• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Life With Milton...

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Geez I'm so sorry for all this Bob. How's Kathy holding up through everything, and the rest of the flock? Thinking of all you guys... :huh:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Geez I'm so sorry for all this Bob. How's Kathy holding up through everything, and the rest of the flock? Thinking of all you guys... :huh:
Everybody's fine.
The tiels are all together now in a large flight cage...and they are very happy!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
...agreed!
They keep forgetting that they're messing with Bob the Goalie!
Someone holding a hockey stick, whether ice or field, is someone to be very aware off. Didn't like field hockey - I considered it a revved up version of golf in a smaller area with 2 bigger "holes".

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
...Milton is an Umbrella 'Too...and small for being a big, bad boy 'too...545g...
I believe the saying is "it isn't the size of the seas but the motion of the ocean" and Milton is very special 'too. :goffin: This is the closest 'too I could get many bird icons were missing.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Just try to not stress so much. Easy to say & hard to do as I stress over everything.

Still try not to take it so personally. The hospital & the employees are under a chain of command & just trying to
do their job as instructed. Big brother is always watching & with insurance & liability the way it is these days all of us needs to cover our assets. I understand. ESA or not it is possible a disease could be introduced from an animal or an accident incurred. All consequences have to be considered & the hospital is ultimately responsible for your safety & the other patients. It is good they arranged for someone to take you to a neutral area to meet with Milton.

:angel3:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Someone holding a hockey stick, whether ice or field, is someone to be very aware off. Didn't like field hockey - I considered it a revved up version of golf in a smaller area with 2 bigger "holes".
You make a very good point!
My thought ..."You never piss off a hockey player... (especially a goalie) because bad things happen!"
It is appropriate here....because a lot of people have pissed off this goalie here in Erie. (and now you know what WILL follow!)
This is not a threat of violence, of course. (what could a bedridden parapalegic do?) ;)

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
I used to work w/ a C.P. resident patient who couldn't speak, and only communicate #s [to hold a conversation] by pounding on a chair... Another person asked him one time--- what would you rather have... a whole body, or your mind--- He 'said' "my mind"... His body might have been warped, but his mind was clear!
We all had great respect for him!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
You make a very good point!
My thought ..."You never piss off a hockey player... (especially a goalie) because bad things happen!"
It is appropriate here....because a lot of people have pissed off this goalie here in Erie. (and now you know what WILL follow!)
This is not a threat of violence, of course. (what could a bedridden parapalegic do?) ;)
For a minute there, I had a mental picture of you ramming your bed into someone with a hockey stick across your lap. With Milton supervising from the head of your bed! :bvryafd::rnfrt:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Yesterday, a small tornado touched down near Blooming Valley, PA. No damage or injuries, but the weather radio did go off.
Kathy has family in Blooming Valley, so we pay attention when something like this happens...so this happened...

Kathy: Looks like Blooming Valley is getting it again...

Milton: "WANNA GO BLOOMING VALLEY!"

...weird bird....

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Yesterday, a small tornado touched down near Blooming Valley, PA. No damage or injuries, but the weather radio did go off.
Kathy has family in Blooming Valley, so we pay attention when something like this happens...so this happened...

Kathy: Looks like Blooming Valley is getting it again...

Milton: "WANNA GO BLOOMING VALLEY!"

...weird bird....
He likes EXCITEMENT!!! Glad everyone is safe!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Milton has discovered the outside world...well, kinda!
He's beginning to look out the window...and to respond to things going on when he sees them.
Yesterday he watched Kathy take the trash cans out...with great interest.
Then he was watching the critters running by in the driveway.
The best is when he heard the geese when they were flying by.
They were honking...so Milty honked back!
My big boy is discovering the outside world... :)

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Milton has discovered the outside world...well, kinda!
He's beginning to look out the window...and to respond to things going on when he sees them.
Yesterday he watched Kathy take the trash cans out...with great interest.
Then he was watching the critters running by in the driveway.
The best is when he heard the geese when they were flying by.
They were honking...so Milty honked back!
My big boy is discovering the outside world... :)
We already know he knows rain is WET :rofl:

Coldbreeze

Real Name
Alana
Phew! All 23 pages read. Took 1.5 hours. Oh Bob! I am so sorry to see you fighting this fight. I was BEAMING when I saw you in that Islanders jersey tho! (If only they would get their act together)

Unable to take care or self? Hmmm. Doubtful. They honestly just put there when that patient is REALLY Unable (pretty much not aware, Unable to move oneself/turn/sit up ect) Unable to eat on their own (on a thicken diet) I don't see you being this way. So I say They get..... DA BITTTTEEEEESS.

I am so happy to see photos of Milton and how sweet and devious he can be all in one day!

Please Milton keep Bob great company and don't test him!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Phew! All 23 pages read. Took 1.5 hours. Oh Bob! I am so sorry to see you fighting this fight. I was BEAMING when I saw you in that Islanders jersey tho! (If only they would get their act together)

Unable to take care or self? Hmmm. Doubtful. They honestly just put there when that patient is REALLY Unable (pretty much not aware, Unable to move oneself/turn/sit up ect) Unable to eat on their own (on a thicken diet) I don't see you being this way. So I say They get..... DA BITTTTEEEEESS.

I am so happy to see photos of Milton and how sweet and devious he can be all in one day!

Please Milton keep Bob great company and don't test him!
I keep fighting!
As for the Isles, I know the boys are working hard ..and hard work always pays off!
Milton keeps me on my toes every day...and he's expanding his vocabulary.
We don't get out much, so I won't post what he's actually saying...I've already been accused of having a "Delusional Disorder". ( by a psych ward in a local hospital) when I said Milty had over 110 words.
I am a gentleman, so I won't say what I think of the hospital...but Milty wants to give them DA BBBIIITTTEEESSS...:umbrella2:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
...and just for the record...Milton has closer to 150 words...and if they don't believe me, they can kiss my behind...

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Lol Bob, people don’t want to believe a bird can say so many things nor have any understanding of the meaning of those word sounds.
I think it makes people feel dumb to think that an animal can imitate them or learn to communicate clearly as humans do.

Burt has a habit of throwing his water dish which did seriously stress me pretty badly till he recently started a new sentence… he learned the silly human sounds that I make before putting new fresh water into his cage or offering him anything to drink from a cup or syringe and he now calls out “ya want a drink” when he needs his water replaced if I’ve taken too long. He’s done this for ages when he wants something to eat that’s not pellets- he calls out clearly “are ya hungry” and will keep going till my stupid head finally gets him something fresh to eat.
My mother has seen and heard it first hand a fair few times now (both the drink and hungry comments) but seems to put it down to coincidence every single time even though he dives straight in for a drink like he’s dying of thirst or races over to guts down his fresh supply of food.
She’s seen it, she knows it but it goes against everything she is as a human to actually believe he could have learned to communicate his food and drink wants that clearly. I’m sure Burt is not the only one out there who has learned some very clear communications between them and their humans.

Last edited:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Dobby says DOBBY, I'M DOBBY, DOBBY GOOD BOY, HI, and we know he has others. Lurch had many phrases and words and kept learning new ones from me. Lurch said OH BOY when I offered him a new treat, said very clearly one day what are you doing, and said hi sweetheart after we had a very bad day together when he wanted to make up and get attention. Nothing on Milton's level but he tried to make his wants known. Dobby just likes to announce himself and make happy noises mainly. Nerd spoke wild Pionus and so did I. I think it depends on the bird and Milton has been loved and wanting to communicate with his flock and they are known for being able to talk pretty well so he uses it to connect with his loved ones and make his needs and wants known and express his ideas and concepts.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Lol Bob, people don’t want to believe a bird can say so many things nor have any understanding of the meaning of those word sounds.
I think it makes people feel dumb to think that an animal can imitate them or learn to communicate clearly as humans do.

Burt has a habit of throwing his water dish which did seriously stress me pretty badly till he recently started a new sentence… he learned the silly human sounds that I make before putting new fresh water into his cage or offering him anything to drink from a cup or syringe and he now calls out “ya want a drink” when he needs his water replaced if I’ve taken too long. He’s done this for ages when he wants something to eat that’s not pellets- he calls out clearly “are ya hungry” and will keep going till my stupid head finally gets him something fresh to eat.
My mother has seen and heard it first hand a fair few times now (both the drink and hungry comments) but seems to put it down to coincidence every single time even though he dives straight in for a drink like he’s dying of thirst or races over to guts down his fresh supply of food.
She’s seen it, she knows it but it goes against everything she is as a human to actually believe he could have learned to communicate his food and drink wants that clearly. I’m sure Burt is not the only one out there who has learned some very clear communications between them and their humans.
OH YES!!! They know what they're saying!!! Our Timneh, Freddie, when she became part of our household, gave me 'her' name of Kendra [the daughter of her former owner]... One day, I was cooking on the griddle, and it was smoking. Well, her forest was on fire, so to speak... She called out twice: "Kendra... Kendra"... when I didn't respond, she YELLED: "PAT"... That I understood! And it was the only time she ever used my real name!