• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Leaving bird and going on vacation, how do you guys do it?

rockybaby

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi everyone! I own a 11 month old Indian ring neck parrot and I LOVE HIM to death. He is my beautiful beautiful baby. I am leaving for 5 weeks to go on a holiday trip in a month time and I don’t know how I’m going to leave him. I will be leaving him at a family members house as they have birds and know how to take such great care of birds. My Indian ring neck has been away from me for 2 nights before but that was the most he has ever been away from me. He is attached to me and I don’t know how he will react when he doesn’t see me for 5 weeks. My plan is to take him to my family members house before I leave so he can get used to their house. Has anyone left their parrot for this long? How was it when u came back to them? Did they forget you or where they super excited to see you? Also, I am taking the hit pretty badly, each time I think that I’m leaving him, I start to cry. How did you guys leave your pets? I dunno how I will be without him for 5 weeks :crycry:

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I left both my birds for 19 days in January they where very pleased to see us when we got home we will be leaving them for 25 days next January.
I have always just left my pets dogs prior to the birds give them a stroke say see you in three weeks,
We check in with whoever is looking after them to make sure everything is ok and it's easy enough to be contacted pretty much wherever you are nowdays if need be.

It's surprising how resiliant you can be if something happens and you are away from home. Me and my wife where in Asia 6,000 miles from home and our grandson who was one at the time became critically ill required emergency surgery it would have been better if we where home but managed to keep in touch with our daughter to support her we visited him using our phones and he was out of hospital 10 days later when we managed to get home.

rockybaby

Checking out the neighborhood
I left both my birds for 19 days in January they where very pleased to see us when we got home we will be leaving them for 25 days next January.
I have always just left my pets dogs prior to the birds give them a stroke say see you in three weeks,
We check in with whoever is looking after them to make sure everything is ok and it's easy enough to be contacted pretty much wherever you are nowdays if need be.

It's surprising how resiliant you can be if something happens and you are away from home. Me and my wife where in Asia 6,000 miles from home and our grandson who was one at the time became critically ill required emergency surgery it would have been better if we where home but managed to keep in touch with our daughter to support her we visited him using our phones and he was out of hospital 10 days later when we managed to get home.
Thank you for your reply! I was scared if he will forget me but I read that parrots remember their owners!

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
I left Walter for a summer with my best friend and when he returned home, we went right back our normal routine. They are smart and they remember. It sounds like you have someone who is willing to take good care of your bird and is familiar to them. Also remember that it is good for the bird to gain new experiences and be cared for by different people. Birds live a long time and most birds end up with more than one owner in their lives. The more adaptable they are the easier the transition (whether short term like a vacation or long term like rescue and re-home) so enjoy your vacation guilt free.