• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is my cockatoo plucking or molting?

scotbird

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Dayna
So I have recently adopted a 3 year old female SC2 (Charlee) that had previously been owned by a family friend, unfortunately they didn't have enough time to provide her with the attention and care she needs, and before them, Charlee had been in hand-reared in a house with other parrots. Apparently since she was very young she was a plucker and it was put down to bullying by the other parrots. In the time that my family friend had her, her feathers had started to grow back a little and she has shown even more signs of growth recently. However, I've found these feathers in the last few days, the last one today. I think it's molting (two of them look like they've come from each side and her hormonal behaviour links in as well as the dowsy feathers I've found) but I've never had a plucker before and I just want a second opinion. She overpreens, and I'm worried she's pulled them out while doing so. What does anyone think?

Attachments

scotbird

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Dayna
from what i see it’s molting, if there’s blood still in the shaft of the feather or flesh on it it’s plucked. if you have any doubts you can call your vet and perhaps bring her in for a checkup. :)
Thank you! I did think that but just wanted to make sure with a second opinion. I took her to the vet for a check up two weeks ago when I first got her and they said she was all healthy, just needed a better diet and time to settle in, and that most of her feathers looked like they would grow back with time, so here's to another relief for me :heart:

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
Thank you! I did think that but just wanted to make sure with a second opinion. I took her to the vet for a check up two weeks ago when I first got her and they said she was all healthy, just needed a better diet and time to settle in, and that most of her feathers looked like they would grow back with time, so here's to another relief for me :heart:
that’s wonderful to hear!!!! i bet she’ll do great!