• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for large cage for small bird

Ephy

Walking the driveway
Hello,

I am new to this forum. I have 2 birds, a ringneck dove and a rescued House Sparrow. (Intro to come soon)

I am looking for a cage recommendation for my House Sparrow. I want a large flight cage for indoors, with the small bar spacing. I'm hoping to find one asap. He's in a 18" deep, 30" wide, 36" high cage right now, but I really think its too small. I'd like it to be big enough for him to fly back and forth comfortably.

I live in Canada and I am looking for a decently priced cage for its size. Of course, i''d also like to keep my costs within reason.

Ive been looking at wayfair canada, not sure of the quality of the cages on wayfair. Ive also been looking at amazon.....but i really dont know where else to look.

Please help. Thank you

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Ephy :fairy2:

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
http://parrotdiseperch.com/east/products/cages-by-brand/hq-cages/small-parrot-flight-cage

This is a large 38" x 23" flight cage. Unfortunately, it's not cheap, because there are so few large cages for small birds, so they set whatever price they want. I haven't shopped around for a better price, but you have the model# now so maybe you'll be able to find one. A&E makes a cage the same size, similar style, which used to be sold on Wayfair, but I don't see it right now unfortunately.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My apologies. It seems that site doesn't have the model #. It's HQ 73823

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
HQ cages are awesome. I have my conure in the smaller version of this one, but this one does have 1/2" spacing. Web Store
However, shop around, I bought that exact cage for $220. And I'm not sure about shipping to Canada. It's crazy to me how difficult it is between the US and Canada.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I have finches, and always need 1/2" spacing. One cage I have used is this one - be sure to get the XL (model F050) and not the F040 or you can't do what I am about to suggest....

The cage is 37" wide so

I bought 2 of that cage and took out middle sides, pushed together, zip tied and you have 74" of flying space. It's overkill but *shrug* who cares?

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I have finches, and always need 1/2" spacing. One cage I have used is this one - be sure to get the XL (model F050) and not the F040 or you can't do what I am about to suggest....

The cage is 37" wide so

I bought 2 of that cage and took out middle sides, pushed together, zip tied and you have 74" of flying space. It's overkill but *shrug* who cares?
If you have the room, why not! I bet they love it.

Ephy

Walking the driveway
Wow, thank you for so many great replies and websites.
Alot of these cages look amazing, I'll have to take a longer look. Not sure how great the costs will be after CAD conversion and shipping though. :(

Hey Finchly, i am really curious about how you tied your 2 cages together. I would love to see pictures. Is this something that can be done with any cages or just that particular on, do you think?
Thanks again everyone for all your help! :)

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Maybe look for an HQ or A&E Double Flight?

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Not sure much you are willing to spend but I would love to have this cage if I had the room. 1/2" bar spacing

HQ Pet Cages - Big Cages/GC36432

I have this cage for my Quaker and Caique. It's huge, but mine doesn't have the seed guard so there are large gaps at the bottom that need to be closed off (I use dowel rods cut to length) to prevent smaller birds from getting through. It's a wide enough gap for my Quaker to get his head through, so it's definitely something that would need to be addressed for smaller birds.

Ephy

Walking the driveway
Hey Hollidaze. I have been looking at that same one for a couple days now and was seriously considering buying it. I love the size of it, but the CAD cost is just over $500. So i hadnt pulled the trigger yet.

Painesgrey , thanks for adding your reply regarding that AE cage. I didnt realize the space at the bottom would be so large, I would also remove the seed guard but that large of a space does concerns me quite a bit. I'm am glad I waited before buying this cage because this is something I'll have to think about.

How do you secure the dowel rods in the gap?

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Not sure much you are willing to spend but I would love to have this cage if I had the room. 1/2" bar spacing

HQ Pet Cages - Big Cages/GC36432
I was coming here to recommend this cage! I have one and divided it to house my green cheek and my parrotlet. It's really great, although there is a large gap at the bottom that I had to cover.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000E2DIE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1[url="https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000E2DIE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com : Kidkusion Indoor/Outdoor Banister Guard, Clear, 15' : Childrens Home Safety Products : Baby[/URL]

I ordered this for both the divider so they couldn't bite toes and was able to use it to cover the larger spaces with minimal inconvenience and had a ton left over to help protect the walls.

This is the BEST cage out there for little birds! It gives them so much space!

CrazyBrazy

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Josh Brazington
I have this cage for my Quaker and Caique. It's huge, but mine doesn't have the seed guard so there are large gaps at the bottom that need to be closed off (I use dowel rods cut to length) to prevent smaller birds from getting through. It's a wide enough gap for my Quaker to get his head through, so it's definitely something that would need to be addressed for smaller birds.
Painesgrey you have a Caique and Quaker together? I need to know more! Lol. We've had our wbc for 5 years. We just got a young Quaker (not quite a year old yet), 4 days ago. We are super super nervous about introducing them because our wbc is your typical crazy wbc. They got to do a little meet and greet very carefully and at first Babycake our wbc started to preen the new Quaker and the the quaker seemed to enjoy it (we haven't picked the perfect name yet for the quaker and waiting for the DNA test results), but then babycake seemed to pounce on its back to what appeared to be "mounting" or trying to "mate" or maybe establishing dominance. Babycake didn't make his pissed off, I'm going to kill you, Donald duck sounds, but actually made his happy Guinea pig sounds. The quaker didn't make any sounds at all. And we've learned the quaker has a pissed I'm going to kill you pit bull growl, which it didn't do while babycake was "mounting /pouncing" it.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@painesgrey hasn't been around for a while, but if I remember correctly, the caique and quaker are not caged together. This is an old thread so I'd suggest making a new one if you want more people to see your post and reply to you.