• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

It's Time!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You've got this! Fingers crossed for an easy trip and exam.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Sending loads of positive vibes let us know how he gets on @April right you got this

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I hope everything goes ok :fingerscrossed:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Prayers up!!

sb sigmund

Strolling the yard
Praying for Oscar please keep us posted
:heart2:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Oooo
Let us know!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Hope all went well at the vet.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I hope he’s ok

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Yes I'm checking in ! Getting worried.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope everything is ok.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Prayers up sweetie! We are thinking of you. We are so praying for a Good update

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Update on Oscar:

Sorry I didn't post yesterday. It was such a roller coaster of a day. A bi-polar day, if you will.

We got Oscar to the vet at 7am without incident. We left Charleston and went to St Albans where I bought a really nice A&E cage from a person on FB marketplace for only $100.00! When we left St Albans, would you believe we drove past our old RV (the one we spent the last 7 years in) parked in someone's driveway! We had traded it in at a dealership towards our car. Million to one odds that would happen! So, feeling lucky, I bought a $3 lotto scratcher at the gas station and won $30! Looking like it's gonna be a great day, huh?

At 3:30 we were back at the vet's looking at Oscar's X-rays. Oscar's spine, right above the base of the tail, where the preening gland is, his spine is bowed out. Looks like someone with scoliosis. Below that is a damaged vertebrae. The vet said it's possible he was born that way, but it's most likely from a previous injury. His wings have quite a bit of arthritis, which, she said, could explain his droopy wings. She believes him to be older than the 12 years we were told he was. Kept referring to him as a senior bird. Said he might never fly. His muscles are underdeveloped. Probably due to being kept in a too small cage and from not flying.

She has sent his blood work to the lab and we should have the results in about a week. She is rather expecting they will show that he has fatty liver disease.

We got him home and about an hour later he sneezed 3x. I looked up and saw blood splattered on the wall. He was bleeding from both nares. I called the vet and, luckily, they were still there. I texted pictures. The vet was stunned. The sedative they used (they didn't have to anesthetize him, just sedated him for his procedures) has never, in her 30+ years of experience (she was a zoo vet for some years... very cool), caused any reaction in any animal. That's why they use it. It was definitely internal, not from the surface from a cut or anything. A broken blood vessel. She called in a prescription to Walgreens for an antibiotic. So, another hour drive to Walgreens and another hour back. So, now, the one who didn't feel comfortable putting a sedative up his nare, has to put antibiotics up his nare 2ce a day for a week! George and I did the first dose and it went smoothly. We do what we have to do!

Oscar's bloody nose. He's a fighter! Oscar sleeping on the way home from the vet. 20240312_170637.jpg 20240312_181944.jpg

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Update on Oscar:

Sorry I didn't post yesterday. It was such a roller coaster of a day. A bi-polar day, if you will.

We got Oscar to the vet at 7am without incident. We left Charleston and went to St Albans where I bought a really nice A&E cage from a person on FB marketplace for only $100.00! When we left St Albans, would you believe we drove past our old RV (the one we spent the last 7 years in) parked in someone's driveway! We had traded it in at a dealership towards our car. Million to one odds that would happen! So, feeling lucky, I bought a $3 lotto scratcher at the gas station and won $30! Looking like it's gonna be a great day, huh?

At 3:30 we were back at the vet's looking at Oscar's X-rays. Oscar's spine, right above the base of the tail, where the preening gland is, his spine is bowed out. Looks like someone with scoliosis. Below that is a damaged vertebrae. The vet said it's possible he was born that way, but it's most likely from a previous injury. His wings have quite a bit of arthritis, which, she said, could explain his droopy wings. She believes him to be older than the 12 years we were told he was. Kept referring to him as a senior bird. Said he might never fly. His muscles are underdeveloped. Probably due to being kept in a too small cage and from not flying.

She has sent his blood work to the lab and we should have the results in about a week. She is rather expecting they will show that he has fatty liver disease.

We got him home and about an hour later he sneezed 3x. I looked up and saw blood splattered on the wall. He was bleeding from both nares. I called the vet and, luckily, they were still there. I texted pictures. The vet was stunned. The sedative they used (they didn't have to anesthetize him, just sedated him for his procedures) has never, in her 30+ years of experience (she was a zoo vet for some years... very cool), caused any reaction in any animal. That's why they use it. It was definitely internal, not from the surface from a cut or anything. A broken blood vessel. She called in a prescription to Walgreens for an antibiotic. So, another hour drive to Walgreens and another hour back. So, now, the one who didn't feel comfortable putting a sedative up his nare, has to put antibiotics up his nare 2ce a day for a week! George and I did the first dose and it went smoothly. We do what we have to do!

Oscar's bloody nose. He's a fighter! Oscar sleeping on the way home from the vet. View attachment 443714 View attachment 443715
Poor baby! Bless his heart. He's so lucky to have the both of you. I really hope he'll be feeling better soon and that the bloodwork comes back ok

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Poor little guy. So glad he has you to love on him.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Poor little man so glad you found him :heart:

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Oh roller coaster indeed!
I'd have lost my mind though when I saw blood. Poor Oscar, and you!

Let me know if you'd like to know what concoction my avian vet suggested for my Jenday's bad neck arthritis.
I will PM you with it as I don't think it would be right to share widely.
But I won't be at the computer too often today as I have 2 feet snow and another foot coming today and have to go shovel off the roof and driveway.

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Oh roller coaster indeed!
I'd have lost my mind though when I saw blood. Poor Oscar, and you!

Let me know if you'd like to know what concoction my avian vet suggested for my Jenday's bad neck arthritis.
I will PM you with it as I don't think it would be right to share widely.
But I won't be at the computer too often today as I have 2 feet snow and another foot coming today and have to go shovel off the roof and driveway.

That would be greatly appreciated!

Wow! All that snow! We hit 70 degrees yesterday and it looks like it'll be even warmer today! Guess Spring is here in WV. By the amount of birdies mating outside I'd say it's Spring for sure!