• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is my GCC just being a wierdo?

AYA

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gab
Hello, I have a 17 moth old green cheek who like to talk to corners (dark or well-lit) and dark places-- not just 'nest-like' ones, but also tubes that he can't fit his head in and gaps between stacked books. We like to joke that he's 'talking to the void', but does anyone have any ideas of what this behaviour could mean? He's been doing it since he was 8-10 weeks old, and the original sound (a sort of 'wrnk' noise) has morphed into something pretty close to a 'hello'. Sometimes he also taps three times and waits before talking.

So is there something more to this, or does he just enjoy the acoustics or something?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Koopa would do stuff like that, but to her shadow LOL. Sometimes they are really shy about learning new stuff and he might think you can't see/hear him so it's safe to practice. It might make it easier for him to hear himself and adjust his voice accordingly, too!

AYA

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gab
Oh, that's such a cute theory! It wouldn't surprise me if it was something like that, since he's usually a very quiet bird, keeping to hushed clicks and 'purrs' when otherwise talking to me :D

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
If he is chatting... its a blessing! Your so lucky! :fairy2:

AYA

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gab
Hello again! It's taken him quite a while to for Lawrence to get as chatty as he is with me right now, and I think a big part of him doing so has been me 'talking' back to him (I try to copy his sounds, and I think he's trying to return the favour, if he really is learning 'hello' :D )

Reactions: Tim

DancingFeathers

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Triton does this! He likes to stick his head between the bed frame and the mattress and yell "step up!!" between laughing maniacly.

Beakerz

Meeting neighbors
It's normal . I had a GCC that did this as well, lol.

PeppysPal

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Allie
I read the title and immediately thought "of course" :rofl: I was a Green cheek owner for 3 days and she made it very clear to me that she was a goof ball :hehe:

AYA

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gab
Heh, I figured that it'd probably be normal, I was just curious if anyone had any ideas as to what was meant by it :)

They do seem to be pretty silly birds... though that could be said for every parrot I've met :D

alcmene

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Heh, I figured that it'd probably be normal, I was just curious if anyone had any ideas as to what was meant by it :)

They do seem to be pretty silly birds... though that could be said for every parrot I've met :D
I think mine like the echo sound. They strongly prefer yelling in to things that echo

alicat

Real Name
Ali
My tiel whispers to his food bowl. All you'll see is a butt in the air and hear little gremlin DJ noises :D

Heather F

My GCC does that all the time! If we have left one of the kitchen drawers ajar he will hang from the fridge door on the dish towel and grumble/coo into it. He likes any kind of enclosed or semi-enclosed thing that will give him a nice sound studio. According to @webchirp who is the resident cheekie expert, it's largely a boy thing.

So yes, he is being a little weirdo, but in a totally normal and adorable way. :D

AYA

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gab
Oh, that's interesting that you say it's a mostly male behaviour-- Lawrence hasn't actually been sexed yet... I just guessed when I got him lol, so I wonder if, when I do go get it done, he will be a 'he' after all! It'd be cool to see if his void-talking, corner-chatting ways were indicative of his sex after all :D

Thanks for the info!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Koopa did it and was a DNA'd girl ;)

Beth In Alaska

Real Name
Beth
Lol that sounds very cute. Maybe tubes amplify the voice and make it sound more interesting! However, lets say he talks to the "other side" and call him a medium parrot.