• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I'm getting a parakeet

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:greet14: Welcome. You're already on the right track just by wanting to learn ahead of time! When are you getting your bird? How old is he or she? Do you have a cage or any supplies yet? That way we know what you're working with. Your bird will have a fantastic home, I'm sure! :dance55:

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Parakeets are fun but can be scared and flighty, depending on where you're getting them from. IMHO, they're very delicate and tend to hide when they're ill until its too late. Be gentle, kind and patient with your bird, try not to rush your relationship with your new little friend and be very careful when you let him or her out of their cage. My budgie was prone to flying into things (ie: toilet bowls and garbage cans), and you should always check and double-check because they seem to know when you forget and will make a bee-line for them.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! Birds shouldn't be around scented things- so no burning candles, air freshners, etc. Also, you shouldn't use Teflon pans if you have birds.

Davi

Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Along with the advice already given (and congrats on wanting to do some research first!), just look at the space where your little birdie will be and "birdie proof" it by taking their perspective. If you can picture them getting into a small nook or behind a large piece of furniture, try to rearrange/cover things first. As much fun as budgies are, they are really very delicate little guys/gals. So it's important to make sure they won't be colliding with anything. Also, make sure to cover/hide ALL mirrors that might be present in the room, along with all windows. They can't see glass, so it's important to close all blinds, curtains, etc. and turn off any fans. Hope this helps and best of luck! Keep us posted!

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
Just wanted to welcome you and congrats for your soon to be new feather baby.

Things to avoid would be anything scented around the bird (like candles, air fresheners, bleach and other harsh cleaning products, perfume and deodorant etc) non stick cookware is dangerous (fumes), unwashed veggies and fruit (pesticides), any toys with long string, big chains or loops, as well as zinc or unnatural paint, sandpaper perches, avocado, most stones and pips of fruit, chocolate, salty foods, fizzy drinks etc.

Some things that I have made mistakes on was not closing cage doors (I thought I did) luckily my bedroom door stays shut, I triple check them now.

Some things that my budgies love are balsa, Chinese finger traps, carrots, blueberries, broccoli, peas and making a mess (though I do have four)!

Pip and Gracie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
graziella
I have all supplies and i've gotten multiple toys, that are safe for the bird. I would just need to get the nook, or little hut thingy. I'm getting her tomorrow from the shelter and i'm nervous that she may not settle in, she's been alone for a while in there and i'm wondering if i should get another one from the store to accompany her. Would that be a necessity or not?

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I think she would probably enjoy some kind of company, but I'd let her settle in first. There's no guarantee that they'll get along, plus you'd need to quarantine the new bird.

Last edited:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Most people do at least 30 days, but some advocate 45-60. It will be very hard not to introduce them right away, but it is very important to know the pet shop bird isn't bringing any diseases to your new girl or vice versa. You could bring them home around same time, I suppose. In a way, you'd be quarantining both.

Please make sure they're nowhere near each other and wash your hands between handling them or feeding/cleaning up after them. :)

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
I have all supplies and i've gotten multiple toys, that are safe for the bird. I would just need to get the nook, or little hut thingy. I'm getting her tomorrow from the shelter and i'm nervous that she may not settle in, she's been alone for a while in there and i'm wondering if i should get another one from the store to accompany her. Would that be a necessity or not?

Please don't get the nook, or any hut type thing, especially since you are getting a female. These can be viewed as a "nest" and may encourage her to lay eggs. (yes, even a single female can and will lay eggs) This can lead to egg binding and if you're not prepared, it can be fatal to your new bird.
Same with half coconut shells, or anything big enough for her to sit in.

Serin

Sprinting down the street
Quarantine is to me an unnecessary stressor on the bird, particularly if you'd be getting two new birds at once and not introducing a new one to an established pet. Most parakeets are unhappy alone and will adjust much quicker with a companion.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
Defiantly no snuggle huts as they can cause strangulation, crop impaction and/or hormonal behaviour.

Quarantine is a must, as a bird (especially from pet stores or low quality breeders) could pass on an illness which they could be hiding, yes the birds might be upset but it's better then both having an infection, French moult, yest infections, parrot Fever (Psittacosis) and then having to pay vet bills to treat both.

If you do decide on another bird, I would also recommend keeping budgies in even numbers to reduce fighting (though exceptions can be made) and introducing them separately so they dont bully the individual bird.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
It depends on how much attention you can give her. She will more likely bond with you if there are no other parakeets around.

She sounds like one lucky parakeet.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Please think of your bird or birds as companions. Pet seems to refer to a dog or cat. I remember in your other thread you asked about getting a second budgie. Is that you plan?