• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Inseparable Siblings

Whizzer

Moving in
Hey all!
I've decided to purchase two GCC siblings who are really close to each other. They are handled daily by the breeder and her husband and I'm told they are very sweet, but after reading about bonded GCCs becoming intolerant of their owners, I'm getting worried. Any suggestions for how to bond with them? Thank you!!

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
Well, first off I wouldn't buy 2 birds if you want to closely bond. If you want occasional 'loving and playing' then 2 birds will probably work but if you're looking for a 'Velcro' bird that'll stick to you and be your number one friend then one is the best way to go.
That's my opinion anyway. It comes from owning birds most of my life.

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
We got 2, 8 week old cage mates at the same time, they weren't siblings but they had 3 newly weaned babies in a large cage together. They hung out together most of the time, but would always spend time with us. Just make sure you spend one on one time with each and with them together. It will always depend on their personality, but if you keep up the handling you should be fine.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
At some point in their maturation there may be competition. Keep a close eye on both of them as they grow. Two cages?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica

Whizzer

Moving in
At some point in their maturation there may be competition. Keep a close eye on both of them as they grow. Two cages?
Thank you for the response! Yes, I have a divided cage. I'll be sure to watch them closely.

Whizzer

Moving in
We got 2, 8 week old cage mates at the same time, they weren't siblings but they had 3 newly weaned babies in a large cage together. They hung out together most of the time, but would always spend time with us. Just make sure you spend one on one time with each and with them together. It will always depend on their personality, but if you keep up the handling you should be fine.
Thank you for the advice! I was concerned about how to bond with them if they are always together outside of the cage, but occasionally giving them separate playtimes sounds like a good idea. Thank you again!

Whizzer

Moving in
Well, first off I wouldn't buy 2 birds if you want to closely bond. If you want occasional 'loving and playing' then 2 birds will probably work but if you're looking for a 'Velcro' bird that'll stick to you and be your number one friend then one is the best way to go.
That's my opinion anyway. It comes from owning birds most of my life.
Hmmm good point. I can't say that I'm really looking for a velcro bird right now, given my work schedule, but I'd like for them to want to be around me at least. I think two birds will provide a good balance. I'm good about training schedules and sticking with them, so I think two birds will allow for a good balance. Thank you for the insight!