• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Linnie with no voice

Alliusis

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Caitlin
Hi!

I recently got a pair of Linnies who needed rehoming off of Kijiji.

They are very sweet, however the female has no voice. When the male calls out (if she's away from the cage for example), all she makes in return is this slight whooshing/hissing noise, like she's trying to call but that's all she can manage. I have never heard her vocalize in the four days I've had her. All she ever makes is that whooshing of air noise.

In your experience what could cause this? I have two budgies with me as well and I don't want them to get infected :( They are in separate cages but I'll be moving the Linnie's cage across the room to try and minimize cross contamination. I checked with the previous owner who had other birds and they said they had quarantined the linnies the best they could when they got them, and had not introduced any new birds in the time they had them.

The male (green) as an aside has a few yellow feathers starting to come in. They are seed junkies, although I did manage to get the female to eat some pellets from my hand. I know unusual feather colours can indicate liver issues related to diet.

I have an appointment with an avian vet for my two budgies tomorrow, but I'm going to call and see if I can't add my Linnies to the appointment. The secretary booked two hours, one hour for each budgie, but I think that's a bit excessive and hopefully if there's extra time at the end she'll be able to take a look.

Thank you!

Attachments

MaxieTheBirdie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kevin Dolby
Hmmm I'm Not Sure But Get To The Vet z5c0d9c44a91f8.gif This Might Be A Infection.

Alliusis

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Caitlin
Hmmm I'm Not Sure But Get To The Vet View attachment 291887 This Might Be A Infection.
Thank you! My appointment is tomorrow at 4PM so I'm hoping they'll all be OK until then. I have asked the previous owners if she ever made any sounds to try and get an idea for how long this has been going on. Their reply is pending.

MaxieTheBirdie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kevin Dolby
I think they will be z5c0da06babfce.gif till tomorrow just z5c0da0c9c14e7.gif

Alliusis

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Caitlin
OK it's all I can do for now so I will take a deep breath. I'm just glad she seems ok after breaking the blood feather. The previous owners said that they never heard her make a sound either so it's been going on for at least 5 months.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I hope the vet visit goes well.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is the female also plucking? It looks that way from the pic.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wondered if she was plucking as well or could her buddy be plucking her?

My Linnie is the quietest bird I have ever lived with but she vocalizes many times every day. So it makes sense for you to be very concerned.

Also where is the yellow coming in on your male? Green Linnies sometimes have a little yellow in the front of the wing. Like this:

Let us know how the appointment goes. Best of luck.

Alliusis

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Caitlin
Hi, thanks everybody. I will let you know what comes out of the vet visit.

The female is plucked along her neck. I'm assuming it's her that's doing it to herself as the male doesn't have any over-preened areas, but I'll have to continue to monitor to see. I just got them last week, haven't had them for a full week yet.

It was disturbing to watch her 'call back' to her mate with that little huff of air. My budgies aren't particularly fond of eachother and even they chirp loudly when they can't see eachother.

The male has yellow coming in right above his cere and around his eyes. Initially I thought his feathers above his cere were stained and was concerned about respiratory infection of some sort. I've attached some pictures. It's hard to see in the pictures but it's quite the shock of yellow.

I've gotten the female to start eating pellets, but only when I hand-offer them. Apparently the stuff in the bowl are totally different inedible little rocks :rolleyes: The male is slowly following suit but I'll have to work a bit more on that.

Attachments

Last edited:

Alliusis

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Caitlin
Hi all, just got back from my $600 vet visit :scared3: Well worth it to get everyone checked out though. On the subject of having no voice, she said that the best way to check it would be a CT scan. She said it could be due to their seed diet - she sees a lot of birds on seed diets with iodine deficiency, which can cause the thyroid to grow larger. It sits near the syrinx and could be affecting it. The vet recommended to hold off as it doesn't seem to be affecting her quality of life right now and she wasn't displaying any other symptoms, and watch how she is on the pelleted diet. I agreed, also because it's Christmas and I'm pretty much outta cash now D: I love these guys, just going to have to explain to my parents how the money I borrowed for some Christmas presents ended up going to my vet bills.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yikes, that's a bad vet bill. :(. You're a good birdie mama.
But good information! I hope the improved diet makes a difference fast! My Linnie is a big fan of Roudybush crumbles and Nutri-berries. She also eats soft warm food with her favorite ingredients right now being the carrots and sweet potatoes. She really likes eating things are a little large so she can show off that big parrot way of holding the food in her foot. :)

Alliusis

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Caitlin
Thank you! I do too. I currently have a bag of the Hagen Tropican, which Jocy now eats when I offer them by hand. I'm hoping she will get used to the pellets in her bowl too and that Joey will follow suit.

It was for my four birds. Three of them got physical inspections, all got wings and nails done, I also needed 2 weeks-worth of antibiotics for my budgies, and some iodine for the budgies and the linnies. It was a 2-hour appointment. I just hope everything goes well after this and I don't have to go back any time soon!

ETA a picture of my Linnies when they escaped their box and flew up to the garland... very seasonally appropriate :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
ETA a picture of my Linnies when they escaped their box and flew up to the garland... very seasonally appropriate :)
So cute! Looks like a Christmas card!