• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

IRN + Kitten ??

winnieirn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennette
So I have my Winnie (beautiful blue Indian ringneck) for almost 3 years now. And he’s very used to me, when I call his name he flies to me and when I let him out his cage he flies around but usually comes back on my shoulder. He even gets nervous when I leave the room. :xflove: I honestly love animals and I’m thinking about getting a kitten but I don’t know how I would introduce them to each other and I want a Siamese cat and I heard those cats are stubborn and hard to train so how would I train it not to hunt my birdy? :eek: Of course even with a trained animal I would never leave them unattended. But I just need some advice if anybody got a cat and trained it because I’ve seen many videos of cats and parrots getting along.:lol:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I do not believe a cat could be 'trained' not to do what is in it's nature. JMO.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Cats and parrots is potentially an accident, or worse, waiting to happen.

Cat saliva is potentially deadly to bites. A cat scratch could also potentially kill a bird. *DO NOT* declaw a cat!

It's better to take safety precautions and not allow them out together as it only takes one moment. I lost my first budgie to a cat. I was only a little kid at the time and my mother was spraying the house with Raid... which is also deadly to birds. They were moved to a relatives house who has an open floor plan. Said relative didn't keep a close eye on the cat and the cat knocked the birds' cage over and killed one. That's been my worst experience with cats and birds to date.

My previous cats were brother and sister. Well, the female cat was mine specifically. She *loved* to pull up the registers around the house, go down into the heating vents then pop up in the bird room. I was extremely lucky with her! She never harmed the birds, but I'm sure she always gave them quite the fright! I never completely trusted her, but it was hilarious watching her sit next to a cage of two birds, then "cat calling" (or some call it "barking") to a bird outside on the fence. Safe to say she was not a hunter... could not even catch a mouse that was right in front of her! --- Her brother on the other hand? He was a hunter. At something like 4 months old or so, he came home with a full grown male quail. I don't know if he killed the bird or simply found it... but he loved to hunt mice and kill them. or rather... play with them until they died. He definitely was not trusted with birds! And only once did he manage to get close to one! I had my mitred conure with me and he decided to fly out in the livingroom where the male cat apparently was. Charlie landed on the back of a couch. The cat immediately jumped up on the back of the couch with all intents of hunting him... that is, until Charlie turned around and chased him back off the couch! Again, I got lucky! If Charlie hadn't decided to turn around and chase him, the cat could have quickly scratched him or bitten him before I had a chance to get to Charlie himself.

Sure, you can train them, but you should never trust them completely.

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
I’m thinking about getting a kitten but I don’t know how I would introduce them to each other and I want a Siamese cat and I heard those cats are stubborn and hard to train so how would I train it not to hunt my birdy?
In short, you would not and you could not.
I just need some advice if anybody got a cat and trained it because I’ve seen many videos of cats and parrots getting along.
This is why we don’t allow photos/videos of birds with predators. People see these things and believe that it is possible to overcome millions of years of evolution, instinct, and nature because they saw something online. Cats are hardwired to hunt and kill prey. Birds are prey animals. There is no training that will alter these facts.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
We have one cat that shows keen interest in the smaller birds, and one that shows none at all. Neither are allowed in the house when the Littles are out. I don't let them near the cockatoo either, for their own safety, really. But their presence can stress the birds. Imagine being stared at by a lion, with nothing but some metal bars in between. No thanks!

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
I have four cats, three are recent additions with one two month old and two four month old. Had them for four months now so they're a bit older now. As said, you can never really train them out of instincts. They were all intensely interested in Jupiter immediately reacting to the cats staring, stalking or jumping at the bird deters behavior significantly. Now they don't bother the bird at all except for the youngest is still stubborn but you have to always be watching anyway.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
[Pasteurella multocida infections in birds following cat bites (author's transl)].
[Article in Dutch]
Smit T, Moraal LG, Bakhuizen T.
"Abstract
Infection with Pasteurella multocida caused by bites has been known for several decades. Cats are an important factor in Pasteurella multocida infection. Considerable numbers of victims are 'rescued' from the mouths of cats and submitted to bird reception centres for treatment. A number of bird shelters sent birds in this condition to the present authors for closer examination. The majority of birds caught by cats die. The mortality rates in shelters were reported to be 30, 90, 99 and one hundred per cent. Of the birds rescued alive from the mouths of cats, approximately 40 per cent died from the direct effects of the bites, and approximately 60 per cent died from Pasteurella multocida infection."

Cat, dog, rat, bunny, snake,...... bites/saliva/feces can and many times KILL your bird.

You should realize that your bird has no interest whatsoever in your having a cat, dog, rat, snake, or other predatory pet. It is completely your choice to have one or more of the predators. IMO and that means In My Opinion, I have little respect, in that regard, for those who do subject their bird to the presence and therefore the danger of predators.

Sorry for anyone offended, but that is exactly how I feel. I could lie to you and say something like, "isn't that cute", but I won't lie to you or anyone else.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
As someone with a bird and a cat, the best advice I can give you is DON'T GET THE CAT! It's an accident waiting to happen. Call me a hypocrite if you must. I've had my cat for 8 years and my bird for almost 2 years. I knew the risks and took them anyway, and in all honesty, it's the most anxiety-inducing lifestyle. If something happened to my bird, there would be no more until the cat was no longer around and vice versa.
I've also grown up with indoor/ outdoor cats, sometimes 2 or 3 generations at once, and they were always bringing stuff home. It's not worth the risk. You can make do with having both but I agree that it's irresponsible and it's a gamble that the bird will always pay for.
It's an accident waiting to happen, no matter how careful you are. Cats are predators, and a barrier or "training" will NEVER change that.

winnieirn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennette
Cats and parrots is potentially an accident, or worse, waiting to happen.

Cat saliva is potentially deadly to bites. A cat scratch could also potentially kill a bird. *DO NOT* declaw a cat!

It's better to take safety precautions and not allow them out together as it only takes one moment. I lost my first budgie to a cat. I was only a little kid at the time and my mother was spraying the house with Raid... which is also deadly to birds. They were moved to a relatives house who has an open floor plan. Said relative didn't keep a close eye on the cat and the cat knocked the birds' cage over and killed one. That's been my worst experience with cats and birds to date.

My previous cats were brother and sister. Well, the female cat was mine specifically. She *loved* to pull up the registers around the house, go down into the heating vents then pop up in the bird room. I was extremely lucky with her! She never harmed the birds, but I'm sure she always gave them quite the fright! I never completely trusted her, but it was hilarious watching her sit next to a cage of two birds, then "cat calling" (or some call it "barking") to a bird outside on the fence. Safe to say she was not a hunter... could not even catch a mouse that was right in front of her! --- Her brother on the other hand? He was a hunter. At something like 4 months old or so, he came home with a full grown male quail. I don't know if he killed the bird or simply found it... but he loved to hunt mice and kill them. or rather... play with them until they died. He definitely was not trusted with birds! And only once did he manage to get close to one! I had my mitred conure with me and he decided to fly out in the livingroom where the male cat apparently was. Charlie landed on the back of a couch. The cat immediately jumped up on the back of the couch with all intents of hunting him... that is, until Charlie turned around and chased him back off the couch! Again, I got lucky! If Charlie hadn't decided to turn around and chase him, the cat could have quickly scratched him or bitten him before I had a chance to get to Charlie himself.

Sure, you can train them, but you should never trust them completely.
Awh I’m so sorry abt ur budgie :(
but if I ever do get a cat I’ll never trust him alone with my Winnie.

winnieirn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennette
We have one cat that shows keen interest in the smaller birds, and one that shows none at all. Neither are allowed in the house when the Littles are out. I don't let them near the cockatoo either, for their own safety, really. But their presence can stress the birds. Imagine being stared at by a lion, with nothing but some metal bars in between. No thanks!
Yeah that’s true :wideyed:

winnieirn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennette
I have four cats, three are recent additions with one two month old and two four month old. Had them for four months now so they're a bit older now. As said, you can never really train them out of instincts. They were all intensely interested in Jupiter immediately reacting to the cats staring, stalking or jumping at the bird deters behavior significantly. Now they don't bother the bird at all except for the youngest is still stubborn but you have to always be watching anyway.
Yes I totally agree, because I’d be scared to leave them unattended no matter how nice the cat seemed.

winnieirn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennette
I can totally
[Pasteurella multocida infections in birds following cat bites (author's transl)].
[Article in Dutch]
Smit T, Moraal LG, Bakhuizen T.
"Abstract
Infection with Pasteurella multocida caused by bites has been known for several decades. Cats are an important factor in Pasteurella multocida infection. Considerable numbers of victims are 'rescued' from the mouths of cats and submitted to bird reception centres for treatment. A number of bird shelters sent birds in this condition to the present authors for closer examination. The majority of birds caught by cats die. The mortality rates in shelters were reported to be 30, 90, 99 and one hundred per cent. Of the birds rescued alive from the mouths of cats, approximately 40 per cent died from the direct effects of the bites, and approximately 60 per cent died from Pasteurella multocida infection."

Cat, dog, rat, bunny, snake,...... bites/saliva/feces can and many times KILL your bird.

You should realize that your bird has no interest whatsoever in your having a cat, dog, rat, snake, or other predatory pet. It is completely your choice to have one or more of the predators. IMO and that means In My Opinion, I have little respect, in that regard, for those who do subject their bird to the presence and therefore the danger of predators.

Sorry for anyone offended, but that is exactly how I feel. I could lie to you and say something like, "isn't that cute", but I won't lie to you or anyone else.
I can totally understand why you think so, and I don’t even want to risk my birdie getting hurt :(

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
It was just a bad situation all around.... and the person that was watching them is heartless and cruel.... unintentionally so. For years after, she thought it was a hilarious joke saying that the dogs or cats would just eat my birds right up like a little snack or a meal.

You can use the "+ Quote" to quote on the bottom right of the messages of all the messages you'd like to respond to, or tag a person by using the @ symbol then their name like @winnieirn, or by highlighting what you want to respond to and use the "+ Quote" to respond to multiple people in one message.

If you only want to respond to one person, then "Reply" works just fine. :)

winnieirn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennette
As someone with a bird and a cat, the best advice I can give you is DON'T GET THE CAT! It's an accident waiting to happen. Call me a hypocrite if you must. I've had my cat for 8 years and my bird for almost 2 years. I knew the risks and took them anyway, and in all honesty, it's the most anxiety-inducing lifestyle. If something happened to my bird, there would be no more until the cat was no longer around and vice versa.
I've also grown up with indoor/ outdoor cats, sometimes 2 or 3 generations at once, and they were always bringing stuff home. It's not worth the risk. You can make do with having both but I agree that it's irresponsible and it's a gamble that the bird will always pay for.
It's an accident waiting to happen, no matter how careful you are. Cats are predators, and a barrier or "training" will NEVER change that.
Sadly.. but yes I got to do what’s safe for my bird.

winnieirn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennette
It was just a bad situation all around.... and the person that was watching them is heartless and cruel.... unintentionally so. For years after, she thought it was a hilarious joke saying that the dogs or cats would just eat my birds right up like a little snack or a meal.

You can use the "+ Quote" to quote on the bottom right of the messages of all the messages you'd like to respond to, or tag a person by using the @ symbol then their name like @winnieirn, or by highlighting what you want to respond to and use the "+ Quote" to respond to multiple people in one message.

If you only want to respond to one person, then "Reply" works just fine. :)
OMG that’s horrible :( :mad: What a shizzty person

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I just got my puppy. Not a cat, but equal risk. I don't let them interact. It is just dangerous. A puppy, dog or cat could easily kill a bird. The saliva is also a massive risk. Keep in mind that even friendly play in a dog or cat's mind is too rough and tumble for birds. Dog and cat play is predation practice. Tug-of-war with your dog, practice ripping apart kill. A cat pouncing on a little toy mouse, hunting practice. There is nothing wrong with cats or dogs, but we need to accept them as they are, and sadly they don't mix well with our lovely birds.

Luckily the puppy sleeps most of the day so it is working out ok. If he wakes up and is too rambunctious I separate him from the birds.

The other major concern is that my birds do not seem to have any fear of this little pup. Even the parrotlets have landed on the floor and walked around, puppy dearest only a few steps away. Luckily we change our behavior and removed the dog from parrotlet play time. I have a doggie playpen that has a zip top, full separation! My dog does great with the birds.. but in our home this means no one is bothered by the other. The dog shows no interest in the birds, doesn't bark at them or jump at them when in their cages. The birds are themselves when he walks by and sleeps in the office. They always have separation.

I am not trying to be a debby downer :) I am just PRO safety for all. If you do get a kitty keep them separate.

winnieirn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennette
I just got my puppy. Not a cat, but equal risk. I don't let them interact. It is just dangerous. A puppy, dog or cat could easily kill a bird. The saliva is also a massive risk. Keep in mind that even friendly play in a dog or cat's mind is too rough and tumble for birds. Dog and cat play is predation practice. Tug-of-war with your dog, practice ripping apart kill. A cat pouncing on a little toy mouse, hunting practice. There is nothing wrong with cats or dogs, but we need to accept them as they are, and sadly they don't mix well with our lovely birds.

Luckily the puppy sleeps most of the day so it is working out ok. If he wakes up and is too rambunctious I separate him from the birds.

The other major concern is that my birds do not seem to have any fear of this little pup. Even the parrotlets have landed on the floor and walked around, puppy dearest only a few steps away. Luckily we change our behavior and removed the dog from parrotlet play time. I have a doggie playpen that has a zip top, full separation! My dog does great with the birds.. but in our home this means no one is bothered by the other. The dog shows no interest in the birds, doesn't bark at them or jump at them when in their cages. The birds are themselves when he walks by and sleeps in the office. They always have separation.

I am not trying to be a debby downer :) I am just PRO safety for all. If you do get a kitty keep them separate.
That’s lovely how even as a puppy he’s trained not to bother the birds. Though I understand that both cats and dogs are predators for the birds. If I ever do get a kitty they will live their separate lives because I’m not risking it.
Thanks for the advice! :)

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
I had a friend who's cat killed her parrot because she trusted her cat to stay in another room while she was outside doing things. She called me when it happened because she couldn't pick her bird up after it died. After seeing that I went home and put two baby gates between my parrots and my 5 pound yorkipoo. I just can't get that picture out of my head. People who come over say it's overkill but seeing that made me realize that no matter how much you trust another another animal around your birds accidents can happen.