• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is smoking Cannabis near birds safe?

Haydenb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hayden Barr
No need for the personal attacks; I found the act of me asking about the safety of marajuana usage on a bird fourm humorous haha. Personally I've made sure to steer clear of any smoke/fume/strong scent producing stuff but I've heard here and there that certain scents like vinegar, normal wax candles & lavender are ok if they're in another room away from the bird and I wanted to make sure that that extended to birds

Haydenb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hayden Barr
It's more of a once every few weeks to once a month thing; I keep an air purifier in there anyway & I take a shower after I get home so I'll probably just end up doing the same thing I do & make sure she avoids smoke/fume producing things as usual

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Candles (of any kind) shouldn’t be used inside a house with birds, even if in other rooms/behind closed doors/etc. One of my avian vets hard and fast rules is that there is no candle safe to use in a home with birds. I think unfortunately a lot of incorrect information is often spread about and eventually enough people believe it to make it seem credible. But medically, it is still harmful. Not just the wax that is burning, or the particles released into the air, but the wick (they’re not all made the same) can also be harmful itself when lit.

Haydenb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hayden Barr
Candles (of any kind) shouldn’t be used inside a house with birds, even if in other rooms/behind closed doors/etc. One of my avian vets hard and fast rules is that there is no candle safe to use in a home with birds. I think unfortunately a lot of incorrect information is often spread about and eventually enough people believe it to make it seem credible. But medically, it is still harmful. Not just the wax that is burning, or the particles released into the air, but the wick (they’re not all made the same) can also be harmful itself when lit.
Yeah sounds about right; I think I'm learning on this thread that there's a crap ton of misinfo on bird care

mubinkhan

Checking out the neighborhood
Pets' safety is a top priority. It's not a stupid question at all! So, here's the deal – using a bong for smoking is a smart move because it filters out a lot of the smoke and minimizes odor.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Pets' safety is a top priority. It's not a stupid question at all! So, here's the deal – using a bong for smoking is a smart move because it filters out a lot of the smoke and minimizes odor.
No, smoking anything anywhere near birds isn't a smart move. The smoke particles don't 100% disappear, and can still cause issues for birds and other pets. The best option is to do it outside, away from your animals.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
using a bong for smoking is a smart move because it filters out a lot of the smoke and minimizes odor.
No.
Can't smoke anything near birds. No cigarettes, bongs, vapes, nothing at all.
If you smoke it medicinally or whatever, you'd have to do it outside.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
A friend of mine was given a bird owned by a "drug lord". The bird is really messed up. Who knows what the bird was exposed to. So although by some miracle, the bird survived, inhaling whatever it inhaled has effected his mind. There was an old commercial that showed an egg and said this is your brain. Then showed a broken egg saying this is your brain on drugs. Same applies to birds.

Also this past summer, I picked up a bird from a home of a smoker for the rescue. This bird was bent over gasping for breath. It was gut wrenching. I rushed straight to the vet, the whole time saying in my head over and over, please don't die before I make it to the vet's. She made it to the vet's but died 2 weeks later despite everyone's best efforts.

So any smoking, vaping, etc around a bird is just abuse.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Holy cow this is terrible advice and very wrong! Please do not believe this statement you have made- people who do not actually like to smoke but like to feel the affects of it will shut themselves in cars or really small rooms with others who smoke bongs (used to be called a compression session in many circles) so they can get the same feeling of being high as the people smoking the bongs.

I once adopted a young cat who was subjected to smoke from its owners pot smoking through a bong- I struggled to breathe in the room I had to enter to retrieve her due to the bong smoke. She was permanently brain damaged and totally lacked any depth perception at all due to the amount of bong smoke she was subjected to.

A bong does not filter out a lot of the smoke at all....

Any smoking or burning of anything should be done outdoors well away from captive birds air space. I am shocked in this day and age of knowledge that so many are simply ignorant or uneducated about the actual facts of how damaging second hand smoke is to others.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Holy cow this is terrible advice and very wrong! Please do not believe this statement you have made- people who do not actually like to smoke but like to feel the affects of it will shut themselves in cars or really small rooms with others who smoke bongs (used to be called a compression session in many circles) so they can get the same feeling of being high as the people smoking the bongs.

I once adopted a young cat who was subjected to smoke from its owners pot smoking through a bong- I struggled to breathe in the room I had to enter to retrieve her due to the bong smoke. She was permanently brain damaged and totally lacked any depth perception at all due to the amount of bong smoke she was subjected to.

A bong does not filter out a lot of the smoke at all....

Any smoking or burning of anything should be done outdoors well away from captive birds air space. I am shocked in this day and age of knowledge that so many are simply ignorant or uneducated about the actual facts of how damaging second hand smoke is to others.
I agree my grandma partner smoked about 50/60 a day he was too poorly from smoking to walk to shops she would go for him about twice a day
I remember as a kid only about 6 staying at grandmas that horrible smell and feeling unable to breath laid in bed I hated staying there
My grandma died years later after him of lung cancer the doctors said her lungs looked like a 20 a day smoker for most her life she wasn’t a smoker never had been it was just 30years worth of living in that condition my mum and aunty moved out at 16 has my Aunty developed copd from passive smoking which she still as to live with

I honestly believe it’s each to their own what you chose to do with your life in your house it’s your decision but I do believe in your decision you should think about people/animals who can’t make the decision eg children pets cats dogs birds etc

I am a massive candle person absolutely love candles but when I made my choice to get my birds I chose to give them up