• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for a tree for my budgie

kifird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jeremy
Hi, I was thinking of getting an indoor tree/plant that my budgie would be able to chew on and play in. Right now all she has is the money tree (which is small) and she has nearly destroyed it. I've been growing some millet seeds in my back yard but it'll take a while. Do you folks have any recommendations for indoor plants and trees for small sized birds (that is durable)?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
It might be better to get some branches from some bird safe plants as soil can contain aspergillosis spores which can be deadly.

I give my birdies cuttings of dandelion leaves and flowers as well as herb plants which they love.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
My guys destroy plants quickly. I’ve been thinking about doing some potted bamboo, which grows quickly. Maybe that means it will regenerate fast, too!

Marvel_ous

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trinity
Bamboo is a good option! You don't even need soil to grow it, it's non toxic, and it grows quickly! It's cheap, too. Cheaper than a lot of bird toys if you buy it small, and then let it grow for a bit away from your bird. They sell bendy, curved ones too, which are extra fun!

:laugh: @finchly what a coincidence! Great minds think alike, I didn't see your post until after I sent mine