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
I'm not sure, but it looks like some some old beak just got pulled off. Can you see if it is cracked all the way through? if it is just a layer of over growth that got pulled off it's not that big of a problem. The thing to watch for at this point is if that layer that is lighter separated from the new beak and creates any pockets where food or water could get trapped.
If food or water gets trapped between the overgrowth (that he should rub off on his own) and the new beak it could cause bacteria to grow and rot his beak.
If you take him in to a vet they should be able to file down the rest of the overgrowth so no pockets form :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry about the injury. Agree that you should take him to the vet. Vet can check area, make recommendations and file it if needed.