• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Issue with cockatiels eye

Cassie123

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Cassie
Hi,

I went to the vet about a month ago because my cockatiels was squinting in one eye. I got some drops and it seemed to clear up fine. Anyway, more recently I've noticed when he looks up or to the side there's redness. When he's looking at me straight on you can't really see anything. I took him to the vets again and the vet didn't see anything wrong. He suggested I go back in a couple of weeks for a check up. Most of the time the eye looks fairly normal but sometimes it looks irritated like his third eyelid is irritated. I've attached a photo of when he's looking at me and it looks normal and when he's looking away and it looks red. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what this might be?

Thanks

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I can see the red tissue of concern in the first photo so I googled "Anatomy of the cockatiel eye" and came up with this below:

He could possibly have an early stage of conjunctivitis based on what you are saying about him but only a vet will be able to tell you by doing a test to confirm. You need to take into consideration his environment. Do you use any type of sprays in your home IE: aerosols, candles, incense..smokers in the house?

What do you use for the substrate in his cage... how often do you change it? Wash your water cups for him daily? Fresh food? Any other pets that may produce excess dust? Hasn't gotten into any potted plants in the house or has he been in contact with anything that could cause eye irritation. If you don't already have a good cleaning solution to wash his cage thoroughly you can order F10 veterinary disinfecting solution. At least give his total cage a good scrub and let it dry well.... including perches. Sometimes we have to be Sherlock Holmes to discover why and how they may develop a problem.

I would also suggest taking more photos with better lighting since it may be difficult for your vet to see a problem when you visit.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Agree with @Mockinbirdiva Please get better photos with natural lighting and show them to the vet. See if the vet office will allow you to e-mail the photos in before taking him back in.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
That looks like normal sclera to me. Can you check if the other eye is the same?