• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

It's Time!

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
That would be greatly appreciated!

Wow! All that snow! We hit 70 degrees yesterday and it looks like it'll be even warmer today! Guess Spring is here in WV. By the amount of birdies mating outside I'd say it's Spring for sure!
Have you heard any peepers yet? Spring is not officially here until the peepers start peeping. Lol

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Oh my. Poor Oscar. So, I'm sorry that I'm asking this because you probably posted before but why does it have to be up his nares? So, I don't know what Oscar is currently eating but I really like senior nutriberries for my older tiels. However, they do contain some seeds (but also milk thistle). So I don't know if your vet will say a complete no to seeds because of the possible fatty liver issue. On top of medication, I order anti-inflammatory supplements from Christine's Chop Shop for Rosie tiel as we to think he has arthritis in his wing.

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
If by peepers you mean frogs, they started their nightly chorus a few evenings ago. They sure are loud for such little guys. I found a Mountain Chorus Frog last year! Like a little gold nugget! Screenshot_20240314_124823_iNaturalist.jpg

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Oh my. Poor Oscar. So, I'm sorry that I'm asking this because you probably posted before but why does it have to be up his nares? So, I don't know what Oscar is currently eating but I really like senior nutriberries for my older tiels. However, they do contain some seeds (but also milk thistle). So I don't know if your vet will say a complete no to seeds because of the possible fatty liver issue. On top of medication, I order anti-inflammatory supplements from Christine's Chop Shop for Rosie tiel as we to think he has arthritis in his wing.
The medicine up his nare is bcuz she suspects an underlying sinus infection. She had to call in a script that's normally for human eye infection and comes in drops.

I'm in the process of switching Oscar over to Roudybush crumbles. He also gets nutriberries. I didn't know they made a senior one. The vet has not said no seeds. She even said if I couldn't convert him to a pellet that I could feed him just nutriberries!

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
If by peepers you mean frogs, they started their nightly chorus a few evenings ago. They sure are loud for such little guys. I found a Mountain Chorus Frog last year! Like a little gold nugget! View attachment 443727
Spring peeper frogs are exactly what im talking about. I have yet to hear them but no surprise, youre a couple weeks ahead of us here in PA. Yes, they are incredibly loud little guys.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
On top of medication, I order anti-inflammatory supplements from Christine's Chop Shop for Rosie tiel as we to think he has arthritis in his wing.
So Secret just had an annual visit.

What kind of supplements do you order? Also, why do you suspect arthritis in wing? (I'm kind of thinking Secret has issues)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So Secret just had an annual visit.

What kind of supplements do you order? Also, why do you suspect arthritis in wing? (I'm kind of thinking Secret has issues)
My vet actually picked up on it. Which I guess is her training, but I felt kind of dumb that I didn't realize it myself. Rosie would kind of hold his wings out a little bit away from his body, not have them completely flat. Based on his age at the time, which was about 31, I was always worried about his feet- which the vet says are fine- and never considered a bird would get arthritis in his wings. So, we started him on gabapentin to see if it would help. I think it does- which is a prescription. But on top of that I was givig him "Healthy Bird" from Christine's Chop Shop which was a mixture of ginger, tumeric, cayenne, cinnamon, etc. I would just sprinkle it over his food in the morning. Then the last time I placed an order I bought a jar called "Anti-Inflammatory". I am not sure if I ordered by mistake or if they just renamed it from Healthy Bird. I have to go back and look but it's has basically the same ingredients as Healthy Bird did but for like one of two differences.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Oh my goodness, blood out nares ...wow ...so sorry and scary !

I definitely think he is 20 plus years. I agree he doesn't look like a 12 year old....or if so it's from haveing a really tough aweful life . .even so I think he is much older.

Fatty liver probably. Penny has fatty liver , but really turned around on a healthy diet and exercise.

Poor buddy. So guess he is with you and getting proper care and love and in a safe place

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
So guess he is with you and getting proper care and love and in a safe place
No guess... He will be with us for the rest of his life and we will do whatever we can to make that life as happy and pain free as we can!

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
No guess... He will be with us for the rest of his life and we will do whatever we can to make that life as happy and pain free as we can!
:lol:
Auto correct from great! So great he is with you now! :heart:

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
:lol:
Auto correct from great! So great he is with you now! :heart:
Darn that autocorrect! It can cause issues at times. Had a friend who was texting his mother about going to Virginia... it "corrected" Virginia to something you wouldn't likely say to your Mom (especially a guy).

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How's Oscar doing today?

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
How's Oscar doing today?
Actually, he seems a bit lethargic. He's been super good the past two mornings for George. Letting George reach in and put a towel over him to get him out so I can put the drops in his nares. But he's sleeping alot. He slept a lot when we first got him. I even posted a thread asking if birds could have narcolepsy. Then he got more active and engaged. The past few days he's not playing with his toys or even barking at the dogs. I'm very worried about him.

P. S. Thank you for asking.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Actually, he seems a bit lethargic. He's been super good the past two mornings for George. Letting George reach in and put a towel over him to get him out so I can put the drops in his nares. But he's sleeping alot. He slept a lot when we first got him. I even posted a thread asking if birds could have narcolepsy. Then he got more active and engaged. The past few days he's not playing with his toys or even barking at the dogs. I'm very worried about him.

P. S. Thank you for asking.
Oh no! I'm sorry to hear he's under the weather. I'll bet that he's just utterly exhausted from all that he went through and being an older guy it's taking him longer to recharge and get his energy back.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Poor Oscar I hope he’s back to his normal self pretty quickly
As he had anymore blood that must have been so scary

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Poor Oscar I hope he’s back to his normal self pretty quickly
As he had anymore blood that must have been so scary
We've not seen any more blood or indications of bleeding, though he did sneeze 3x again yesterday. I'm thinking maybe I should not have him sleeping in the same room as the Dusty Tiels! I've read you really shouldn't house Old and New World Parrots together.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
We've not seen any more blood or indications of bleeding, though he did sneeze 3x again yesterday. I'm thinking maybe I should not have him sleeping in the same room as the Dusty Tiels! I've read you really shouldn't house Old and New World Parrots together.
It might be the problem I’ve read a lot about it too but I don’t know much about it is there a lot of dust is he quite close to them

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd definitely move him to another room if you can. Especially with him already being older and in semi frail health keeping him in the cleanest possible air will go a long way.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
A bit better. I got a call from his Dr late yesterday. She had the results of his blood work. I'm happy to report that his liver enzymes are good. So, no fatty liver disease. However, all is not well. His white blood cell count is elevated. Also his CK enzymes. She has prescribed another antibiotic (just as we finish the first one today). This one I have to get into his mouth! There's a lot of different reasons for elevated white blood cells. She's thinking an infection is the place to start.

Any tips on how to get him to open wide for the medicine? Oh, wait, his beak will already be open trying to bite me! At least this one is pina colada flavored. He may like it.

Poor George. He's the kucky one who gets to drive all the way to Charleston to pick it up. We've both been really sick. George got it a few days before me, so he's already getting better. But for the last 4 days, I've hardly been able to get out of the bed.

On a brighter note, the men were here yesterday to look at where we want the door put in and I should have a quote soon. It'll basically just be the labor charges as we'll supply the material. Can't wait to get it done. It'll just make my life so much easier.