• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Local rescue

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Our local bird rescue had a lady who strung toys together for the birds. She passed a couple years back and the owner of the rescue asked if I would take the pieces and help.
I have a couple questions on safety. How can I tell if the metals are safe?
1. The small bells, very light weight. I can scrape the color off with pliers. It leaves scratches, does not flake off
2. The large bell. They are rusted inside but cleanable.
3. The keys. Very light weight, perhaps aluminum? Some seem to be key blanks- like when you get a spare key cut.
4. The colorful twine, how do I know if it is safe?
5. I have soaked things in f10. Stuff hasn’t been touched in years so they needed to be cleaned. Wood pieces now need to be re-dyed. What kind of dye should I use and where to buy it?
6. It included regular twisted string and chain- I already know I don’t have the right tools for making the chain the right length. string sound safe? Lots of beads for smaller birds were included.

Any help is appreciated. The toys won’t look professional but will be better for the birds to have more toys.

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I avoid any metal immediately that is bronze colored, as you know right away its not stainless steel or nickel plated.

The colored bells are likely vacuum sealed but if the color scrapes off I would be hesitant to use them.

The sisal looks fine; usually only bird toy people are coloring like that lol.

String can be a lot of different things; I'd need to see it to have a better opinion.

For dye, you can use Vitacritter (easiest) or Wilton's, Americolor, or similar food grade gels.

I use 70% isopropyl alcohol to mix with it. Only takes a quick dunk to get good color. Quick dunk means it is less wet, which means less chance for mold, and the alcohol evaporates quickly and leaves no residue. It also disinfectants as it is drying. Do not do the dyeing/drying around the birds though.

I prefer Vitacritter; Ann sells it and has a dilution guide.

mighty Birds also sells a small sample pack:

if you want to use gels:

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I avoid any metal immediately that is bronze colored, as you know right away its not stainless steel or nickel plated.

The colored bells are likely vacuum sealed but if the color scrapes off I would be hesitant to use them.

The sisal looks fine; usually only bird toy people are coloring like that lol.

String can be a lot of different things; I'd need to see it to have a better opinion.

For dye, you can use Vitacritter (easiest) or Wilton's, Americolor, or similar food grade gels.

I use 70% isopropyl alcohol to mix with it. Only takes a quick dunk to get good color. Quick dunk means it is less wet, which means less chance for mold, and the alcohol evaporates quickly and leaves no residue. It also disinfectants as it is drying. Do not do the dyeing/drying around the birds though.

I prefer Vitacritter; Ann sells it and has a dilution guide.

mighty Birds also sells a small sample pack:

if you want to use gels:

Thank you for the help!! Ordering the vitacritter tonight. Tossed the big bells.
Attaching pics of the string

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Bummer, it looks like cotton string to me which I would not be comfortable using as they can ingest the fibers :(

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I do believe it is cotton. What do you recommend for stringing small beads for budgies/cockatiels...?
I appreciate the help!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
I will be here watching! I’m curious on the type of safe string as well.

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
If it’s more papery it might be hemp?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
So wonderful of you to help out making the toys Pat! Very kind of you, I´m sure they birds will be very happy with whatever you make them :)

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
@Mizzely started dyeing the wood... a few pieces did not dye, thinking they are not birdsafe?
I hope to deliver a small pile of toys this week. They won't look as good as the ones vendors make, but they will be safe and chewable--goal!
Thank you for all the help!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
@Mizzely started dyeing the wood... a few pieces did not dye, thinking they are not birdsafe?
I hope to deliver a small pile of toys this week. They won't look as good as the ones vendors make, but they will be safe and chewable--goal!
Thank you for all the help!!
Sometimes if it's a harder wood it will repel the water more. But to be safe I would probably just not use them :)

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can’t wait to see what u end up making!

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
Good luck! They are gorgeous! :heart:

Oscarbird

Sprinting down the street
The small bells, very light weight.
I would be careful with those bells. Sometimes the dinger bit that's inside the bell isn't properly attached and sometimes a bird will rip them out and swallow them. I would double check to make sure that the bells dingers are all secure and that there is no way they can come out. Otherwise, I'm sure that the birds will love your toys:heart: