• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Impacted cockatiel chick (sad update #12)

snarge

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello, My cockatiel recently laid two eggs, but stopped taking care for them two days after they hatched. I started handfeeding them, but a day after that the male cockatiel started flying to me every time i fed them. He wanted to participate so I let him as I was holding the chick. He did a great job, but unfortunately both chicks stopped digesting the food my male cockatiel fed them. Right now the crops are half full and the intestines are full as well. One chick even has something black in his intestines and they both stopped pooping. I tried massaging them and putting a warm towel underneath them. I haven't fed them since I saw that the crops weren't emptying (about 24h ago) and still one chick's crop fills with air. I just now gave them a few drops of warm water and tried to feed them, but they won't eat. I phoned a vet that is very far from where I live since we don't have an aviary vet nearby, I sent him pictures, but he hasn't replied yet and there is a lot of snow right now so I can't go there. I am desperate and afraid that the chick will die. Here is a picture of the one with air in his crop and black intestines. The other one is impacted as well but seems better. I would appreciate your advice.

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Hi there, can the vet you called give you an option that is closer for immediate help?

snarge

No, there are no avian vets in my city and the ones I called couldn't give me advice. There is a snow storm so there's no getting out of the city.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Right, my avian vet is 90 mins away but she is able to tell me more local vets to go to in a true emergency. Even if you can find someone who sees smaller animals that might have an oxygen box, that would be helpful.

I understand there is a snow storm that is complicating things. Can you call the vet again and make sure they got your email?

I'm hoping someone with more experience will be by and can help.

snarge

I hope to be able to go see someone tomorrow morning but I'm worried he won't survive the night. It is past working hours and the vet I contacted saw the pictures and still didn't pick up so I won't bother him again.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
You could try a little unsweetened apple sauce in syringe or mashed defibered papaya in syringe ,but this really needs a avian veterinarian.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I see air in the crop , can you give them unsweetened applesauce with a few drops of BRAGGS apple vinegar added?
Lurch even after he decided we were friends would just suddenly scream and freak out when I raised a hand. I hate to think what he went through after his very old man owner was put in a retirement home and he was stuck with the rest of the family that didn't like him... :sad1:
All I can say is follow your heart.
I hope to be able to go see someone tomorrow morning but I'm worried he won't survive the night. It is past working hours and the vet I contacted saw the pictures and still didn't pick up so I won't bother him again.
Bother him! You pay for his service!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
The most common cause for a baby to have air in it's crop is a sour crop or yeast overgrowth.

Click on this link... there are five bird veterinarians online at the moment... type in what the symptoms are and they will try to help

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Copied and pasted a short portion of a conversation where someone had a chick with air in the crop.. describes how to massage the air out of the crop. I've been looking for other information as well. Even if you are successful at removing the air, it's likely to fill up again if the food is not digesting and actually fermenting which is causing the gas to form. This may get you through the night but you will definitely need to see an avian vet as soon as possible.

What are you keeping the babies in? What temperature of formula were you feeding the chicks? They should be kept warm in a container at a temperature of 85 degrees... formula should be 105 degrees

Dr. Jo :
Unfortunately, this is a very serious problem.

Dr. Jo :
The most common cause for a baby cockatiel to have a crop full of air is a sour crop, or a yeast over growth.
Dr. Jo :
With a little gentle pressure and massage from the left side of the crop to the right side of the baby's crop, you should be able to push the air out of the crop, back up through the esophagus.
Dr. Jo :
However, I'm afraid that won't solve your whole problem.
Dr. Jo :
Nursing a baby through a sour crop takes a lot of nursing care, and the outcome isn't always good.
Dr. Jo :
It's one of those things that is best learned side-by-side with the assistance of someone experienced with hand-feeding, as many different complications can arise.
Dr. Jo :
Your baby is in need of care from an experienced veterinarian or aviculturist.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@snarge How is the little one? Have you managed to locate a vet?

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Looks like sour crop- It is cider vinegar and applesauce.
Increase the heat (increases crop mobility), definately try the cider vinegar method and applesauce.

CROP BALLOONING:

Subcutaneous emphysema, distention of cervicocephalic air sac, is caused by air gulping, slow feeding or fermentation of food in crop producing gas. Please also make sure that your feeding tube is the appropriate size, the crop fully empties at least once a day and there is not a yeast infection.
-usually there is a yeast infection

SLOW CROP/CROP STASIS:

In most cases of slow crop, either the baby is kept at too cool of an ambient temperature, the food is fed at the wrong temperature (either too low or too high) or dehydration.

In the event of crop stasis or slow crop, administer rehydration liquid mixed with baby applesauce (or papaya) and massage the area extremely gently; ensure the next feeding has a mix of pedialyte and infant applesauce with probiotics to keep the mobility; antibiotics and anti-fungal medications should also be administered to correct the condition if bacteria are present.

If crop does not empty in a few hours:
  • Administer: Mineral Oil in pedialyte. If the crop does not empty within a few hours, add a probiotic and bring to the vet.
AIR IN CROP: Some air in the crop is not an issue with these birds- make sure to look out for 'bubbles' which can mean infection. Usually air in the crop is due to feeding a finch too slowly (causing the bird to gulp air) or infection. You can relieve the air by "burping" the bird: while the chick is begging, gently apply pressure to the crop and hold until the bird burps. This needs to be done a near empty crop. Infection (fermentation in the crop can cause air to build up inside of it) and may require treatment with an antibiotic or anti fungal immediately.

Last edited by a moderator:

snarge

Thank you all for your replies! I contacted the vet and he told me it was probably candida and I would have to give them medication. I massaged the crop and managed to get the air out, but it was forming again shortly after.. Unfortunately I live in a small city and had to wait until the morning to get help and medication, but the chicks got worse at around 4 AM and they couldn't make it.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m very sorry for your loss of the two little ones

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so very sorry that those two little babies didn’t make it. :sorrow:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm very sorry for your loss.:(

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I'm sorry to hear your chicks didn't make it. The tinier they are the more critical it is to get them help as soon as possible. At any stage of growth it's critical. Going forward, will you allow this pair to mate and lay again? First I should ask, was this the first time they laid and hatched a clutch? Some new parents will do a poor job taking care of their young, other times it can be too much disruption going on, inadequate food supply for the parents or simply not in the cards to be parents. Too many factors to list and not knowing their situation I can't guess why this happened. If you provided them with a nest box I would remove it providing there are no other eggs that will be hatching. With so many birds, including cockatiels in rescues you might well decide to keep them from breeding.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I'm so sorry for your loss of two little ones.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I’m so sorry for your loss