• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

IRN + Kitten ??

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I have my dog, Roxie, as well as my bird, Chirp. As I type this, Roxie is laying on the floor next to Chirp's cage.

I know that Roxie would grab Chirp if she had the chance. She's not mean, it's just her nature. She sees a bird, she wants to play with it. It just happens that her way of playing is by grabbing stuff with her mouth. I know the damage a dog can do, even just with saliva. I know how quickly it can kill a bird.

It is my job to keep them separate. No matter how much Roxie cries or wiggles her stub, I will continue to keep them separate. I can't take that chance. If something happened to Chirp, I would never be able to forgive myself. Chirp doesn't come out unless Roxie is out of the room and the door is closed. Roxie doesn't come back into the room until Chirp is in his cage and locked in.

We've seen too many people come to the forum, say "Oh that won't happen to me!", and 6 months later they come back and say their pet killed their bird. It's happened too many times. Do your job as a pet owner. Don't let them interact.