• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kittens and Birds

je0409

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
jadie
Does anyone has experience with training young kittens around their birds? I recently found a very young kitten, I'm thinking around 8 weeks old. I originally planned to take care of him until I could find a home for him, but he's bonded close to my dog and I, and I've kinda fallen in love with him. I don't want to keep him if it's going to decrease my conure's quality of life though. Does anyone know of any ways I could train him to lessen his prey drive and not go after my birdie? They're mostly fine being out together right now because she stays high up and he's so small, but I know that will change when he gets older. He's already taken interest in her and once tried to prowl behind her when she was on the couch. I gave him a stern "no" and put him off the couch, but I don't know if that's a behavior I can train out of a cat. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You cannot train instincts out of a cat.

A dog can be persuaded to some degree to ignore instincts in favor of a better reward.

The cat following its instinct to hunt is the reward.

I keep my cat and birds separate.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
My birds and my cats are never allowed in the same room

je0409

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
jadie
You cannot train instincts out of a cat.

A dog can be persuaded to some degree to ignore instincts in favor of a better reward.

The cat following its instinct to hunt is the reward.

I keep my cat and birds separate.
Okay! My dog was raised around my bird, and by training him to keep his attention off of her, he now gets along with her really well (they're never together unsupervised tho). I wasn't sure if the same was possible for cats. I have a relatively small apartment with only a living room and bedroom, and I usually spend my time in the living room. Would it be alright to bring my bird into the living room with me in the morning and afternoon, with the cat in the bedroom, and then swtich them out around evening time? Of course when either are put in the bedroom they'll have access to food/water/toys and everything else they need to keep them occupied. I'm usually the only one home and I don't want either one of them to miss out on socialization or get lonely.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Okay! My dog was raised around my bird, and by training him to keep his attention off of her, he now gets along with her really well (they're never together unsupervised tho). I wasn't sure if the same was possible for cats. I have a relatively small apartment with only a living room and bedroom, and I usually spend my time in the living room. Would it be alright to bring my bird into the living room with me in the morning and afternoon, with the cat in the bedroom, and then swtich them out around evening time? Of course when either are put in the bedroom they'll have access to food/water/toys and everything else they need to keep them occupied. I'm usually the only one home and I don't want either one of them to miss out on socialization or get lonely.
Yep, that's what I used to do with my cats! The cats were usually just sleeping in the bedroom the whole day anyways so they weren't bothered being contained in the bedroom :)

je0409

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
jadie
I wouldn’t trust the dogs either. I saw my dads springer spaniel launch himself after my Pionus. Very scary.
I understand! They're never left together unsupervised and they're not allowed to get close either. Honestly my dog is pretty scared of my bird and she isn't comfortable being close to him, so they're allowed out in the same room, but stay on opposite sides on the room. By "get together well" I just meant they coexist well. But I will definitely be very careful!