• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Learning to fly

suniee

Moving in
So my cockatiel Moonbeam is having a hard time learning how to fly. I have only had one other cockatiel before him and it was flying the day I bought it. I didn't have the chance to see Moonbeam fly before i bought him though. He since has molted a bit more and you can clearly see his left wing droops much lower than the other. He is able to spread his wings fully but they aren't strong and when he tries to fly he just falls to the floor. I'm not sure if he possibly had a broken wing before and just was never able to learn to fly. I'd like to make sure he's safe and comfortable though when he does try.. Is there anything I should be doing to help him? Sorry the picture is blurry, he wouldn't stop moving lol.

Attachments

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
How old is he? Maybe have him try baby steps flying to you, so maybe you can help prevent the accidents if he's comfortable with you. Just a thought, He is very handsome :)

suniee

Moving in
I think hes about 3 months old.. He is half comfortable with me.. he will jump to my finger about 50% of the time i offer but he always acts like he's gonna hiss at me. He still nervous but he sees Starfire jumping all over me so he gets that I'm safe. It really feels like he's scared to fall and doesn't really know how to flap his wings.. Thank you he is getting sooo soft! :)

SkyLark

Jogging around the block
Skylark here, I have a tiel called Corky, who also can't fly. I find that giving them ladders, steps, and soft landing pads can do a lot for flightless birds. Try making sure that he doesn't hurt himself, and a vet checkup would be good, not only to check the wing but because new birds should get a vet checkup anyhow.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Are his wings clipped? If his one wing is always drooping, then he might have had an injury at some point. I also suggest a vet visit, since it’s always a good idea to take a new bird in for a check up.

suniee

Moving in
I will def schedule a vet check-up. and it looks like a few of his wings were clipped but not enough.. like a few in between some of his large feathers and the fluff on top.. I will also get plenty of ladders. I put the top of cage climb and play thing inside his cage so he could get around easier for now tho.