• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Introducing New Parakeet

MPCacatúa

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Molly Perko
Hello! This is my first post (so I apologize if I am posting in the wrong place). I have three parakeets- 1 male and 2 females. The second female is younger than the first two. I had her in a separate cage but in the same room and she would call to them all day and only sit on the side of her cage closest to the other two birds. I left the cages open while I was at work and when I came home, the younger female had decided to move into the big cage. The slightly older two are bonded to each other and run away when baby bird tries to interact with them. That being said, we got her a male companion. Currently he is in a separate cage but also only on the side where the other cage is. Is it okay to cover one half of his cage so he can hear the other birds but not see them? And any other tips on a successful introduction to the flock would be great. Thank you!!

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Are you quarantining new birds?

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
WELCOME to the Avenue!! :yahoo:

I am sure that you will be able to find people to help w/ your Qs...

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
I am more of a 'morning' person [ie-- 4am EST'] so hopefully someone more in your time-zone...

MPCacatúa

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Molly Perko
Thank you very much for the welcome! I am a bit intimidated to post because I know I am such a novice compared to the experts on this site. I hope people are kind and give me grace with their input. I am a lover of all animals and want to provide a perfect setup and life for my feathered babies!

MPCacatúa

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Molly Perko
Thank you so much for your kindness I look forward to connecting with you further! You are so right- it’s all about them!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:welcometrain:Love to see photos of your gang.

MPCacatúa

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Molly Perko
Meet Kiwi, Tikka, Alto, and Ollie. Kiwi and Tikka (green and blue on my shoulder) are my first two that I got in November. I brought alto about a month ago (blue and white) and just today- Ollie! (Blue and yellow in quarantine) I am hoping he will be a companion to Alto. My bonded pair tend to leave her out and we felt bad! Looking forward to an introduction soon

Attachments

Last edited:

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
I'm SO GLAD you are satisfied w/ your're choice of birdie... many long years ahead of you ...

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:greet13: Welcome! Your birds are gorgeous!