• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Inky Updates

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Received via email Inky's DNA/dental report today. She is 35% main coon cat, 12% american shorthair and the rest is from a group they call broadly western.

The medical consisting of eye disorders, muscle skeletal, blood, renal, cardiovascular, skin, endocrine are clear, low risk. For dental she is moderate risk for periodontal disease and bad breath. From day one i started her on dental chews with brushless tooth gel on top. Also use a water additive for dental health in her drinking water. No way can i get a tooth brush in her mouth. Plan on asking vet if dental wipes was are effective.

Really great to be proactive with your pets health. The company is called Basepaws and they also do dogs.

Sparkles99

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Did they say anything about wildcat (bengal, etc. breeds) ancestry?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
They were in the Eastern area and she is not related to them at all. Please don’t ask about eastern and western, I have no idea why they group them that way. If I wasn’t so tired I may have found the answer.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I think so too. It is very detailed in every aspect. I do not have the hard copy yet to take to vet so last night I did a few screen shots of what I think may be important for them to know. Just sent them via email so we will see if they have them for our appointment on March 7th. I can see some of the Maine Coon aspects of her in the fur coat and tail. Really thick and long. However she is not large in size, does not have the long whiskers. She does have the personality as I have had a Maine Coon and Norwegian Forest cat before.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Inky was 2 years old March 1. Its not her biological date of birth as that will remain a mystery. The first vet she saw assigned the date after examining her.

We went to vet today for ear check and will continue with once per month ear wash or all the wax will return. She has entropion of lower eye lids which means the lids are rolling towards the eye making her eyes tear. Vet said if it gets worse its an easy fix. They also do dental cleaning with xrays yearly for prophylaxis which is great. I really like the vet. He is a good listener.

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
Having a good vet makes all the difference. Inky is a very lucky cat to have you. :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I decided to get Inky a second scratching post because she scratches the carpet and it is a cheap one that easily will come apart. I was really surprised by her reaction when it was delivered. The second one is much sturdier and taller so she can stretch out better. As I was taking it out of the box she was trying to get her claws into it already. After assembly she acted like a kid on Christmas morning, running around the apartment with much glee. She scratched and ran around for about a hour or so until she had no more energy. It really made her happy.

scratch post May 23 2022.jpg