• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent INDIAN RINGNECK STUCK IN WALL

PrettyBirdy

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I'm posting for my friend. Three hours ago her indian ringneck male named Joplin got through a hole in her wall. She has made two more holes to try and get him out and has had no success. There are multiple levels in her wall and he's very scared. He's on the second story, but the wall section goes lower than the floor level.
In his confusion he has fallen past the floor.

They have flashlights at the holes.

Any ideas???

Any input is appreciated, everyone's very scared and stressed.

ConureTiel

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Come in from below, as in near the ceiling of the first floor? I think the lights are probably a good idea.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Maybe try and call either animal control or pest control company to see if they have equipment or ideas?

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Oh no poor Joplin. :(

I agree call animal services. They will have more experience handling this situation.

You don't want to create more gypsum dust if it can be avoided. Another thing you could try is to remove the gypsum board from the wall, just open it up. It seems like the wall is going to need replacing anyway. I wouldn't drill more holes, not only the gypsum dust but also the paint dust from the drill. You can find the screws using a stud finder or a strong magnet, scrap the drywall putty out and unscrew them. The panel will be a bit heavy so you might need to tag team to get it off. This might seem extreme, but honestly I think you will guarantee the bird can get out.

This assumes it is timber stud construction or steel frame.

PrettyBirdy

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Oh no poor Joplin. :(

I agree call animal services. They will have more experience handling this situation.

You don't want to create more gypsum dust if it can be avoided. Another thing you could try is to remove the gypsum board from the wall, just open it up. It seems like the wall is going to need replacing anyway. I wouldn't drill more holes, not only the gypsum dust but also the paint dust from the drill. You can find the screws using a stud finder or a strong magnet, scrap the drywall putty out and unscrew them. The panel will be a bit heavy so you might need to tag team to get it off. This might seem extreme, but honestly I think you will guarantee the bird can get out.

This assumes it is timber stud construction or steel frame.
It's an OLD house, not made with gypsum board, but I definitely agree with not making more dust.

simon777

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
Joplin is probably every scared because he cannot fly in there. Try lowering ropes through the holes you have made and aim torches to highlight the ropes inside the wall. Hopefully he will see a rope and climb. Hope this helps

Last edited:

ELS

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ellie
What time is it where you are? If it's during business hours I would call a contractor that deals with drywall. If anyone knows how to find things in walls it's them. As a bonus they can talk to him about coming back and patching the holes... maybe he'll give them a discount. :D If it's late and they're desperate or the bird seems to be in a lot of distress I would call the non-emergency line and see if they can send a couple of firefighters over; they usually have a lot of experience getting things out of tight places too. Animal control typically calls one or the other of these rather than trying to remove animals themselves.

If they are determined to do it themselves, I would try to find the exact location first. Perhaps they can try tapping/banging on the wall until they can pinpoint him. Once they find him, I'd try to cut above him because it is easier for him to climb up than down. The most important thing is for them to put on a glove and reach in and grab him as quickly as possible. Animals trapped in walls are scared and don't think or react clearly. They will almost always move away from the hole, whether its a kitten or a sparrow that got trapped. If you try to put something near them to help them they will usually run from it. They can't give him that choice or their walls will look like Swiss cheese before they get him out.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Hole at the bottom of the stud bay. Flashlight in it or next to it. Most favorite treats in or near the hole. Soft calling for him to come down. Lots of patiences call a rescuer for wildlife they might be able to help.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh no, that sounds so scary! I hope they can get him out soon! Keep us posted please.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I read it wrong, as QLD, not OLD house. So I am rewriting my message.

Can you send a picture of the wall, ceiling from the floor meeting the wall below and the wall above? If it is an old house, ply or timber will be easier to remove. It may require pulling up nails but it can be re nailed later. If he is in the floor joists between stories it might be easier to find a ceiling entry from below. I can give better advise if I can see the construction type. You explained that the wall went below the floor, which makes me wonder if it is balloon framing. This was a popular construction style in the 1800s US which can explain why the wall is this way. Something like this image.
EB1911_Carpentry_Fig._36_-_Balloon_Frame.jpg

PrettyBirdy

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Sorry for the lack of communication! This was all happening pretty late. He made it out this morning and has an appointment with an avian vet at 1 since his eyes seem irritated and swollen. Thank you so much for the advice everyone!!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Yay he is out.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That must have been traumatic. Great that he is out now. Hope all will be well with his eye.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Poor sweetie, I hope his eyes will be okay!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I am so glad he found his way out. Good luck at the vet little one. Hugs that your eye feels better soon! :hug8: