• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Leg band LGA 879

Yzirthart

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Weena
This was my sunconures leg band. I think it had a purple pink type tint at one time. LGA 879, I cannot track it to find out how he was or where he came from. I thought he was only 10, but passed away suddenly, like overnight. Maybe he was older than 10, does anyone know that code? I keep getting an airport in New York in my searches. Thank you. IMG_5492.jpeg IMG_5492.jpeg IMG_5493.jpeg IMG_5495.jpeg

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
this is all i can find on parrot bands:

how to check parrot leg band age - Google Search

from what i can see, LGA is the breeder, 87 is the year and 9 is the month. Average lifespan of a sun conure can be around 30 years of age. Possibly your bird was 36 when he or she died.
I would not assume this to be correct, unfortunately. My guess is LGA is the breeder and 879 is the number assigned to the bird. This is a common practice so they do not have to buy a new set of bands every year.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
This was my sunconures leg band. I think it had a purple pink type tint at one time. LGA 879, I cannot track it to find out how he was or where he came from. I thought he was only 10, but passed away suddenly, like overnight. Maybe he was older than 10, does anyone know that code? I keep getting an airport in New York in my searches. Thank you. View attachment 438519 View attachment 438519 View attachment 438520 View attachment 438522
I'm very sorry for your loss. Do you have any background information on your bird, like where he was first acquired or where you acquired him?

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
So sorry for your loss :sorrow:

Yzirthart

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Weena
I'm very sorry for your loss. Do you have any background information on your bird, like where he was first acquired or where you acquired him?
I want to say PetSmart in Wisconsin. It’s what I was told, but sure if it was accurate. Thank you.

jessem101

Meeting neighbors
I would not assume this to be correct, unfortunately. My guess is LGA is the breeder and 879 is the number assigned to the bird. This is a common practice so they do not have to buy a new set of bands every year.
makes sense, sucks they didn't put the bday on the band.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I want to say PetSmart in Wisconsin. It’s what I was told, but sure if it was accurate. Thank you.
PetSmart is hard because they buy from a lot of places. They used to get a lot from the Kaytee Preferred Birds program, but that I think closed up in 2007. I'm not sure if they had consistent banding or anything, though.

Surie

Moving in
Real Name
Surie
Hello,
Where would we go to find out? I’m looking at an Amazon yellow napped that they “say” is 10 years old. His band says FL 095. Just received his testing results and DNA results and the owner had “band 0&0 replaced with 095”. If that’s the hatch year then the bird is 43 or 28????? Either case not 10 getting ready to be 11. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Hello,
Where would we go to find out? I’m looking at an Amazon yellow napped that they “say” is 10 years old. His band says FL 095. Just received his testing results and DNA results and the owner had “band 0&0 replaced with 095”. If that’s the hatch year then the bird is 43 or 28????? Either case not 10 getting ready to be 11. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
With a number like that, it's unlikely to be a year. It's more likely to be a chick or band number for breeder tracking purposes. Is it an open band? Just curious about how a band was replaced

Surie

Moving in
Real Name
Surie
It’s a closed band now since I have been bonding with him. They open at 11:00 est and I’m going to ask why it was replaced. I do know they will put birds to sleep to replace or take off if it’s hurting the birds legs. Harley doesn’t show any signs of anything wrong with his legs as I checked that first as I just lost a Macaw that had feet issues.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
If your bird's breeder was one who supplies pet stores, they could prove very difficult to find. Most of them sell all their babies to pet stores or "jobbers" (middlemen) and never advertise, don't have websites or social media accounts for their birds. They don't need them. That makes them hard to find.

Surie

Moving in
Real Name
Surie
If your bird's breeder was one who supplies pet stores, they could prove very difficult to find. Most of them sell all their babies to pet stores or "jobbers" (middlemen) and never advertise, don't have websites or social media accounts for their birds. They don't need them. That makes them hard to find.
He’s at a local mom and pop bird store. So he’s not an actual breeder he just sells the birds. Ok just called the store and he said my bird is 10. That the note was about another bird not mine. Thank you guys for trying to help me solve this. It did teach me that I might as well let it go because I probably will never find out actual hatch dates.