• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Jardine's Owners?

papaya13

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Hi all.
As an up and coming parront, I'm having quite a bit of trouble finding the right resources to prepare me (hopefully) for my new companion.
I've decided on a Jardine's and have a few questions for experienced caretakers, such as:

1) What cage? (general sizing and/or links would be helpful; budget is undefined)
2) What source? (i.e., where you found your bird)
3) What sort of home? (apartment, any other pets, children, etc.)

I'm trying to prepare myself the best I can for parronthood, and it's all leaving me feeling quite...
flustered. :depressed:

Any help would be appreciated!

SueA555

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sue Anderson
Joey is 17 now, and has always been a pleasure. He is very quiet, and in general I think a J would be fine in an apartment. Get the biggest cage you can afford. I got Joey directly from a breeder, who drove 100 miles to deliver him. Joey was pretty tame when I got him.

In some ways, Jardines can be difficult. Joey is very stubborn. He will bite if I try to push him into doing something he doesn't want to do. When he is hormonal, I move him around with a stick instead of my hands. You will learn his body language -- that will help you avoid bites.

He can be very independent -- sometimes he ignores me to play with his toys. He can also be very snuggly.

Barn owl

Meeting neighbors
Post above pretty much describes my Jardine, Kismet. He loves to play by pouncing on and wrestling with his toys! Not much of a talker, he says "uh oh" and "good boy" but can imitate a variety of sounds. His favourite treats are walnuts in the shell, we just have to crack them slightly because he can't open them himself, after eating the nut, the shell makes a fun toy!

papaya13

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Thanks for the replies, guys!
For either one of you, what bar spacing do you find suitable for your Jardine's?
I know it depends on the subspecies, but I'm not 100% sure which subspecies I'm going to get, or if I'll be able to choose at all, so I'm trying to shop on the smaller side.
I'm having trouble, however, finding large cages with a bar spacing of 3/4" or less...

If it turns out 1" is ok for all but the smallest Jardine's, I would be pretty pleased... Plenty of larger cages out there with 1" spacing. (Safety is most important though!)

If not, could you perhaps recommend a cage?