• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Introducing baby budgie to one year old - help?

Hillybee

Moving in
Real Name
Hilary
Hi all
I took the plunge and brought home Franklin, who is about 6 weeks now, to Winston (about 10-12 months, birthday unknown).
Unfortunately it hasn’t gone as I hoped it would so far - which I thought I was mentally prepared for but obviously not.

Frankie (who we are pretty sure is a boy) came out of the nest only recently and when we picked him up, was huddled up with an adorable group of 3 little babies, one of whom was mothering and feeding him, which apparently he liked.

Winston has been with us, just me and my husband (and our 11 year old Labrador) since November 2021. He’s been pampered and tamed and trained, he’s got an extensive vocab, but is a very stubborn little thing (naturally) and does things on his own terms.

Frankie has his littleish cage which was Winston’s travel cage (not actually small) and Winston has his large flight cage all to himself. I had some initial positivity on day one of the introductions where Winston was of course interested. But Frankie is very attention seeking (from Winston - not me) and wants to be mothered and is desperate to be with Winston. However in the last 48 hours, I feel like Win has dug his heels in in his assertiveness.

Baby Frankie wants his love so Winston’s refusing to provide it.

It’s early days but I’m feeling so sad. My husband and I thought long and hard and waited ages to decide on whether to go ahead. Ultimately, with Win chatting to his tiny mirror night after night (home made, very small and part of other toy - please no mirror talk), we concluded that despite how much we love him (and he us) we can’t substitute for a feathered friend. We waited to find a breeder we trusted and a little one who was gorgeous and healthy.

We bring him home, and Winston’s all puffed up and blustering (after his namesake) while our baby Frankie just wants love. In some of the brief close interactions they had, Frankie was obviously trying to kiss or seek food from Win, and I couldn’t be sure but I suspect in return Win was pecking back rather than kissing. Also doesn’t help that I have to train Frankie at the same time and I’m feeling all down about that because Winston’s around and he’s not interested.

I know you can never know and I’ve done the reading but I’d still love to hear any constructive advice, your experiences introducing new birds (particularly babies and adults), and stories. I really hate the idea of after all this, having to keep them separate.
Would appreciate advice too on anything I can do to encourage their relationship. I tried to force bread breaking together …. Pic attached.

Attachments

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Winston isn’t refusing to provide love because Frankie wants it. Winston’s refusing, because he doesn’t want to, for whatever reason.

I’ve introduced a baby (with head bars) to an adult (2 years) once with success. My Winston (2 years) is a retired breeder budgie whose sole goal in life seems to be to dote on Aurelius (AKA The Giant Baby Budgie), who never really grew up. So, the long suffering Winston never gets his head pin feathers preened, etc. They’re both male & took to each other immediately, but I understand this to be very rare.

Cloud lost his friend Moss young. After the necropsy had ruled out infectious diseases, I brought home Ernest, a rescapé discounted due to feather damage inflicted by the other teenage budgies. Things seemed promising. They were the same age. All three are/were male. Then Cloud tried to kill/blind Ernest.

Same household, same genders, same person doing it. Drastically different results & the one that failed had younger, supposedly more adaptable budgies.

I would house them separately. One day they may decide to be roommates. IMO, it was key that Winston & Aurelius moved in to neutral space together - a new flight cage.

Any front face pics of the baby?!

Hillybee

Moving in
Real Name
Hilary
Winston isn’t refusing to provide love because Frankie wants it. Winston’s refusing, because he doesn’t want to, for whatever reason.

I’ve introduced a baby (with head bars) to an adult (2 years) once with success. My Winston (2 years) is a retired breeder budgie whose sole goal in life seems to be to dote on Aurelius (AKA The Giant Baby Budgie), who never really grew up. So, the long suffering Winston never gets his head pin feathers preened, etc. They’re both male & took to each other immediately, but I understand this to be very rare.

Cloud lost his friend Moss young. After the necropsy had ruled out infectious diseases, I brought home Ernest, a rescapé discounted due to feather damage inflicted by the other teenage budgies. Things seemed promising. They were the same age. All three are/were male. Then Cloud tried to kill/blind Ernest.

Same household, same genders, same person doing it. Drastically different results & the one that failed had younger, supposedly more adaptable budgies.

I would house them separately. One day they may decide to be roommates. IMO, it was key that Winston & Aurelius moved in to neutral space together - a new flight cage.

Any front face pics of the baby?!
I love that you have a Winston too ❤I will continue to keep housing separate but our house is very small. I think perhaps my best option will be - if things get any better - to completely redo Winston’s flight cage and change up the decor - do you think that would have a similar result?
Sorry to hear about Cloud and Ernest, that’s so sad :(
Front pic of baby Frankie attached!
33938C74-5A3D-492C-B1CE-87A2F48C7927.jpeg

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think you’d need to put each of them in a travel/smaller/other cage for a long time (think weeks), with the flight cage in another room out of sight of both of them & nothing in the flight cage currently put back in it later.

Then it might or might not work. I’m unwilling to risk it, given what mine did, but have contemplated it. Yours haven’t devolved to the point of violence yet, so maybe it’d work. No guarantees & the stakes are very high.

Hillybee

Moving in
Real Name
Hilary
This is helpful - I’m wondering if that’s what I do.
I’m a week and bit in, Frankie is properly trained, I’ve housed separately but also tried a few times getting them to share Winston’s cage.
It’s kind of like Frankie is not respecting the social cues or doesn’t get it.
Winston is not being aggressive, but Frankie keeps trying to get close to him and flies at him, then it’s an endless game of chasie with Winston trying to get away.

Also when they have been in the same cage for a while, Win starts pining at me and walking back and forth to get out.
It really seems like he doesn’t want to hurt Frankie, he just wants his own space, but Frankie doesn’t understand.
Sigh.
I’d get a new cage if I thought it would solve things but not confident it would.