• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

ISO BTM aviary/breeder

BirdAtHart

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
Everyone’s opinions matter guys, that’s why we come on AA and post and read each other’s opinions :)
I personally think it is a little unfair to assume someone doesn’t understand the costs of owning a macaw only because they don’t want to pay more than they have to on the initial purchase. however I also understand that when people point out the costs it is usually because they care and want the potential owner to be prepared. We just need to be careful how we word things, I think, so that offense is less likely to be taken.
I also think that many of us bring home our birds because having them is a dream of ours.. yes we need to make sure we can provide for the bird appropriately, but don’t we do that because we have the dream of making a particular bird a part of our family? At least in my case that is why I did.
Just sharing my 2 cents though. We are all different and have different opinions on these things :)

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Everyone’s opinions matter guys, that’s why we come on AA and post and read each other’s opinions :)
I personally think it is a little unfair to assume someone doesn’t understand the costs of owning a macaw only because they don’t want to pay more than they have to on the initial purchase. however I also understand that when people point out the costs it is usually because they care and want the potential owner to be prepared. We just need to be careful how we word things, I think, so that offense is less likely to be taken.
I also think that many of us bring home our birds because having them is a dream of ours.. yes we need to make sure we can provide for the bird appropriately, but don’t we do that because we have the dream of making a particular bird a part of our family? At least in my case that is why I did.
Just sharing my 2 cents though. We are all different and have different opinions on these things :)
I agree that it can be your dream, but you need to be able to take care of this bird. And just because someone grew up with birds, doesn't mean they have the time or resources.

I believe that just because it's a dream doesn't mean you should do it. If it's a dream and you have the time and resources, then go ahead. If it's a dream but you can't offer good welfare for the bird then you shouldn't.

Reactions: Ali

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I see this thread is rapidly going downhill.

To offer a bit of context, a LOT of people join AA offering very little information about themselves and gravitate towards expensive, demanding birds like cockatoos and macaws. They baulk at the price of these birds but, crucially, are even more unprepared for the costs of owning a macaw. They object to literally everything, from getting a large enough cage to the massive vet fees involved should the bird get sick. I'm not saying that this is you, @ItWasntMe, but unfortunately the forum has had enough negative experiences that many people are wary. I really hope that you are different :)

Blue-throated macaws are also critically endangered, have restrictions on movement within the US and as a result, not many people are breeding them. As a result, they are likely to be more expensive than other macaws in the pet trade. You may wish to consider blue and gold or greenwing macaws if you can provide a perfect home and can cover the costs of owning a large, long-lived parrot but find blue throats too expensive upfront.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well said!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
ugh I tried them but they’re retiring!They would’ve been perfect but they don’t breed anymore
That is a shame. Did she offer any recommendations?

Right, however it is possible to obtain a permit to do so, although I’ve found that it is rare, which is understandable. Thanks though! ;)
While it is true that permits can be obtained, they are only given for breeding purposes to breeders who have qualified facilities and where the breeders have proven experience and success with breeding similar species.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Everyone please try and remain respectful to all other members. I understand that you may have a strong opinion, however try to restrain yourself. If you feel that you need to, you can always use the ignore function.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
you can always use the ignore function.
The problem with that function is that I only get up tight with people that need the advice, so ignoring them has the complete opposite effect.

ItWasntMe

Moving in
Real Name
Leah
That is a shame. Did she offer any recommendations?

While it is true that permits can be obtained, they are only given for breeding purposes to breeders who have qualified facilities and where the breeders have proven experience and success with breeding similar species.
Unfortunately no recommendations but I just found a breeder 45 minutes from my house who has a couple BTM so my problem is solved :) at least it should be

ItWasntMe

Moving in
Real Name
Leah
I see this thread is rapidly going downhill.

To offer a bit of context, a LOT of people join AA offering very little information about themselves and gravitate towards expensive, demanding birds like cockatoos and macaws. They baulk at the price of these birds but, crucially, are even more unprepared for the costs of owning a macaw. They object to literally everything, from getting a large enough cage to the massive vet fees involved should the bird get sick. I'm not saying that this is you, @ItWasntMe, but unfortunately the forum has had enough negative experiences that many people are wary. I really hope that you are different :)

Blue-throated macaws are also critically endangered, have restrictions on movement within the US and as a result, not many people are breeding them. As a result, they are likely to be more expensive than other macaws in the pet trade. You may wish to consider blue and gold or greenwing macaws if you can provide a perfect home and can cover the costs of owning a large, long-lived parrot but find blue throats too expensive upfront.
completely understandable!! The avian community is full of different perspectives and new comers have similar experiences/mistakes/thoughts. I’ve been in the aquarium hobby for a few years now and it’s all too similar, completely different animals yet identical community structure and care concerns... I feel a bit bird-policed but it hasn’t really changed much. I’m glad people care so much about the well being of parrots, it is a good thing. When it turns toward bird-police type behavior, it’s a difficult thing. However, I’m prepared for thousands of dollars in vet bills if an emergency happens etc., a 6x6x8’ aviary ready to be shipped the moment I know I’m sure I’ve found a macaw to buy, tons of time available especially since the restrictions if the pandemic, and money for toys and food. I have my plans for foraging opportunities when I’m away, I’ve done lots of research on proper diet and plan to have seeds and nuts be of very high value, I’ve reconnected with an old friend recently who is a parrot geek and has many small parrots and she totally questioned my plans on the spot which was good for me. I’ve watched lots of videos and spent lots of time trying to avoid mistakes that other parrot owners make although I know I won’t be perfect (and no two birds have the same personality). I was considering military macaws considering they have similar personalities to a BTM or blue and gold, at a point where I felt like I may not be able to obtain a BTM, but I’ve finally found the perfect place 45 minutes from my house so I’m excited.
I really appreciate your comment :) I’m glad people here care about parrots and other parrot owners

ItWasntMe

Moving in
Real Name
Leah
yes! Totally. I really appreciate this comment, very well said, thank you. When I think of my dream bird, I think of the struggle times too, and the physical, financial, and emotional effort that may go into caring for them appropriately, but the motivation from the outcome of a happy bird makes it all worth it :)

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
@ItWasntMe I am actually being serious now, what is the name of the breeder?

I found this one

Which I think may be a scam looking into them a bit more. I have posted in the scam alert thread to see if anyone is aware. There are so many scams and nobody wants to hand over a few thousand dollars for nothing that they will never get back!

Sorry for my earlier actions. I hope this makes up for it?

Edit... not the same breeder as you said 45 minutes away, not 6 hours :o:

Last edited:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
completely understandable!! The avian community is full of different perspectives and new comers have similar experiences/mistakes/thoughts. I’ve been in the aquarium hobby for a few years now and it’s all too similar, completely different animals yet identical community structure and care concerns... I feel a bit bird-policed but it hasn’t really changed much. I’m glad people care so much about the well being of parrots, it is a good thing. When it turns toward bird-police type behavior, it’s a difficult thing. However, I’m prepared for thousands of dollars in vet bills if an emergency happens etc., a 6x6x8’ aviary ready to be shipped the moment I know I’m sure I’ve found a macaw to buy, tons of time available especially since the restrictions if the pandemic, and money for toys and food. I have my plans for foraging opportunities when I’m away, I’ve done lots of research on proper diet and plan to have seeds and nuts be of very high value, I’ve reconnected with an old friend recently who is a parrot geek and has many small parrots and she totally questioned my plans on the spot which was good for me. I’ve watched lots of videos and spent lots of time trying to avoid mistakes that other parrot owners make although I know I won’t be perfect (and no two birds have the same personality). I was considering military macaws considering they have similar personalities to a BTM or blue and gold, at a point where I felt like I may not be able to obtain a BTM, but I’ve finally found the perfect place 45 minutes from my house so I’m excited.
I really appreciate your comment :) I’m glad people here care about parrots and other parrot owners
This tells me a lot more about you :) I really hope that you stick around - cummatively, members here have centuries of experience and we'll do our best to help. Some of us are spikier than others and we may challenge you with some hard-to-hear stuff, but we truly are dedicated to these wonderful, frustrating, intelligent, extraordinary birds. We really would like to get to know you.

You may have put him on ignore so not seen @Ali's message, but he was worried whether this was the place you found? Shop - Macaw Parrots Farm
If it is, I'm afraid to say that it's almost certainly a scam.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue Leah! :starshower1:

That´s great you found somewhere so close to home, I hope all goes well and you can bring home your feathered companion! :)

ItWasntMe

Moving in
Real Name
Leah
@ItWasntMe I am actually being serious now, what is the name of the breeder?

I found this one

Which I think may be a scam looking into them a bit more. I have posted in the scam alert thread to see if anyone is aware. There are so many scams and nobody wants to hand over a few thousand dollars for nothing that they will never get back!

Sorry for my earlier actions. I hope this makes up for it?

Edit... not the same breeder as you said 45 minutes away, not 6 hours :o:
yeah I’ve seen that website too and it’s 100% a scam. Thank you for trying to help me though.

I haven’t taken anything personally, no hard feelings.

The breeder is also a shop in woodland, I live in Sacramento. It’s called Parrots Naturally

ItWasntMe

Moving in
Real Name
Leah
This tells me a lot more about you :) I really hope that you stick around - cummatively, members here have centuries of experience and we'll do our best to help. Some of us are spikier than others and we may challenge you with some hard-to-hear stuff, but we truly are dedicated to these wonderful, frustrating, intelligent, extraordinary birds. We really would like to get to know you.

You may have put him on ignore so not seen @Ali's message, but he was worried whether this was the place you found? Shop - Macaw Parrots Farm
If it is, I'm afraid to say that it's almost certainly a scam.
hello! I did see that, it’s totally a scam, not the place I’m buying from. Parrots Naturally in woodland is the place.
thank you for your welcomeness :) this forum seems great and I’m glad there’s a place to come for such an abundance of knowledge and helpful people.

ItWasntMe

Moving in
Real Name
Leah
Welcome to the Avenue Leah! :starshower1:

That´s great you found somewhere so close to home, I hope all goes well and you can bring home your feathered companion! :)
thank you! :) Me too haha

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Parrots Naturally has a stellar reputation. I have an 8 YO male BTM, so I can offer some input when you have your bird. I will say that quick links will NOT work with a BTM. They are extremely mechanical; Harry often takes the breeder door off of his King's cage by unscrewing a nut that I tighten with a power driver.

I was surprised that you found militaries, B&Gs, and BTMs to have similar GENERAL personalities. All are individuals, but I find them to be very different, usually. Keep us posted on your baby. I'm excited to have another BTM owner here. @expressmailtome has a BTM, too, so he can chime in when you have questions. Ultimately, though, a macaw is a macaw is a macaw.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
As @aooratrix said, quick links are worthless. In his first five days at my house, Michael opened the front door on his Kings cage. Since then, I have had to use these with a stainless steel chain around every door on his cage: Stainless Steel Toy Hanger Large (1-3/4 .