• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

IRN + Kitten ??

winnieirn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennette
I had a friend who's cat killed her parrot because she trusted her cat to stay in another room while she was outside doing things. She called me when it happened because she couldn't pick her bird up after it died. After seeing that I went home and put two baby gates between my parrots and my 5 pound yorkipoo. I just can't get that picture out of my head. People who come over say it's overkill but seeing that made me realize that no matter how much you trust another another animal around your birds accidents can happen.
Oh my god that’s terrible! :sad8: Yes, you always gotta keep the lil guys safe.

GoDucks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
I have had cats and birds most of my life and luckily no bird has ever been attacked. I would advise you to get the kitten if you want to and just use common sense. Yes, Siamese are incredibly stubborn but they are usually not keen hunters either.

winnieirn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennette
I have had cats and birds most of my life and luckily no bird has ever been attacked. I would advise you to get the kitten if you want to and just use common sense. Yes, Siamese are incredibly stubborn but they are usually not keen hunters either.
That’s great to know, maybe one day I’ll consider getting a kitten :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
All the Siamese I have known are terribly territorial to the point of actually being quite dangerous to other animals and humans.......and Siamese are still cats with prey instincts and prey play patterns.

It is never fair on a bird for its human to take the chance of having a cat roaming free where it could get the bird and I do not care how well people say they know their cat or bird......it is just a very ignorant, selfish and silly thing to do in my opinion.
I think there is a very valid reason cats have a bad reputation for being a danger around birds and other critters.......because they are!!! The big birds are not even safe from domestic house cats....I've seen wild galahs and cockatoos caught and injured by friendly house cats more than once in the last ten years!
I am not having a go at anyone in particular here.....I am personally just extremely tired of the "cats can be ok around birds" theme that keeps popping up, it is just that so many people here often write things about birds and cats based off ONE particular (usually quite odd, unusual or extremely lucky) experience they may have had or heard about- there are more people saying keep these types of animals separate than there are people saying it is and can be ok for them to co exist and there is a good reason for that based on behavioral science and statistics.
I sure am glad when visiting any type of zoo that they do not decide to take the chance of letting the lions, tigers or other predators roam free like they often do with peacocks and other prey animals!

GoDucks

Real Name
Jamie
All the Siamese I have known are terribly territorial to the point of actually being quite dangerous to other animals and humans.......and Siamese are still cats with prey instincts and prey play patterns.

It is never fair on a bird for its human to take the chance of having a cat roaming free where it could get the bird and I do not care how well people say they know their cat or bird......it is just a very ignorant, selfish and silly thing to do in my opinion.
I think there is a very valid reason cats have a bad reputation for being a danger around birds and other critters.......because they are!!! The big birds are not even safe from domestic house cats....I've seen wild galahs and cockatoos caught and injured by friendly house cats more than once in the last ten years!
I am not having a go at anyone in particular here.....I am personally just extremely tired of the "cats can be ok around birds" theme that keeps popping up, it is just that so many people here often write things about birds and cats based off ONE particular (usually quite odd, unusual or extremely lucky) experience they may have had or heard about- there are more people saying keep these types of animals separate than there are people saying it is and can be ok for them to co exist and there is a good reason for that based on behavioral science and statistics.
I sure am glad when visiting any type of zoo that they do not decide to take the chance of letting the lions, tigers or other predators roam free like they often do with peacocks and other prey animals!

Good point! They are indeed very territorial but they are not keen on hunting.

Cats can be okay around birds, bunnies, small rodents, etc. if common sense is used. The point is to obtain success in such a pairing, one should never lose sight of what a cat is- a predator.

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Cats can be okay around birds, bunnies, small rodents, etc. if common sense is used.
I dislike argument, but as this is a public forum I ask that you consider the danger of your words. People are wont to stop reading once they see what they want to see. Telling the public “cats can be okay” with a series of prey animals is wildly irresponsible. And “common sense” is a misnomer here, any sense dictates that you do not allow predators access to prey and expect the predator to behave itself.

You are welcome to believe that cats can be okay with prey animals, that is your right. But thoughts that could have serious, potentially life threatening repercussions, are thoughts best kept to ourselves. Or at the very least, not posted on AA where people come to seek information to better the lives of their fids.

GoDucks

Real Name
Jamie
You are right, this is a public forum that is enjoyed by people who may have differing opinions at times. Having a cat and bird under the same roof is no different than having a cat and dog living together. It is always going to be about common sense and vigilant observation.

"I dislike argument",

Then please respect my opinion and experience- and don't argue.

Last edited:

winnieirn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennette

You’re completely right. I don’t believe predators and prey should live together but I do believe that there could be some exceptions.
Although I’m not too big on getting a cat anymore, some cats and parrots do get along under supervision and I believe that it’s possible for a cat and a parrot to be in the same house (not room) and live completely fine.
Don’t get me wrong there should always be someone watching and some birds may be stressed out but there are cases where it’s not always like that.
I appreciate your concern and advice though. Thanks

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Having a cat and bird under the same roof is no different than having a cat and dog living together
Mmm not sure it is the same. In my experience, dogs and cats together are something you can train/teach to leave each other alone. In fact hubby and I married and also “married” my 3 dogs and his 2 older cats — it was a non-event. They sniffed each other and went on their way. Probably mainly because when my dogs are puppies I teach them that cats will hurt them. LOL

But cats seem to always stalk birds. It’s like they wait until they know you’re not looking, and there they go. Or like Monica said they find a weird way to sneak in and go after the birds.

And was it this forum where the person literally had double cages around the birds and the cat managed to injure the bird in spite of it?

Anyway....

I was stupid and thought my dog, that’s now 3 would not go after the birds. “I can train her!” I said. “It will be fine!” I said.

Yeah. Say that when she’s running from you with a parrotlet tail sticking out of her mouth. She is fine NOW but it took a long time. There weren’t any injuries but if I had it to do over I would not do it.

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
You are right, this is a public forum that is enjoyed by people who may have differing opinions at times. Having a cat and bird under the same roof is no different than having a cat and dog living together. It is always going to be about common sense and vigilant observation.

"I dislike argument",

Then please respect my opinion and experience- and don't argue.
How can one say that when clearly cats and dogs are predators with a high hunting and killing drive and birds are small delicate prey animals...

Accidents will always happen and the best anyone can do is keeping chances of accidents as low as possible. Bringing in a predator animal is just asking for something to happen. Your choice. My 2 cents.

"Cats always find a way to stalk the birds" - it's their natural drive. Honestly I would feel bad not only for a bird in this situation but also the cat. It's going against their natural instincts in every way - you're asking a bird to feel safe in the presence of a most dangerous predator and you're asking the cat not to do the thing that's deeply ingrained in them to keep them alive.

GoDucks

Real Name
Jamie
Mmm not sure it is the same. In my experience, dogs and cats together are something you can train/teach to leave each other alone. In fact hubby and I married and also “married” my 3 dogs and his 2 older cats — it was a non-event. They sniffed each other and went on their way. Probably mainly because when my dogs are puppies I teach them that cats will hurt them. LOL

But cats seem to always stalk birds. It’s like they wait until they know you’re not looking, and there they go. Or like Monica said they find a weird way to sneak in and go after the birds.

And was it this forum where the person literally had double cages around the birds and the cat managed to injure the bird in spite of it?

Anyway....

I was stupid and thought my dog, that’s now 3 would not go after the birds. “I can train her!” I said. “It will be fine!” I said.

Yeah. Say that when she’s running from you with a parrotlet tail sticking out of her mouth. She is fine NOW but it took a long time. There weren’t any injuries but if I had it to do over I would not do it.

Yes, cats are fascinated with birds such as they are fascinated with fish- which is why you have to always be careful when you have the two living under the same roof.

Now the dog and cat thing may work or it may not- I have had a bad experience when two of my dogs ganged up on my one cat- luckily, I was home at the time.

GoDucks

Real Name
Jamie
How can one say that when clearly cats and dogs are predators with a high hunting and killing drive and birds are small delicate prey animals...

Accidents will always happen and the best anyone can do is keeping chances of accidents as low as possible. Bringing in a predator animal is just asking for something to happen. Your choice. My 2 cents.

"Cats always find a way to stalk the birds" - it's their natural drive. Honestly I would feel bad not only for a bird in this situation but also the cat. It's going against their natural instincts in every way - you're asking a bird to feel safe in the presence of a most dangerous predator and you're asking the cat not to do the thing that's deeply ingrained in them to keep them alive.

I have offered my insight and experience- it is different than yours. We will agree to disagree on this one.

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I am not asking a bird to do anything because they are never allowed to be with one another- but I am careful that way. Then you have to apply that logic to all prey and predator animals- no more bunnies and dogs living under the same roof.

I have offered my insight and experience- it is different than yours. We will agree to disagree on this one.
Just as long as no one spreads false information/advice publicly that could lead to the death of the pet of an owner who didn't know better - fair enough. I truly hope you will never have to regret your choice to take the risk.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie

GoDucks

Real Name
Jamie
Just as long as no one spreads false information/advice publicly that could lead to the death of the pet of an owner who didn't know better - fair enough. I truly hope you will never have to regret your choice to take the risk.

Thank you, I hope not either.

GoDucks

Real Name
Jamie

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Please, lets not turn this nice post into a cat bashing thread.

As I have said, I have had dogs gang up on my one cat and I have had them kill my rabbits- but even with those tragedies it would never stop me from loving dogs or wanting one.

Thank you.
I am sorry you understood my post that way. I love cats. I have had some great ones in my childhood, my cat Ashes was a very positive force in my life when I was 8. I have friends who have nice cats. Cats are who they are. Parrots chew up our furniture and we accept that as a behaviour. Cats do hunt, it is a cat behaviour. The post was to help inform that cats do cause harm to birds. It was in not an attack on cats. As other have expressed, this forum is a public dialogue. The original poster was asking about advice on getting a cat with her IRN parrot. The audience of this forum is larger than the members. The advice of keeping cats separate is good advice. Keeping dogs separate is good advice.

I am an animal lover. I am not bashing any creature by sharing an article. If anything it could help raise awareness that we should take more care with cats. Dogs are easier to keep close via fences and leashes. Letting a pet cat outside, he or she can climb, leap and adventure off to hunt. A lot of people are starting to use cat nets and create cat play areas that prevent the cat from leaving their yard. I support this.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I just wanted to point out that it is never the owner that pays for a dog, cat, ferret, rat on and on killing your bird or rabbit. It is always the bird or rabbit or what ever is killed who pays the price.
I still say it is only because people say "I want, I want, I want". Not because the bird has any interest in you having a predator.

Don't make excuses for your behavior - just be honest.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
people say "I want, I want, I want". Not because the bird has any interest in you having a predator.
A few years back, there was a social media ad looking for a home for a litter of kittens found in a bin. They had all been given names and one was called Zara. I was so close to adopting her, more so when she was returned to the shelter after being homed. But I looked at Sydney and Jaime, and I just couldn´t do it. I still worked for someone else back then and I already had a dog. It was just a lot to take on and bringing home a kitten was just not a good fit for our family.
It was just like Mary said, me saying ¨I want¨. That was just my experience.
However I do know there are AA members who do have both birds and cats and are able to keep everyone safe.

GoDucks

Real Name
Jamie
I just wanted to point out that it is never the owner that pays for a dog, cat, ferret, rat on and on killing your bird or rabbit. It is always the bird or rabbit or what ever is killed who pays the price.
I still say it is only because people say "I want, I want, I want". Not because the bird has any interest in you having a predator.

Don't make excuses for your behavior - just be honest.

Thank you, Alice!- you took the words right out of my mouth. I agree, that you should always know your limits as well as your capabilities when adopting any animals. Just wanting any animal is never the right reason for actually getting one. You need to take in consideration, vet costs, space in your home, as well as the time and energy required in making your new animal companion happy. No matter what kinds of animals living under our roofs, we should always strive to make them happy and safe.