• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Impaction: Early Warning Signs?

Bella My Belle

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello,

I have a 11-year-old Gold Capped Conure named Bella. I recently purchased a toy for her on Amazon that had great reviews. I didn't notice until after I let her play with it that there were small sponge-like pieces that were attached. I've looked for the missing pieces but I can only assume she has swallowed them since I can not find them. Are they able to "pass" undigestable material? She's had the toy for about 3 days and I just noticed today. I want to take her to the vet tomorrow to get an x-ray to be certain but to ease my mind tonight, does anyone know what I should look for as early signs of impaction? She's seems fine. Eating normally, droppings are the same color although it seems as though there are fewer, very vocal, and active.
Thank you for your help!

-A very worried mommy

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Typical signs are vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, lack of appetite, and weight loss; however, it may take a while for these symptoms to appear, and since Bella only very recently was (possibly) eating the sponge, she may not show any symptoms tonight. I hope everything goes well at the vet tomorrow!